• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible 2.0

Kelly of the Phoenix

I have a question and would like someone's thoughts on the matter:

Are there any books that essentially are books of the bible, but written more like modern novels would be?

Axe Elf

Prophet
There are no modern novels that are essentially books of the Bible, no.

However, there is a paraphrased Bible called "The Message" that has basically rewritten the Bible into modern English, with modern grammar and colloquialisms, if that's what you're looking for.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Are there any books that essentially are books of the bible, but written more like modern novels would be?

Why does it have to be the Bible? :D

There are thousands of other spiritual works that are far more interesting and insightful.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Why does it have to be the Bible? :D

There are thousands of other spiritual works that are far more interesting and insightful.

Such a silly response. It has to be the Bible because that's what she is interested in.

If she had asked, "Hey, does anybody know where I can watch The Wizard of Oz?" you'd probably say, "Why does it have to be The Wizard of Oz? There are thousands of other movies that have far better special effects."

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Such a silly response. It has to be the Bible because that's what she is interested in.

If she had asked, "Hey, does anybody know where I can watch The Wizard of Oz?" you'd probably say, "Why does it have to be The Wizard of Oz? There are thousands of other movies that have far better special effects."

I didn't mean it that way, but more if you don't like how the Bible reads maybe it's time to open one's perspective. You're not cheating on your faith by expanding your awareness of other paths of spirituality - just avoiding boredom. If I had to read the Bible only for all spiritual insights, I probably wouldn't know nearly half of what I do. No where in the Bible does it say you cannot read other books, only that you should follow this one. :D

Axe Elf

Prophet
I didn't mean it that way, but more if you don't like how the Bible reads maybe it's time to open one's perspective. You're not cheating on your faith by expanding your awareness of other paths of spirituality - just avoiding boredom. If I had to read the Bible only for all spiritual insights, I probably wouldn't know nearly half of what I do. No where in the Bible does it say you cannot read other books, only that you should follow this one. :D

Straw man. Neither the OP nor anyone else has suggested that one should ONLY read the Bible.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Straw man. Neither the OP nor anyone else has suggested that one should ONLY read the Bible.

Pfft, I answered your strawman in the only way someone can intelligibly answer it then get accused of straw manning 'who'? Yes, there is no object so there is no straw man. I'm having a conversation with a rock. Ignore list +1. I just don't have the time in the day.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Pfft, I answered your strawman in the only way someone can intelligibly answer it then get accused of straw manning 'who'? Yes, there is no object so there is no straw man. I'm having a conversation with a rock. Ignore list +1. I just don't have the time in the day.

If you are a man of your word, then you won't have to watch as I educate others as to what a straw man argument is. It does not require an "object." The straw man fallacy occurs when one gives the impression of refuting their opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by the opponent.

So, when you argued against reading ONLY the Bible for spiritual insights, you were refuting a position that was not presented by the OP (who merely asked where she might find books that were essentially Biblical books but written like a modern novel) nor myself (who indicated that your response was needlessly antagonistic)--so I called it what it was, a straw man argument.

Try to do better than Mindmaster, everyone.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

None of them have Judy Garland dressed like EllyMae though.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

Og Mandino wrote a book called "The Christ Commission" that told the story of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus in a novel form. I know it's not the whole Bible but is a good read none the less.

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
None of them have Judy Garland dressed like EllyMae though.

Well, neither does the Bible, although some of those OT authors could get pretty steamy.

Your stature is like that of the palm, and your breasts like clusters of fruit. I said, “I will climb the palm tree; I will take hold of its fruit.” --Song of Solomon 7:7-8 (NIV)

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. --Ezekiel 23:20 (NIV)

For the whole house of Ahab shall perish: and I will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel --2 Kings 9:8 (KJV)

TRIVIA: How many times does the word "pisseth" appear in the King James Version of the Bible?

UPSIDE-DOWN ANSWER: 9

P.S. I hope this isn't what she meant by "essentially books of the bible, but written more like modern novels would be."

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Well, neither does the Bible, although some of those OT authors could get pretty steamy.

Your stature is like that of the palm, and your breasts like clusters of fruit. I said, “I will climb the palm tree; I will take hold of its fruit.” --Song of Solomon 7:7-8 (NIV)

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. --Ezekiel 23:20 (NIV)

For the whole house of Ahab shall perish: and I will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel --2 Kings 9:8 (KJV)

TRIVIA: How many times does the word "pisseth" appear in the King James Version of the Bible?

P.S. I hope this isn't what she meant by "essentially books of the bible, but written more like modern novels would be."
The Bible has Bathsheba though. Much better than EllyMae. Oh crap, did I say that out loud?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

Trivia; As pertaining to dogs or humans.

How many times was the expression, return to his vomit, used.