• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best way Muslims can Jihad

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I live with a Muslim who is humble, kind to infidels, and meek. If every Muslim would behave like that there would be more converts to Islam.

I listen to the Qur'an with him, face Mecca, and prostate myself to Allah, and pray in Arabic with him out of respect for what he holds sacred.

Seeing his good example has lead me to respect Islam.

The best way Muslims can wage Jihad is to behave like him. (Mustafa , peace be upon him :) )

I used to despise Islam. Not anymore. Thanks to him largely.

I used to pray at a mosque in Buffalo New York. A grumpy Palestinian made me sit in the back of the mosque because I wasn't Muslim. Others were kind. The kinder ones were the ones that made me want to return and learn more about Islam, possibly even convert.

I was rebuked on one occasion for having alcohol on my breath. Some of them were pissed. Another smiled and put his arm around me. The one that made me most likely to convert was the one who showed mercy and kindness.

Anyway, Mustafa, peace be upon him, gave me his only taqiyah (sacred skullcap) and amamah (turban) just now after our study of the Koran. It is precious to me and a holy relic. I'll wear it when I pray and hold respect for what Muslims hold as sacred , despite the fact that I naturally hold Islam as my least favorite Religion.

Meeting Mustafa changed my views. That shows me what one good Muslim can do. I can't thank him enough.

His example teaches me more about Allah than the Bible and Koran combined.

The best way to fight and sacrifice oneself for the cause of Allah is to behave like him.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Also, Islamic countries should respect what others hold as sacred. In our current enlightened age, I can't think of a Christian country that outlaws the Koran or the public practice of other faiths. Neither do I see a Christian country where a woman can be legally sexually assaulted for not abiding by the dress code.

In some Muslim countries, that is not the case. Instituting such policies weakens Islam by increasing Islamaphobia. Likewise, the fanatics and Jihadists are defeating the Islamic Jihad by filling people with disgust for Islam.

Behave yourself like Mustafa and you do the most to strengthen Islam. Persecute other faiths and fight with violence and you do a HUGE disservice to Allah, Muhammad, and the Islamic faith!

Mohsen

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
I was rebuked on one occasion for having alcohol on my breath.

Where I live in London, we have a lovely Mosque. One Friday a man came and sat beside me. It wasn't uncommon to see a white man in our masjid because we have people from all races as Muslims here. He made salaat (worship) with us and then, as I stood up to leave, so did he - and this is when I noticed he had been drinking. I didn't say anything about that. But I did realise, I hadn't seen him before. So I assumed he was a non Muslim, in some kind of trouble, and needed a break from life... some centering and reconnecting with God. I silently thanked God that it was me he sat next to, because someone else may have judged him. I introduced myself, gave him an hug in the traditional Arab way, and then got talking with him. He quickly mentioned that he was not a Muslim but had great respect for Muslims and Islam, and that he was here to find some balance. We made some small talk, as we joined the queue of Muslims trying to leave the mosque. It was here that one brother whispered in my ear "He's been drinking dude" so I said to him "he's not Muslim, leave him to me, he is my guest" and that was that. When we got outside, this gentleman and myself we parted ways, and the Muslim brother who had whispered in my ear decided to engage with me. "Why did you bring him here?"
"I did not," I returned.
"But, he should know better than to come to a masjid drunk"
"He didn't look drunk to me," I fired back.
"But, he was smelling of booze"
"Maybe he only had one drink, and decided to come here before he became drunk?"
"Yeah but he should know better than to come to an holy place drunk"
"Maybe it was Allah who had invited him, and this experience may be a seed planted?" I suggested. The young man paused, and nodded, "yeah, you might be right. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit" he said, and this is when I put my hand on his shoulder and said "Maybe we are both right, but not both wrong, eh?" he smiled, I smiled and when i turned around, I saw the white bloke who had sat next to me, smiling as he was walking back to me "thank you, thank you. I wanted to apologise for coming here in my state, don't get me wrong, I am not drunk or anything, but I have had a whiskey and I just realised, I shouldn't have done that, it was quite disrespectful." I interjected, "Brother, maybe you can come again, and come t-total?",
"Yes," he said, "I would like that".

I never saw him again. But I remember that experience often.

I'm pleased it was me he sat next to, and not someone who may have misjudged him.

People are only people. We should be kind and afford respect to everyone, especially if they are in a suffering state - the last thing we should do is judge them because we, ourselves are not free of sin.

Peace.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I live with a Muslim who is humble, kind to infidels, and meek. If every Muslim would behave like that there would be more converts to Islam.

I listen to the Qur'an with him, face Mecca, and prostate myself to Allah, and pray in Arabic with him out of respect for what he holds sacred.

Seeing his good example has lead me to respect Islam.

The best way Muslims can wage Jihad is to behave like him. (Mustafa , peace be upon him :) )

I used to despise Islam. Not anymore. Thanks to him largely.

I used to pray at a mosque in Buffalo New York. A grumpy Palestinian made me sit in the back of the mosque because I wasn't Muslim. Others were kind. The kinder ones were the ones that made me want to return and learn more about Islam, possibly even convert.

I was rebuked on one occasion for having alcohol on my breath. Some of them were pissed. Another smiled and put his arm around me. The one that made me most likely to convert was the one who showed mercy and kindness.

Anyway, Mustafa, peace be upon him, gave me his only taqiyah (sacred skullcap) and amamah (turban) just now after our study of the Koran. It is precious to me and a holy relic. I'll wear it when I pray and hold respect for what Muslims hold as sacred , despite the fact that I naturally hold Islam as my least favorite Religion.

Meeting Mustafa changed my views. That shows me what one good Muslim can do. I can't thank him enough.

His example teaches me more about Allah than the Bible and Koran combined.

The best way to fight and sacrifice oneself for the cause of Allah is to behave like him.

Theologically, there exists at least a couple of different understandings of jihad. So perhaps this says more about Mustafa than Islam.

Mohsen

Theologically, there exists at least a couple of different understandings of jihad. So perhaps this says more about Mustafa than Islam.

Jihad has nothing to do with "theology".

Jihad simply means "struggle".

And there are types of struggle. In Islam, the "Greater Jihad (Great struggle)" is of the soul, for it to conquer itself and curb its carnal and selfish nature, in lieu of finding peace and contentment through worship, and patience.

The lesser Jihad is the one in which defensive wars are fought out of necessity.

Nothing to do with our belief in God - rather, how we ourselves rise above our own "conditions" through are own "efforts" by the will of God!!!

Peace

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Where I live in London, we have a lovely Mosque. One Friday a man came and sat beside me. It wasn't uncommon to see a white man in our masjid because we have people from all races as Muslims here. He made salaat (worship) with us and then, as I stood up to leave, so did he - and this is when I noticed he had been drinking. I didn't say anything about that. But I did realise, I hadn't seen him before. So I assumed he was a non Muslim, in some kind of trouble, and needed a break from life... some centering and reconnecting with God. I silently thanked God that it was me he sat next to, because someone else may have judged him. I introduced myself, gave him an hug in the traditional Arab way, and then got talking with him. He quickly mentioned that he was not a Muslim but had great respect for Muslims and Islam, and that he was here to find some balance. We made some small talk, as we joined the queue of Muslims trying to leave the mosque. It was here that one brother whispered in my ear "He's been drinking dude" so I said to him "he's not Muslim, leave him to me, he is my guest" and that was that. When we got outside, this gentleman and myself we parted ways, and the Muslim brother who had whispered in my ear decided to engage with me. "Why did you bring him here?"
"I did not," I returned.
"Maybe it was Allah who had invited him, and this experience may be a seed planted?" I suggested. The young man paused, and nodded, "yeah, you might be right. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit" he said, and this is when I put my hand on his shoulder and said "Maybe we are both right, but not both wrong, eh?" he smiled, I smiled and when i turned around, I saw the white bloke who had sat next to me, smiling as he was walking back to me "thank you, thank you. I wanted to apologise for coming here in my state, don't get me wrong, I am not drunk or anything, but I have had a whiskey and I just realised, I shouldn't have done that, it was quite disrespectful." I interjected, "Brother, maybe you can come again, and come t-total?",

I'm pleased it was me he sat next to, and not someone who may have misjudged him.

People are only people. We should be kind and afford respect to everyone, especially if they are in a suffering state - the last thing we should do is judge them because we, ourselves are not free of sin.

Peace.
That's a good head on your shoulders! God loves you!

I believe Allah sent that man to you. May you be rewarded! :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Islam is what he holds as sacred. It's the center of his life and what he lives by. His behavior speaks louder about Islam than the Koran and Hadith's.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Islam is what he holds as sacred. It's the center of his life and what he lives by. His behavior speaks louder about Islam than the Koran and Hadith's.

And the behavior of those who had you sit in the rear of the Mosque does not?

Seems to me decent folks are decent folks regardless of their religion or theology.

Decent people will find a way to justify their behavior according to their religion just as much as those who are not so decent.

I suppose the point is religion doesn't really define a person. I mean knowing a person is a Christian, Muslim, Jew or atheist, does this knowledge actually tell you anything about a person?

A person of any faith, believe or non-belief can behave decently towards you, or act like an a$$. So sometimes I wonder what religion really has to do with it.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
And the behavior of those who had you sit in the rear of the Mosque does not?

Seems to me decent folks are decent folks regardless of their religion or theology.

Decent people will find a way to justify their behavior according to their religion just as much as those who are not so decent.

I suppose the point is religion doesn't really define a person. I mean knowing a person is a Christian, Muslim, Jew or atheist, does this knowledge actually tell you anything about a person?

A person of any faith, believe or non-belief can behave decently towards you, or act like an a$$. So sometimes I wonder what religion really has to do with it.
A person's behavior speaks volumes about what they believe and base their lives on.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Jihad has nothing to do with "theology".

Jihad simply means "struggle".

And there are types of struggle. In Islam, the "Greater Jihad (Great struggle)" is of the soul, for it to conquer itself and curb its carnal and selfish nature, in lieu of finding peace and contentment through worship, and patience.

The lesser Jihad is the one in which defensive wars are fought out of necessity.

Nothing to do with our belief in God - rather, how we ourselves rise above our own "conditions" through are own "efforts" by the will of God!!!

Peace

Ok, the OP was offered as a theological concept. I was making an effort to reply accordingly in that spirit.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A person's behavior speaks volumes about what they believe and base their lives on.

Or, what a person believes and base their lives on is part of their behavior.

One presumes we have a choice in our behavior, the other presumes we act according to our nature.

You don't have to agree but it seems to me easy enough to find a way to use religion to justify our behavior. Folks do, do that right? Whether you agree with their behavior or not.

Theology comes down to discussing our ideal version of God based on the behavior we think God/Allah should have. So we interpret words like jihad/struggle according to what we feel is appropriate behavior, just as those folks who judged your drinking as improper.

I'm not picking on Islam by any means. Just that we have to constantly question what we accept because of our tendency for confirmation bias.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Or, what a person believes and base their lives on is part of their behavior.

One presumes we have a choice in our behavior, the other presumes we act according to our nature.

You don't have to agree but it seems to me easy enough to find a way to use religion to justify our behavior. Folks do, do that right? Whether you agree with their behavior or not.

Theology comes down to discussing our ideal version of God based on the behavior we think God/Allah should have. So we interpret words like jihad/struggle according to what we feel is appropriate behavior, just as those folks who judged your drinking as improper.

I'm not picking on Islam by any means. Just that we have to constantly question what we accept because of our tendency for confirmation bias.
I agree

Mohsen

Nakosis -

You're strawmanning him, and you know nothing about him. If this is how you attempt to make a point, then you are "Pointless".

The Qur'an and the ahadeeth are what every Muslim hold sacred - as these are Islam! You can't split them up, bud! No Muslims will ever claim his Islam is not the Qur'an nor the Sunnah (ahadeeth)! Islam is sacred because of the teachings within the Qur'an and the Sunnah (ahadeeth) I think this major point is flying over your proverbial cuckoo's nest!

That's a good head on your shoulders! God loves you!

I believe Allah sent that man to you. May you be rewarded! :)

Amen! God bless you too, PopeADope,

Peace

Mohsen

May I ask you what is funny with this ? If muslims communities were advanced in tech and arts, things would be tottaly different, don't you agree ?
They already are totally different - ever seen the architecture of Muslim buildings? they employ both, math and geometry as well as artistic licence to brilliant effect. From the Persian, Ottoman, Turkish, Moroccan, Yemenite, Russian-Islamic, Indo-Islamic, Sino-Islamic, Indo-Malay, Sahelian-Islamic, Somali-Islamic, Masri, Ribat, Qasri, to of course Medinite and more - we find the Architecture alone celebrates a world changing movement by which, buildings such as the White House mirror Domes and high rise buildings like sky scrapers base their principles on that of the earliest Minarets from the Muslim nations.

And this, is just the example from "Architecture"... this is why I find your post "funny"!!! I can change the fruball to a "friendly" if you like. I know you mean well!

peace

Mohsen

I want to see an ecumenical Islam

Islamic theology is sound and rooted in firm foundations - we don't need to have words like "ecumenical" to drive home the concept of united theology - Christians have that issue with the varying theologies within the various Christian sects which is why the Ecumenical Movements are pushed for by the Catholic Church. Muslims however, do not suffer such theological conundrums and so, do not need to have such concepts to incorporate - they would be pointless. Like I said, Islamic Theology is on firm foundations.

One thing you may be unaware of, is that the varying Muslim sects are overwhelmingly all political, and not theological at all.

Peace

Mohsen

From a blonde haired White American Woman...

...my faith in the people of the USA is starting to self restore! About time too!

peace

Mohsen

That would be as difficult to achieve as this.

Ecumenicalism is strictly a Christian thing - read my post in this thread:

Islamic theology is sound and rooted in firm foundations - we don't need to have words like "ecumenical" to drive home the concept of united theology - Christians have that issue with the varying theologies within the various Christian sects which is why the Ecumenical Movements are pushed for by the Catholic Church. Muslims however, do not suffer such theological conundrums and so, do not need to have such concepts to incorporate - they would be pointless. Like I said, Islamic Theology is on firm foundations.

One thing you may be unaware of, is that the varying Muslim sects are overwhelmingly all political, and not theologically compromised at all.

Peace

David1967

Premium Member
Where I live in London, we have a lovely Mosque. One Friday a man came and sat beside me. It wasn't uncommon to see a white man our masjid because we have people from all races as Muslims here. He made salaat (worship) with us and then, as I stood up to leave, so did he - and this is when I noticed he had been drinking. I didn't say anything about that. But I did realise, I hadn't seen him before. So I assumed he was a non Muslim, in some kind of trouble, and needed a break from life... some centering and reconnecting with God. I silently thanked God that it was me he sat next to, because someone else may have judged him. I introduced myself, gave him an hug in the traditional Arab way, and then got talking with him. He quickly mentioned that he was not a Muslim but had great respect for Muslims and Islam, and that he was here to find some balance. We made some small talk, as we joined the queue of Muslims trying to leave the mosque. It was here that one brother whispered in my ear "He's been drinking dude" so I said to him "he's not Muslim, leave him to me, he is my guest" and that was that. When we got outside, this gentleman and myself we parted ways, and the Muslim brother who had whispered in my ear decided to engage with me. "Why did you bring him here?"
"I did not," I returned.

Peace.

Good for you Mohsen. Faith expressed through compassion is much better than a type of cold legalism. Even though you never saw this man again, your kindness toward him may have had a profound effect on the direction of his life. Over here in the USA we have a saying : "Better to see a good sermon than to hear one. " :)

Last edited: