• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best reversal of an Atheist argument I have ever heard.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Hello guys, many of you know me very well as we have debated everything under the sun, to the point I have over 12,000 debates. However I have decided that this is almost a waste of time (from God's point of view at this point) and decided to go to Biola and get my masters certificate in Apologetics (which is simply a word from the Greek - Apologia) which simply means to give a defense of. And to use all that I have learned through a several decades long passion for debate to train local evangelistic teams.

I don't watch William Lane Craig much anymore. He sticks to the same dozen arguments or so which have no refutation worth putting up with. However I happened to catch a new argument he made and anyone familiar with debate will appreciate the simple wisdom in his response.

1. The Atheist said what anyone that is familiar with debate or philosophy sees as a legitimate demand of a miraculous claim. He said a resurrection (Jesus) is an extraordinary event and requires extraordinary evidence. All of us would probably heartily agree with this seemingly absolute requirement.

a. My response would have been to show the evidence we have for the resurrection compared to any in ancient history is extraordinary. BTW that what countless lawyers and historians do say. However we are not quite in Craig's league.

2. Craig responded that in this case only two things were necessary to prove a resurrection of Christ occurred. No extraordinary evidence was required, two easy and mundane things were all that was necessary.

A. The ability of those responsible to know a person is actually dead.
The Romans (at peril of their own lives) were experts at knowing when a person was dead. They even knew how to keep a person at the point of death, but not cross the line until they decided to. So as to exact maximum suffering. Those assigned to actual crucifixion were experts at knowing that a person had died (again at the peril of their own lives). They even ensured it whether they doubted it or not but thrusting a 4 inch spear through the heart, or breaking both legs.

B. The ability of people afterwards to know if a guy was alive or not.
Only two candidates are known in accepted history to have lived through Roman crucifixion. A guy who was taken down as soon as put up (forget his name but it is easily google-ed), when the order was rescinded, and Jesus Christ being the only other well known possibility.

I do not offer this as proof of Christianity, I offer it as the wisdom God gives those on his side that makes a mockery of man's simplistic axioms and demands. I do not intend to defend every desperate argument dredged up to refute this. I simply offer it as a thing of philosophical excellence. Maybe you can find secondary faults in the argument as a whole but you must admire how that time honored demand traditional demand for extraordinary evidence was completely dismantled.

As I said I don't debate here much any longer, but only wanted this thing of philosophic beauty available to as many as I could. I will read any responses but make no promise to respond to them. I did not intend to start a debate over an un-debatable response. I have seen him use this three times and not one opponent contradicted it, refuted it, or showed that it was unsatisfactory in any way. They simply changed subject.

Hello to any of my old debate opponents, that might see this.

outhouse

Atheistically

He probably did die.

And ended up possibly feeding wild dogs and birds

AND remarkable the first gospel to come out originally made almost NO mention of the resurrection. It was a non event to these authors in this community.

Had it been a real event the authors would have led with that story, instead they say literally very little about.

ONLT later redactors edited the piece adding the resurrection to match the other gospels that had to copy Marks works.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Only two candidates are known in accepted history to have lived through Roman crucifixion. A guy who was taken down as soon as put up (forget his name but it is easily google-ed), when the order was rescinded, and Jesus Christ being the only other well known possibility.
Begging the question.

Shad

Veteran Member
1. The Atheist said what anyone that is familiar with debate or philosophy sees as a legitimate demand of a miraculous claim. He said a resurrection (Jesus) is an extraordinary event and requires extraordinary evidence. All of us would probably heartily agree with this seemingly absolute requirement.
a. My response would have been to show the evidence we have for the resurrection compared to any in ancient history is extraordinary. BTW that what countless lawyers and historians do say. However we are not quite in Craig's league.

Repeating mythological stories is not evidence of Jesus' resurrection. Besides if you allow for this as evidence you can not omit the religious explanations of these resurrections while maintaining the Christian explanation. You must acknowledge these explanation as legitimate which destroys Christians exclusive claims regarding god(s) and other religions. Your argument is parallelism along with omission of factors that will not favour Christianity at all. All you have done is mimic Richard Carrier's argument but with a pro-Jesus view. Lawyers views are irrelevant. Historians views can be also countered by other historians that reject the idea of a resurrection. The lack of scientific evidence can counter both.

2. Craig responded that in this case only two things were necessary to prove a resurrection of Christ occurred. No extraordinary evidence was required, two easy and mundane things were all that was necessary.

The Romans (at peril of their own lives) were experts at knowing when a person was dead. They even knew how to keep a person at the point of death, but not cross the line until they decided to. So as to exact maximum suffering. Those assigned to actual crucifixion were experts at knowing that a person had died (again at the peril of their own lives). They even ensured it whether they doubted it or not but thrusting a 4 inch spear through the heart, or breaking both legs.

Which just means that Jesus was dead but the resurrection can still be pure mythology.

Begging the question as you have yet to establish the Christ view which you are arguing right now...

I do not offer this as proof of Christianity, I offer it as the wisdom God gives those on his side that makes a mockery of man's simplistic axioms and demands. I do not intend to defend every desperate argument dredged up to refute this. I simply offer it as a thing of philosophical excellence. Maybe you can find secondary faults in the argument as a whole but you must admire how that time honored demand traditional demand for extraordinary evidence was completely dismantled.

Typical hedging of one's bets in which you present evidence then call "not evidence" Yet the terminology you have used shows that this is considered evidence...

As I said I don't debate here much any longer, but only wanted this thing of philosophic beauty available to as many as I could. I will read any responses but make no promise to respond to them. I did not intend to start a debate over an un-debatable response. I have seen him use this three times and not one opponent contradicted it, refuted it, or showed that it was unsatisfactory in any way. They simply changed subject.

Sophistry is beautiful to those that think it is philosophy.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
(reposting it here from the duplicate thread)

Except we have zero contemporary accounts from anyone who was around at the time of Jesus' supposed death who recorded it, and we have zero contemporary accounts from anyone who was around at the time of Jesus' supposed resurrection who recorded it. That is, as far as I'm aware.

Also, it's very telling that Craig's standard of evidence for such an extraordinary claim is so absurdly low. By this logic, he has no basis on which to deny almost any miraculous or supernatural account given by any other religion in the world's history.

Shad

Veteran Member
(reposting it here from the duplicate thread)

Except we have zero contemporary accounts from anyone who was around at the time of Jesus' supposed death who recorded it, and we have zero contemporary accounts from anyone who was around at the time of Jesus' supposed resurrection who recorded it. That is, as far as I'm aware.

Also, it's very telling that Craig's standard of evidence for such an extraordinary claim is so absurdly low. By this logic, he has no basis on which to deny almost any miraculous or supernatural account given by any other religion in the world's history.

Craig is on record for stating his "evidence" is the Holy Spirit and nothing will change this view even evidence against it. So he holds two standards of evidence One which is completely subjective, unverifiable and unfalsifiable. The other is a standard of evidence used by every other system that actually produces results

outhouse

Atheistically
I simply offer it as a thing of philosophical excellence.

No you do not.

You do understand philosophy is merely an opinion on an argument often with no credible conclusion.

OFTEN Those who employ philosophy in a historical setting, are doing so out of desperation and weakness unable to defend their historical position, much of the time faith based :rolleyes:

outhouse

Atheistically
Craig is on record for stating his "evidence" is the Holy Spirit and nothing will change this view even evidence against it. So he holds two standards of evidence One which is completely subjective, unverifiable and unfalsifiable. The other is a standard of evidence used by every other system that actually produces results

he is such a Joke.

credible people wont even debate him.

He is a skilled debater and that is his only claim to fame combined with his fallacious appeal to popularity.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
And Saul/Paul also said.......
~
oh forget it, they're not listening anyway
~
'mud

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
As I said I don't debate here much any longer, but only wanted this thing of philosophic beauty available to as many as I could.
if the OP is an example of "philosophical beauty", you have merely reinforced the idea that philosophy is about worthless when it comes to truth.

Laika

Premium Member
However I have decided that this is almost a waste of time (from God's point of view at this point) and decided to go to Biola and get my masters certificate in Apologetics (which is simply a word from the Greek - Apologia) which simply means to give a defense of. And to use all that I have learned through a several decades long passion for debate to train local evangelistic teams.

Best of luck. :)

Kelly of the Phoenix

The Romans (at peril of their own lives) were experts at knowing when a person was dead.
Based on what? We have very expensive equipment nowadays to PROVE brain or heart death, and people STILL say "no, my loved one is still ALIVE". When Jesus was curing a girl, they all thought she was dead and Jesus noted she was just sleeping (comatose). Unlike Lazarus' death, where he used sleep as a euphemism before confirming DEATH, in this instance, Jesus confirms she is still alive. This scene throws doubt on the ability to confirm death, doesn't it? And even today, people said to be dead can just come alive again. It's a complicated diagnostic issue, apparently. Given how the crucifixion is portrayed, I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest Jesus definitely died.

They even knew how to keep a person at the point of death, but not cross the line until they decided to. So as to exact maximum suffering.
Then why is everyone shocked when Jesus died "early"? If they were experts, it shouldn't have happened, right?

They even ensured it whether they doubted it or not but thrusting a 4 inch spear through the heart, or breaking both legs.
From
John 19: 34howbeit one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and straightway there came out blood and water.
And then in ... wait, this ONLY happens in John? WTH? No "4 inches", no "through the heart" ... just "pierced his side".

Let's review some abdominal trauma facts.
Specifically,
Gunshot wounds are associated with a high incidence of intra-abdominal injuries and nearly always mandate laparotomy. Stab wounds are associated with a significantly lower incidence of intra-abdominal injuries; therefore, expectant management is indicated in hemodynamically stable patients.
There are two things that bug me: that he bleeds and that water comes out. True, simple gravity could cause blood to come out, but water? If Jesus had something like congestive heart failure or some other fluid overload related problem, the Romans essentially "fixed it" when they pierced him (assuming they did, since I looked at all four gospel accounts and this ONLY happens in John. Hence, he woke up a few days later. You know what would be a REAL good way to make sure he died? Bury him, not put him in an above-ground room. It's funny: almost all people who come back to life didn't have to dig through 6 feet of dirt first...

There's also this. I almost wonder if crucifixion killed anyone at all, since most victims had the crap beaten out of them first. They were likely almost dead to begin with. However, with so little actual medical evidence other than (essentially) "they poked him with the pointy end", it is difficult to determine. I don't see they checked for a pulse. I don't see they checked for breath. It's almost like Dr. Evil:
Scott Evil: What? Are you feeding him? Why don't you just kill him?
Dr. Evil: I have an even better idea. I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death.
I do not offer this as proof of Christianity
That's good, since talking about crucifixion doesn't really disprove or prove anything about Christianity. It's good for a medical discussion, but not theological.

Maybe you can find secondary faults in the argument as a whole but you must admire how that time honored demand traditional demand for extraordinary evidence was completely dismantled.
LOL ... your ENTIRE argument is based on "Romans were scared to say they botched it" and "people can live through crucifixion". I'm a theist (refuse, due to Christianity's lack of Christ, to call myself Christian anymore), for God's sake. I wouldn't accept this stupid Jack Chick Tract "logic" either.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Based on what? We have very expensive equipment nowadays to PROVE brain or heart death, and people STILL say "no, my loved one is still ALIVE". When Jesus was curing a girl, they all thought she was dead and Jesus noted she was just sleeping (comatose). Unlike Lazarus' death, where he used sleep as a euphemism before confirming DEATH, in this instance, Jesus confirms she is still alive. This scene throws doubt on the ability to confirm death, doesn't it? And even today, people said to be dead can just come alive again. It's a complicated diagnostic issue, apparently. Given how the crucifixion is portrayed, I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest Jesus definitely died.

Then why is everyone shocked when Jesus died "early"? If they were experts, it shouldn't have happened, right?

From

And then in ... wait, this ONLY happens in John? WTH? No "4 inches", no "through the heart" ... just "pierced his side".

Let's review some abdominal trauma facts.
Specifically,

There are two things that bug me: that he bleeds and that water comes out. True, simple gravity could cause blood to come out, but water? If Jesus had something like congestive heart failure or some other fluid overload related problem, the Romans essentially "fixed it" when they pierced him (assuming they did, since I looked at all four gospel accounts and this ONLY happens in John. Hence, he woke up a few days later. You know what would be a REAL good way to make sure he died? Bury him, not put him in an above-ground room. It's funny: almost all people who come back to life didn't have to dig through 6 feet of dirt first...

There's also this. I almost wonder if crucifixion killed anyone at all, since most victims had the crap beaten out of them first. They were likely almost dead to begin with. However, with so little actual medical evidence other than (essentially) "they poked him with the pointy end", it is difficult to determine. I don't see they checked for a pulse. I don't see they checked for breath. It's almost like Dr. Evil:

That's good, since talking about crucifixion doesn't really disprove or prove anything about Christianity. It's good for a medical discussion, but not theological.

LOL ... your ENTIRE argument is based on "Romans were scared to say they botched it" and "people can live through crucifixion". I'm a theist (refuse, due to Christianity's lack of Christ, to call myself Christian anymore), for God's sake. I wouldn't accept this stupid Jack Chick Tract "logic" either.

Wow. That IS a different spin. Thats a good thread to talk about the medical perspective involving Jesus death and crucifiction.

SpeaksForTheTrees

John 3:21
But whoever lives by the truth, comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly,that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

I do not often use scripture... , for those that can live !!!no believe ,,,live by the truth will come into the light and things will become as clear as day

The subjective reality of Jesus his soul could not be crucified only the mortal body. Why make things so complicated .
A simple man doh must be able to know Jesus not just those with a masters

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
John 3:21
But whoever lives by the truth, comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly,that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

I do not often use scripture... , for those that can live !!!no believe ,,,live by the truth will come into the light and things will become as clear as day

The subjective reality of Jesus his soul could not be crucified only the mortal body. Why make things so complicated .
A simple man doh must be able to know Jesus not just those with a masters ya noob ;-)

So maybe you can explain why the first gospel the other authors copied verbatim in places, barely mentioned the resurrection at all.

If something so miraculous really happened you would think they would have gushed on and on about it. Not just a like a sidebar note.

The ending of mark was added much later then the original compilation of rhetorical prose.