• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Best of All Beliefs

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Lets say you had to opportunity to take the best aspect from each religious belief in the world.

What would you have?

One all-encompassing rule?
A set of rules?
Rituals to perform?
Would you need an entire book to contain the wisdom?
Or just a few concise words?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Lets say you had to opportunity to take the best aspect from each religious belief in the world.

What would you have?

A set of rules?
Rituals to perform?

Define religious. I mean it.

Lain

What would you have?

A set of rules?
Rituals to perform?

A weird question to me as I consider my religion to have the fullness of truth and others to be correct or good inasmuch as they agree with it in a hierarchy from the closest to the furthest away. But I suppose if it were done I'd end up with just the Greatest Commandment and the second which is like it, as many religions have this aspect to a greater or lesser degree in my opinion:

"‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I'd rather leave it up to those who choose to respond but ok,
I suppose in a very broad sense, anything having to do with spiritual progress.

Okay, then I have none in my understanding of spiritual. All mine are secular and at best existential, but not spiritual as they don't require a belief in the spirit.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Okay, then I have none in my understanding of spiritual. All mine are secular and at best existential, but not spiritual as they don't require a belief in the spirit.
Maybe you ought to ask how I define spiritual.
I see spiritual and mental as the same. Spiritual health = mental health.
Buddhism for example I see as a pursuit in mental health.
I understand people will have different definitions for these but I see the intent as the same.
Peace, peace of mind. Happiness. The attempt to make sense of our state of existence.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Maybe you ought to ask how I define spiritual.
I see spiritual and mental as the same. Spiritual health = mental health.
Buddhism for example I see as a pursuit in mental health.
I understand people will have different definitions for these but I see the intent as the same.
Peace, peace of mind. Happiness. The attempt to make sense of our state of existence.

Ahh, well, then the standard for my kind; secular humanism with human rights and a welfare state. I.e. give the possibility of growth, but how is up to the individual.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

What would you have?

A set of rules?
Rituals to perform?
Another cluster****.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Ahh, well, then the standard for my kind; secular humanism with human rights and a welfare state. I.e. give the possibility of growth, but how is up to the individual.

I've found myself thinking that if I didn't have to work for a living, I could have a very productive life.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Your work life would be different in different cultures.

True but here I find myself.
I had an acquaintance from Cambodia, who told me when they lived there, they only work 3 months of the year which provided them enough money for the remaining 9 months. They came to the US for opportunity, but found that now in order to survive they had to work constantly.

Twilight Hue

I'm not a big fan of the golden rule but it does provide a base/useful level of decency.
I like the idea of cornering your fields to help the less fortunate get back on one's feet.

Assuming you actually have some corners left to give. But I suppose it's not an entirely materialist saying.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's a great goal but I think evolution is far too strong for any of it to be feasible. One can always hope though.

Out of curiosity, IOW, not that you need to answer, but what is it about evolution that keeps us from peace and happiness?

Twilight Hue

I've found myself thinking that if I didn't have to work for a living, I could have a very productive life.
It's why a universal income is appealing.

When you think of it, I would think there is enough tech in the world to actually support life quite comfortably without having to do much labor.

Exception of course made for the development, support, and maintenance of such technology but even some of that can be accomplished by the technology itself.

Oh, Elon Musk eat your heart out.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I like the idea of cornering your fields to help the less fortunate get back on one's feet.

Assuming you actually have some corners left to give. But I suppose it's not an entirely materialist saying.

I think it might be, materialistic.
One needs customers for their product. By helping the poor become a successful part of the economic structure, one is possibly providing themselves a new set of customers.

The fear being that some may make poor use of what is given or neglect it all together.