• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Best Guide

nPeace

Veteran Member
What is the best guide?
Some say your heart. Others say your opinions, thoughts...
Some say, definitely not a book.

The latter is shocking to me, because we use books everyday, which are written by people over centuries. Some of these books are science textbooks, cookbooks, health and medical books, self-help book. You name it, books are very much a part of our lives, and they have helped millions.

Yet, some believe that when it comes to life, we don't need a book. We only need our opinions and ideas. Trial and error.

What though if a person dies because he chose to trust in and follow his own ideas and opinions?
That person never gets to see the outcome.
Yikes. :(
That's does not seem very practical to me.

It's more reasonable to have a guide.
I mean, isn't that why we are happy for good parents and teachers for the children.
If I went hiking, in foreign land, I sure would be happy to have a guide. Man... I'm telling you. ;)

When I get a manual with my brand new Dipmonade, Whew. I'm so relieved.
Don't go looking for Dipmonade. I made that up. :D

The point is, humans are happy for a more experienced person - perhaps a scientist, a doctor, mechanic, ... to guide them, or direct them. Or at least some kind of map, instruction manual, ... to show them the way.

Yet, when it comes to our lives... we want to direct our own steps.
714b8-538466.jpg

14096aaa146c5d8d4f856dc09ce2c4e2.jpg

65a0f19112214824a47cafeab7bb2275

Plastic-Bottle-Polution.png

environmental-problems-pollution_500x500.jpg

e4e4a812ac96d0533a1de86e26cab148.jpg

Yeah, I hear you Mister Urkel.
tenor.gif

LOL
I have heard in recent times many people saying, the animals seem more intelligent than humans.
I've come to understand why.

I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.
Jeremiah 10:23

There is a way that seems right to a man, But in the end it leads to death.
Proverbs 14:12

I think the problem most people have though, is with the Bible, being of any practical value, or being useful as a guide.
What's your experience, or thoughts on the above?
Do you find it more practical to follow your own hear, feelings, thoughts, ideas, opinions... rather than a book?
Do you think the Bible can serve as a guide in our life, in any way?

Redemptionsong

What is the best guide?

The latter is shocking to me, because we use books everyday, which are written by people over centuries. Some of these books are science textbooks, cookbooks, health and medical books, self-help book. You name it, books are very much a part of our lives, and they have helped millions.

Yet, some believe that when it comes to life, we don't need a book. We only need our opinions and ideas. Trial and error.

What though if a person dies because he chose to trust in and follow his own ideas and opinions?

I mean, isn't that why we are happy for good parents and teachers for the children.
If I went hiking, in foreign land, I sure would be happy to have a guide. Man... I'm telling you. ;)

The point is, humans are happy for a more experienced person - perhaps a scientist, a doctor, mechanic, ... to guide them, or direct them. Or at least some kind of map, instruction manual, ... to show them the way.

714b8-538466.jpg

To my understanding the written W

tenor.gif

LOL
I have heard in recent times many people saying, the animals seem more intelligent than humans.

I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.

I think the problem most people have though, is with the Bible, being of any practical value, or being useful as a guide.
Do you find it more practical to follow your own hear, feelings, thoughts, ideas, opinions... rather than a book?
To my understanding, the living Word (Christ) reveals the written word, and, in return, the written word reveals the living Word. A beautiful cycle in perpetual motion.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What is the best guide?

714b8-538466.jpg

tenor.gif

LOL

The weak point of this is, of course, that all your arguments are equally applicable to anyone who wants to follow any guide. Including things like "Mein Kampf". Or guides that contradict themselves.

the logical conclusion. is obvious: following a guide is, per se, not indicative of a reliable epistemology. For the simple reason that its use, can lead to logically contradicting claims of truth.

So, you are back on square one. You have to show that your guide is reliable. And in order to do that, you have to use extra-guide arguments. Which will make your guide useless, to start with.

Ciao

- viole

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What is the best guide?Some say your heart. Others say your opinions, thoughts... Some say, definitely not a book. The latter is shocking to me, because we use books everyday, which are written by people over centuries. Some of these books are science textbooks, cookbooks, health and medical books, self-help book. You name it, books are very much a part of our lives, and they have helped millions.

How many millions did Dr. Spock's books help parents _______He sure was sad in the end.
I find self-help books are often updated or need to be updated, whereas the Bible always stays the same.
As far as 'follow your heart ' Jeremiah 17:9 informs us that our imperfect heart is treacherous.
Our imperfect heart is like having s traitor living within us.
The heart motivates us to do something and after we do it then the heart gives us all the reasons why we should not have done what we just did.

Audie

Veteran Member
The weak point of this is, of course, that all your arguments are equally applicable to anyone who wants to follow any guide. Including things like "Mein Kampf". Or guides that contradict themselves.

the logical conclusion. is obvious: following a guide is, per se, not indicative of a reliable epistemology. For the simple reason that its use, can lead to logically contradicting claims of truth.

So, you are back on square one. You have to show that your guide is reliable. And in order to do that, you have to use extra-guide arguments. Which will make your guide useless, to start with.

Ciao

- viole
It's worse than that.
The followers cant agree if the leader
meant "lo here", or, "lo there'.

Audie

Veteran Member
How many millions did Dr. Spock's books help parents _______He sure was sad in the end.
I find self-help books are often updated or need to be updated, whereas the Bible always stays the same.
As far as 'follow your heart ' Jeremiah 17:9 informs us that our imperfect heart is treacherous.
Our imperfect heart is like having s traitor living within us.
The heart motivates us to do something and after we do it then the heart gives us all the reasons why we should not have done what we just did.
So, following Bible you beat children with
a rod,nail your slaves' ears to the doorframe,
stone adulterers and won't eat clams. Or ducks.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Only in very minor ways.

Perhaps a good way to look at this is that people who give their scripture are putting their one book up against the collective wisdom and knowledge of THOUSANDS of books.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
A good conscience justifies their morality with good understandable reasons based on empathy, trustworthiness, and deservingness. An evil conscience has no such interests and cares not about doing the right things.

Good conscience is self evident if you have empathy, and care about trustworthiness and deservingness. No guidebook needed other than to appreciate important language, and terminology, relationships, and meanings.

If someone is merely following a guidebook without understanding its motives and reasons then that person has no idea what they are doing.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So, following Bible you beat children with a rod,nail your slaves' ears to the doorframe, stone adulterers and won't eat clams. Or ducks.

Even today people pierce their ears. So, if a slave chose to remain with his master his one ear was pierced.
There was No refrigeration back then, so for healthy reasons some foods were off limits.
Adultery was a capital crime.
Not a literal beating as we think today but discipline.

Audie

Veteran Member
Even today people pierce their ears. So, if a slave chose to remain with his master his one ear was pierced.
There was No refrigeration back then, so for healthy reasons some foods were off limits.
Adultery was a capital crime.
Not a literal beating as we think today but discipline.
Sounds like battered wife syndrome

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What is the best guide?

A book or many books, and often many opinions and/or evidence too? But trying to wade through that which is more true than false surely is better than simply believing the one book, so a more widespread appreciation of evidence from the various areas of being human, to me at least, is a more genuine approach than accepting any one belief. And hence doing enough research so as to try to understand where our beliefs might come from in the first place.

To me, it doesn't take much effort to recognise where the truth lies, as to humanity being more peaceful and respectful towards all, and anything which tends to oppose such is more than suspicious - especially when it lies within the human having such or within some particular doctrine or dogma, and especially so if the latter has come from a few thousand years ago. :oops:

Ultimately our best guide is in having a neutral upbringing, enough freedom to obtain appropriate evidence and knowledge, enough intelligence to function properly, and the desire to simply want truth over anything else - even if the truth might not be so forthcoming as and when we would like it. :oops:

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.................., and the desire to simply want truth over anything else - even if the truth might not be so forthcoming as and when we would like it. :oops:

To me the 'truth' (biblical truth) is forthcoming, but for some it's the forthcoming that is Not what one would like it to be.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
To me the 'truth' (biblical truth) is forthcoming, but for some it's the forthcoming that is Not what one would like it to be.
Well some of us no doubt do understand the restrictions as to what science can offer over what imagination can. :oops:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
But other people did eat those foods. But later, during Jesus' time, was there refrigeration? Which made it okay to eat those foods?
I just used refrigeration as an example for those ancient Israelites, especially the pork thing,
I wonder if by the 1st century cooking ways were better known.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Well some of us no doubt do understand the restrictions as to what science can offer over what imagination can. :oops:
Or, what ' known science ' can offer :)
For sure none of us have seen a resurrection performed as Jesus performed.
But without the resurrection belief there is No need for religion.
Just the old eat, drink and be merry because tomorrow we die (die as in gone forever/ extinct)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Or, what ' known science ' can offer :)
For sure none of us have seen a resurrection performed as Jesus performed.
But without the resurrection belief there is No need for religion.
Just the old eat, drink and be merry because tomorrow we die (die as in gone forever/ extinct)
Science has the advantage of changing over time as we learn more, instead of being a drag on progress. Religions, perhaps not so much. :oops:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Science has the advantage of changing over time as we learn more, instead of being a drag on progress. Religions, perhaps not so much. :oops:
Interesting that you say science has the advantage of changing over time which it does.
I think the United States Constitution is designed so it can have built-in changes.
Religion as far as what Jesus taught does Not have any ' disadvantage ' of changing over time.
What is written about what Jesus taught stays the same and never changes, however just as Luke forewarned us at Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30 an apostasy would set in, and last until the Harvest Time found at Matthew 25:31-34.
Because the Bible stays the same: it's advantage is that it does Not ever change, nor need to change, over time.