• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The BEST article I have read on coronavirus

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
this is the best summary of the virus I have read but be warned it is a LONG read but you don't have to read all of it, the beginning is very good. As a religious person, this crisis presents the number one opportunity to put our money where our mouth is so to speak, we who are locked down, not working, have tonnes of time on our hands to be of assistance to our relatives and friends, and if and when we get the virus, after we recover we have a moral obligation to go out into the world and help people who cannot go out, I have spent ages on the phone helping people that need to quarantine like my dad, and uncle and high risk friends with compromised immune systems, I have given advice on how to get groceries and supplies delivered rather than taking risky trips to the market, and info on how long the virus may stay alive on groceries and supplies (7 days for plastic, 2 days for paper and cardboard) etc etc. We all need to do something to help not just ourselves, but those we love and care about, and if your heart is big enough, helping complete strangers. We need to show especial respect for doctors, nurses and other medical workers and for any of those that have to risk contracting the virus to provide essential services, like supermarket workers, mailmen, delivery drivers etc etc Thank you for what you are doing, God loves you for it!!

How the Pandemic Will End

Mindmaster

Premium Member
tThank you for what you are doing, God loves you for it!!

If God is great it'd be a good time to just snap those old fingers and say, "Sorry, folks, my bad." :D

The best thing you can do to help strangers is stay away from them. You won't infect them, they won't infect you. :D

If you've been piling up food like I have for about 3 months and you know your friends lost their jobs make them some of that food, it's the damn least you can do. Or, offer to shop for some old folks because they're literally taking their lives in their hands at the market. You know how many old folks I've been seeing in the store having to do their own shopping? It pisses me off. These young people aren't doing nothing but jerking off online all day. They can literally save their parents or grandparents lives by getting off their *** for a minute.

pearl

There was an interesting comment from a Dr this morning, 'we should not think of separation as 'social distancing' but physical distancing. It is the social network through which we assist one another. My daughter is a homemaker for elders, doing their shopping and the number of clients she has places her in the stores everyday. She shops with mask and gloves and sanitizer.

You know how many old folks I've been seeing in the store having to do their own shopping

At least the stores have set aside a couple of hours for seniors only making it less risky for them to shop. Like all other crises this too bring out both the best and worst of humanity.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
At least the stores have set aside a couple of hours for seniors only making it less risky for them to shop. Like all other crises this too bring out both the best and worst of humanity.

To me, that's just a sugar coated turd.

TBH, the seniors are just as much as at risk to others as anyone else. If one of those seniors gets sick and comes to the store they'll literally gonna drop a nuke in the store. This is why I don't see the point from this -- ban the elderly from the stores and public places and get people together to get the things they need for them.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
this is the best summary of the virus I have read but be warned it is a LONG read but you don't have to read all of it, the beginning is very good. As a religious person, this crisis presents the number one opportunity to put our money where our mouth is so to speak, we who are locked down, not working, have tonnes of time on our hands to be of assistance to our relatives and friends, and if and when we get the virus, after we recover we have a moral obligation to go out into the world and help people who cannot go out, I have spent ages on the phone helping people that need to quarantine like my dad, and uncle and high risk friends with compromised immune systems, I have given advice on how to get groceries and supplies delivered rather than taking risky trips to the market, and info on how long the virus may stay alive on groceries and supplies (7 days for plastic, 2 days for paper and cardboard) etc etc. We all need to do something to help not just ourselves, but those we love and care about, and if your heart is big enough, helping complete strangers. We need to show especial respect for doctors, nurses and other medical workers and for any of those that have to risk contracting the virus to provide essential services, like supermarket workers, mailmen, delivery drivers etc etc Thank you for what you are doing, God loves you for it!!

Thanks for the link to the article. I was going to read it, but I hesitated because I do not like knowing the future.

That is aside from the fact that nobody except God knows the future.

It was my good Buddhist friend who taught me to live fully in the present. My life is difficult even in the best of times so I live one day at a time, sometimes one minute or one hour at a time. Living in the future only causes anxiety. The future is not here yet and anything can happen between now and then.

pearl

TBH, the seniors are just as much as at risk to others as anyone else. If one of those seniors gets sick and comes to the store they'll literally gonna drop a nuke in the store. This is why I don't see the point from this -- ban the elderly from the stores and public places and get people together to get the things they need for them.

If they're the only ones shopping at that time they'/re not passing anything to anybody.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I should point out that due to a number of serious factors, I am actually at a higher risk for this virus than my 82 year old father, so both me and my father are quarantined and having supplies brought to us, and in no possible position to risk our lives delivering food or supplies to other needy people, fortunately by brother has stepped up to the plate, he is low risk and he is doing our shopping for us, If he is incapacitated there are supermarket delivery services available to us, we bought a modest amount of toilet paper 3 weeks ago when we saw this thing coming, we bought supplies we would need to last a month or so, we can't get everything we are used to purchasing, but we're not complaining, we are financially stable so we don't need to apply for additional government assistance even though I have had to completely shut down my small violin shop. So while I am at home all the time I have dozens of friends and family members to talk to on telephone and facebook messenger, I don't use that opportunity to gossip, but use much of my time to try to encourage and educate my friends about the virus, my sister is a medical doctor and works from home, so I have almost immediate access to expert medical advice throughout the day, when someone brings up some crazy supposed cure like breathing hot air from a blow drier to cure the virus, I call up my sister and ask for her expert opinion, and report back to my friend or relative that's asking about it, I'm not sitting on my axx doing next to nothing, I'm actually spending a good part of my day trying to help, educate, and console troubled friends etc, This is what my religion teaches me to do, not preach about Jesus dying on some cross, or arguing about the "Holy" Trinity, but doing real actions that do not have negative effects but rather positive effects, and yes some people are just lonely being locked in and need someone to talk to, end of rant.........

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
To me, that's just a sugar coated turd.

I don't think there is the logistics in place to do this, or the people. I have been using online shopping for a number of years. Now I cannot get anything delivered from my usual supermarket because of all the delivery slots being prioritised for the more vulnerable, even though, being over 70 I apparently am at more risk as are all others in this category - older but with no particular health issues. At the supermarket we have an hour set aside for us, keeping 2m apart as much as possible, but like many I'm sure, I would be staying completely at home if I could get everything delivered. And, because of some empty shelves, I have to scoot about to any other shops open to see if I can find stuff there. I will have to rely on my freezer, which I haven't been using for some time, and just try to get as much frozen stuff as I can wherever I can find it. And I will be using my bike rather than walking to the shops (which was the only exercise I was getting) so as to get the frozen stuff back a bit quicker - buses being cut rather a bit too. There are queues at all the supermarkets apparently.