• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Benefits of Swearing

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Pain relief.
Non-violent Outlet
Harmless & Humorous Coping Mechanism
Assertion of Power/Control
Social Bonding
Psychological & Physical Health
Outlet for Self-Expression & Creativity

A little swearing now and then (to yourself, or with friends) is not too terrible, and in fact may be even be good for your health by making you feel better, at least in the moment. The trick is to make sure it isn’t excessive, and that your swearing is not coupled up with anger, or another extreme negative emotion, as that can be very detrimental to your overall well being, and to others near you, possibly negating all of the potential health benefits described above.
The Surprising Health Benefits of Swearing

To help understand the purpose of swearing in human interactions, Byrne took a look at what happened when a family of chimpanzees were taught sign language by human researchers. Chimps are humans' nearest living relative, and in the wild they often throw their own feces as a way to express anger or territoriality.
For obvious reasons, the very first task for researchers working with new chimp subjects is to train them out of this behavior. So it's fascinating to note that research chimps who've been taught not to throw poop at others naturally begin making the sign for poop instead when they're ticked off--using profanity exactly the same way we do.

Swearing Is Surprisingly Good for Your Brain, According to Science

Do you swear?
Do you look down on people who do?

Do I swear? Yeah under my breath. Though I do try to alter it like I say "Fudge it!" or "Gosh darn it!"
:D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Pain relief.
Non-violent Outlet
Social Bonding

A little swearing now and then (to yourself, or with friends) is not too terrible, and in fact may be even be good for your health by making you feel better, at least in the moment. The trick is to make sure it isn’t excessive, and that your swearing is not coupled up with anger, or another extreme negative emotion, as that can be very detrimental to your overall well being, and to others near you, possibly negating all of the potential health benefits described above.

To help understand the purpose of swearing in human interactions, Byrne took a look at what happened when a family of chimpanzees were taught sign language by human researchers. Chimps are humans' nearest living relative, and in the wild they often throw their own feces as a way to express anger or territoriality.
For obvious reasons, the very first task for researchers working with new chimp subjects is to train them out of this behavior. So it's fascinating to note that research chimps who've been taught not to throw poop at others naturally begin making the sign for poop instead when they're ticked off--using profanity exactly the same way we do.

Do you swear?

Do I swear? Yeah under my breath. Though I do try to alter it like I say "Fudge it!" or "Gosh darn it!"

Yes i swear on occasion, even quite crudely sometimes. Usually quitely but there are times that you have to let go.

Being a country bred Lancashire lass it's expected.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We used to have bleeping for swearing on TV...or on the radio.
Since they were afraid of losing audience, they removed the bleeping:p

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Closest I've sworn is saying shoot for it's alternative and gosh darn it. One day I'll say god dm it but christian culture tend to make using god as a curse word highly looked down on in general. I know it's silly but I always chuckle when I tell people I'm getting my BS degree in communications. I'm not a curser.

A Vestigial Mote

I am among those (seemingly) uncommon few who mostly swear only to themselves - as the article states might actually be among the "healthier" activities. I never swear in anger. Never. And when I witness people doing so, I immediately think less of them, and their position. If you resort to swearing without making any dialogue-progressing points, then it very, VERY likely means you understand your position to be untenable, if not outright in the wrong.

I swear at stupid things... like when a level on some dumb mobile game doesn't go my way. And the only time I swear in front of others is for comedic effect or to emphasize some purposefully bombastic agreement/disagreement with opinion (among friends) before launching into actual points to be made. I also never say the "f" word in front of anyone. Just something I never felt comfortable doing. Almost like I can't grasp when the word is applicable. I'm too much of a novice in its use, and honestly couldn't care much less about that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Pain relief.
Non-violent Outlet
Social Bonding

Do you swear?

Construction would be impossible without it.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Pain relief.
Non-violent Outlet
Social Bonding

Do you swear?

That this mean chucking faeces about might make me feel better, then? ;)

pearl

I can understand swearing in some circumstances, construction, locker room, video games. Neither I nor my children were raised in an atmosphere of swearing. Our oldest daughter and son (now 17) moved back home a few years ago and are living with us. The language they use with each other is to me listening to the sound of fingernails across a blackboard.

We used to have bleeping for swearing on TV...or on the radio.
Since they were afraid of losing audience, they removed the bleeping

I think swearing is still bleeped on major networks, but certainly not cable. I don't find a comedian any more funny with the freedom to swear.