• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The beauty of the language that is Sanskrit.

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Jaya Nitaai!

So, I've been putting off writing this post for quite some time now, but I thought I might as well get on with it. Throughout the course of my study of Hindu scripture as well as the works of the spiritual teachers of my school, I am constantly amazed at the brilliance, beauty and poetry of the language that is Sanskrit. I personally feel that there is no language quite like Sanskrit (except maybe for Bengali :D) especially in its conciseness, color and overall structure. Unlike English which is packed with exception to the rules, Sanskrit is almost perfect in the sense that once you understand the grammar there are generally no exceptions. I am sure any Hindu can attest there is something magical in listening to Sanskrit chanting. Even if you don't understand what is being said, there is a sense of mysticism and beauty due to the meter, intonation and placement of the syllables. To understand what I am talking about, simply listen to the video below which is the chanting of the ancient Narayana Suktam from the Yajur Veda in classical meter. (translation is in the video, for those who want to understand).

And , Sri Suktam from Rg Vedam (for the Shaktas):

(I'd like to apologize to the Shaivas, I don't know of many Vedic Mantra glorification of Lord Shiva. I was going to post Shiva Tandava Stotram, but you know that was composed by Ravan so... If you guys have any, please feel free to post).

As a Vaishnav, the Sanskrit language is very important to us. It is the language of the spiritual world. All the languages of this world are actually material, but Sanskrit is one of the languages that is eternally spoken by the Lord and His associates in Vaikuntha. The way they speak Sanskrit is also very beautiful. When Lord Krsna converses with the Gopis and His friends they speak in the most sweetest way and their Sanskrit is extremely poetic often composed with double meanings and subtle symbolism. The Gopi Geet, which is found in Bhagavatam and is spoken by the Gopis in separation from God is in Sanskrit and each of these verses have a double meaning (one meaning glorifies Krsna, the other criticizes Him).

Furthermore composition in Sanskrit is not easy. Because Sanskrit is a syllabic language, when composing you need to follow specific meter in which the verse is situated. The meter determines how many syllables the verse is composed of and the order of short and long syllables that come in the verse. For example, most of the verses in the Gita are in the meter of “Anushtup" in which there are 32 syllables in each verse, with 8 verses in each line. The Mahamantra (Hare Krsna Hare Krsna...) is also in that meter.

Confirm for yourself in the following famous verse from the Gita (18-66):

sar-va-dhar-man-pa-ri-tya-jya
mam-e-kam-sa-ra-nam-vra-ja
a-ham-tvam-sar-va-pa-pe-bhyo
mok-sa-yis-ya-mi-ma-su-cah

That is why Sanskrit scriptures are amazing. Rather then being simply words telling a narrative most Hindu scriptures are composed in entire meters, making them huge works of poetry (Mahabharata for example, is the largest work of poetry in the world).In addition to the meter, Sanskrit poets also insert poetic devices called alankaaras (literally meaning ornaments), which act to increase the beauty of the verse.

In this respect, I would like to recall a beautiful pastime of Lord Chaitanya. Before taking Sannayasa, Lord Chaitanya lived in Navadwip and was known as Nimai Pandit. He was a scholar of nyaya (Hindu school of logic) and many scholars would come to debate with Him. One day a great scholar known as digvijayi came to Navadwip to challenge Lord Nimai in debate. So he approached Lord Nimai who was teaching His pupils on the banks of the Ganges (a Holy River)

CPIC020 (1).jpg

The Digvijayi claimed that Saraswati (goddess of learning) herself resided on his tongue and since Nimai Pandit taught on the banks of the Ganges, the Digvijayi spontaneously composed in one hour, 100 verses on the glories of Mother Gangas. Nimai Pandit then recalled one verse of the Digvijayi and pointed out 5 kinds of grammatical faults within the verse and 5 kind of ornaments. If we study this verse, we can understand the structural integrity of the Sanskrit language and how difficult it is to actually compose a fault-free verse. The verse composed by Digvijayi is below:

mahattvam gangayah satatam idam abhati nitaram
yad esha shri-vishnosh carana-kamalotpatti-subhaga
dvitiya-shri-lakshmir iva sura-narair arcya-carana
bhavani-bhartur ya shirasi vibhavaty adbhuta-guna

“The greatness of mother Ganges always brilliantly exists. She is the most fortunate because she emanated from the lotus feet of Shri Vishnu. She is the second goddess of fortune, and therefore her feet is always worshiped both by demigods and by humanity. Endowed with all wonderful qualities, she flourishes on the head of Lord Shiva.”

The 5 kinds of faults and 5 ornaments pointed out by Lord Nimai are below:

Five structural faults

1) avimṛṣṭa-vidheyāṁśa fault. Vimṛṣṭa means “clean,” and vidheyāṁśa means “predicate.” It is a general rule of composition to establish a subject first and then give its predicate. For example, according to Sanskrit grammar if one says, “This man is learned,” his composition is in order. But if one says, “Learned is this man,” the composition is not in order. Such a flaw is called avimṛṣṭa-vidheyāṁśa-doṣa, or the fault of unclean composition. The subject matter to be known of the verse is the glorification of the Ganges, and therefore the word idam (“this”), or what is known, should have been placed before instead of after the glorification. The subject matter already known should be placed before the unknown so that its meaning will not be misconstrued. In this verse, the subject is idam ("this, the Ganga"), while the predicate is the glorification of the Ganga (mahattvam gangayah, "the greatness of Ganga"). Hence the avimṛṣṭa-vidheyāṁśa occurs here.

2) avimṛṣṭa-vidheyāṁśa fault number 2 occurs in the words dvitīya-śrī-lakṣmīr iva (the second Goddess of Lakshmi is she). In this composition the word dvitīya (“second”) is vidheya, or unknown. Placing the unknown first to make the compound word dvitīya-śrī-lakṣmīr is another fault. The words dvitīya-śrī-lakṣmīr iva were intended to compare the Ganges to the goddess of fortune, but because of this fault the meaning of the compound word was bewildering.

3) The third fault is that of viruddha-mati, or contradictory conception, in the words bhavānī-bhartuḥ (meaning husband of bhavani i.e Lord Shiva). The wordbhavānī refers to the wife of Bhava, Lord Śiva. But since Bhavānī is already known as the wife of Lord Śiva, to add the word bhartā, “husband,” thus forming a compound meaning “the husband of the wife of Lord Śiva,” is contradictory, for thus it appears as if the wife of Lord Śiva had another husband.

4) The fourth fault is punar-ukti, or redundancy, which occurs when the verb vibhavati (“flourishes”), which should have ended the composition, is further qualified by the unnecessary adjective adbhuta-guṇā (“endowed with wonderful qualities”).

5) The fifth fault is bhagna-krama, which means “broken order.” In the first, third and fourth lines there is anuprāsa, or alliteration, created by the sounds ta, ra and bha, but in the second line there is no suchanuprāsa, and therefore the order is broken.

5 types of ornaments (2 ornaments of sound and 3 of meaning)

1) alliteration 1: In the arrangement of the first line the syllable ‘ta’ occurs five times, and the arrangement of the third line repeats the syllable ‘ra’ five times.

2) alliteration 2: In the fourth line the syllable ‘bha’ occurs four times. This arrangement of alliteration is a pleasing ornamental use of sounds.

3) ornament of meaning (nearly redundant): Although the words ‘śrī’ and ‘lakṣmī’ in the third line convey the same meaning and are therefore almost redundant, they are nevertheless not redundant. This is because while Sri is Laksmi, Sri Laksmi serves to increase the opulence of Lakshmi even more.

4) ornament of meaning 2 (simile): The use of the words ‘lakṣmīr iva’ [‘like Lakṣmī’] manifests the ornament of meaning called upamā [analogy]. There is also the further ornament of meaning called virodhābhāsa, or a contradictory indication.

5) ornament of meaning 3 (nearly contradiction): The verse says that the Gangas appears from the lotus like feet of Lord Vishnu. Everyone knows that lotus flowers grow in the water of the Ganges. But to say that the Ganges takes birth from a lotus flower (Vishnu's feet) seems extremely contradictory. The existence of mother Ganges begins from the lotus feet of the Lord. Although this statement that water comes from a lotus flower is a contradiction, in connection with Lord Viṣṇu it is a great wonder. In this birth of the Ganges by the inconceivable potency of the Lord, there is no contradiction although it appears contradictory. ‘Everyone knows that lotus flowers grow in the water but water never grows from a lotus. All such contradictions, however, are wonderfully possible in Kṛṣṇa: the great river Ganges has grown from His lotus feet.’ The real glory of mother Ganges is that she has grown from the lotus feet of Lord Viṣṇu. Such a hypothesis is another ornament, called anumāna.

In this way, Lord Nimai defeated Digvijayi Pandit. This is because the Digvijayi had become extremely proud of his learning and in order to teach him humility, the Lord defeated him in the form of a child. Saraswati mother also appeared in the Digvijayi's dreams and explain to him why he was defeated. However, what this pastime is meant to illustrate is the poetic thought that is given when we composed the verse. One who understands this can understand how beautiful these verses are.

Anyway, I always speaks too much so I shall end this specific post here. I have created this thread to go though some of the amazing and unbelievable verses which features these alankaaras and some of the verses in scripture and also written by Sanskrit scholars like the Goswamis and certain South Indian poets, in order to show some of the amazing features of these verses. In the next post I will discuss Rupa Goswami's citra kavitvani in which he creates entire pictures using verses and its syllables (I know it sounds strange but bear with me. There are some amazing findings I've encountered in my studies, and this post is simply serving as an introduction). If any sanskrit scholars or enthusiasts are here, please feel free to share other amazing verses and explain them, or just merely give your own experiences with sanskrit. Jaya Nitaai!

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What is wrong with Ravana? He is Vaikuntha's gate-keeper (Lord Vishnu's heaven). Even after the Gods permit, you will still need Ravana's permission to enter Vaikuntha. You will find him there in his celestial Vishnu-Rupa, i.e., he looks no different from Lord Vishnu. Yes, Sanskrit is divine, very mellifluous, an excellent grammar (thanks to the great Panini), and true to sound. No put and but in Sanskrit. It is WSYWIG.

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Citra Kavitvani (a picture of verses)
by Srila Rupa Goswamipada.

In this particular post, I would like to discuss the poetry of Srila Rupa Goswami and more specifically these verses in His book, Citra Kavitvani. As many of you may know, Srila Rupa Goswami was a direct disciple of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and a wonderful poet, scholar and devotee of the Lord. In this book, Citra Kavitvani, Rupa Goswami has written mindblowing sanskrit verses using amazing ornaments. There are certain verses which he composed usually 2 or sometimes even 1 syllable. Other verses when its syllables are arranged in a specific way reveal a picture (relating to the verse). What is amazing is that this arrangements have alot of shared syllables but despite these the verses are coherent and in the perfect meter. It is actually so difficult to envision that someone is able to composed such verses, as you shall see.

Ornament 1: verses composed with 2 or 1 consonants

So in the first part of His book, Srila Rupa Goswami composes verses out of simply one or two consonants. In the sanskrit alphabet, their are a range of consonants (r, g, h, etc) and each of these consonants can be paired with 10 vowels. To for example if we have the consonant k, there syllables that can be formed this consonant are:

ka kā ki kī ku kū kṛ ke kai ko kau

So in the first verse, Rupa Goswami takes the consonants dh and ra (because they form the name of Radha, the consort of Krsna) and creates the following:

upload_2016-12-1_0-38-15.png

It is quite amazing actually. What is illustrated here is the way sanskrit words can logically build on each other to form meanings. For example, dharā means earth and dhara means to hold. So dharā-dhara means that which supports and holds the earth. That is of-course the mountain (govardhan). dhāra means rain, and so dhāra-dhara means that which supports the rain, i.e clouds! When Lord Krsna help up Govardhan (the hill) it was raining from the clouds and Radharani was worshiped the Lord under that hill.

In the next verse, Rupa Goswami goes even further and only uses one syllable (n) to compose it:

upload_2016-12-1_0-44-49.png

I think this is amazing! It cannot be done in languages such as english. The same principle is used here. ānana means face, and nānā means many, so nā-ānana means one who has many faces, i.e Lord Brahma (who has 4 faces). Also Rupa Goswami has used the consonant n very specifically here. This is because whenever we see the word nanu in sanskrit it means that their is an argument that is going on and the nanu is the refutation is the accusation. The accusation here is that "Why are you worshiping this child Krsna, who is so young and human like?'. To this Rupa Goswami uses the refutation syllable n to respond "Oh accuser, did not Lord Brahma himself bowed down and offered prayers to Lord Krsna?".

Ornament 2: pictures with verses

Now in the second part, Rupa Goswami starts composing verses that when arranged and read in its correct order, tell us a picture. Instead of explaining too much, it is better to show you. The verse in question is below:

upload_2016-12-1_0-56-53.png

Which means:

"In a secluded forest which attracts swarms of maddened bees with its fragrance, which contains many decorated paths, and which gives pleasure with its cool breezes, I always glorify a certain Lord in order to attain spiritual bliss. That rasa [nectar]-laden Lord, the maintainer of his devotees, is flooded with the splendor of many necklaces. His arms are like snakes, He immediately increases the agitation within the heart, and He tinges the luster of the Yamunä’s waves with the luster of His nails, lips, yellow cloth, necklaces, bracelets, and crown."

Now in order to read it, in its formation, we need to separate the syllables and arrange them in the following order (as illustrated by the wheel picture below):

upload_2016-12-1_1-0-42.png

So when arranged in the top wheel formation, the verse is read in the order as shown by the bottom left image. What is amazing here is that this type of reading requires syllables (the ni middle must be used in very 10 syllables, the syllables at the end of each line must be used twice and the wheel must form and the verse must be coherent and the verse must be in meter.).

And I will tell you another amazing discovery. If you look at the bottom right image, and read the syllables in a circular order, you get the line

krsna stutir rasau
rupa viracita

Which means "This is the nectarean prayer to Krsna was composed by Rupa".

So in addition to the above requirements, Rupa Goswami also gives His signature! It only becomes visible when the verse is drawn in the wheel. Just amazing! When Mastya Avatar das Prabhu (who discovered this) saw it, he nearly fell off his chair!

The next formation is even more ridiculous (because the amount of sharing that is used).

upload_2016-12-1_1-12-7.png

This verse is read in the below snake formation:

upload_2016-12-1_1-12-53.png

(it is read blue, then pink, then green, then orange). What is amazing is that each corner syllables must be used twice, and when the tail of the snake cross then the syllables must be shared (the circled syllables). To conceive of such sharing is nearly impossible. Plus, what is also amazing, is that the verse is in the meter of called Sragdhara which literally means one who holds a garland. And alas the meaning of the verse is about Krsna wearing a beautiful garland of lotuses.

Rupa Goswami then writes other verses which greater levels of sharing (there is one verse, in drum formation, where every second syllable is shared).

Ornament 2: palindromic verses

N
ow Rupa Goswami gets even more extreme and He starts composing verses that read the same in all directions. The stunning verse in question is below:

upload_2016-12-1_1-24-42.png

Now this verse is a magic box of all sorts. When put in a 8x8 chess board formation (the verse is 32 syllables so we need to write it twice to get the 64=8x8 formation), this verse can be read in about 14 ways. This is because, the verse is a giant palindrome, both horizontally but also vertically. The diagrams bellow illustrate this:
upload_2016-12-1_1-28-51.png

Truly amazing! The meaning of the verse is below:

"That handsome deity, the initiator of the räsa dance, who gains strength from the coquettish gestures of women, sported wonderfully. Filled with amorous desire, and taking pleasure in His own strength, He wouldn’t tolerate being subdued by anyone else because He was intoxicated with the pride of youth and his smiles and laughter defeated Cupid."

Rupa Goswami then goes on to write some other verses in such a fashion.

When I first read this Citra-Kavitvani, I was absolutely amazed at how such compositions were humanely possible. It only increased by faith in Srila Rupa Goswami even more. These prayers are not simply written to be smart, but rather they are Rupa Goswamis own personal prayers to Lord Krsna. In Vrnadavan everyone is quite cheekly like that. These translations were not done by me, but by a greater Gaudiya Vaishnav scholar known as Mastya Avatar das Prabhu. Below you can see his video where he explains ALL the verses of Rupa Goswamis citrakavitvani (while I've only discussed a few).

Let me know what you think. In the next post, I want to focus on the poetry of the South Indian Vaishnavs and want to show how some of the greatest mathematical problems (such as Eulers problem) were solved via the means of poetry. I still have a lot to show, so get excited....hahaa

Jaya Nitaai!

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for this thread Nitai-Das ji! Sanskrit is a very wonderful language, Lord Krsna is already so sweet, to hear him talk in melodious sanskrit would make anyone overflow with prem :)