• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The beast is Hosea's God?

calm

The God of Hosea describes himself in the book Hosea as a leopard, as a bear and as a lion. Interestingly, the Book of Revelation describes the beast from the sea in exactly the same way. What do you say? Just coincidence?

Hosea 13:7 KJV
as a leopard by the way will I observe them: I will meet them as a bear that is bereaved of her whelps, and will rend the caul of their heart, and there will I devour them like a lion: the wild beast shall tear them.

Revelation 13:2 KJV
And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The God of Hosea describes himself in the book Hosea as a leopard, as a bear and as a lion. Interestingly, the Book of Revelation describes the beast from the sea in exactly the same way. What do you say? Just coincidence?
How many years between the writing of Hosea and Revelations?

Did the author have access and motive to read the book of Hosea prior to writing Revelations?

My guess is, that the author knew the Book of Hosea and intentionally used elements of it in Revelations.

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

How many years between the writing of Hosea and Revelations?

Did the author have access and motive to read the book of Hosea prior to writing Revelations?

Mu guess is, that the author knew the Book of Hosea and intentionally used elements of it in Revelations.

The beast is not Hosea's God

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

as a leopard by the way will I observe them: I will meet them as a bear that is bereaved of her whelps, and will rend the caul of their heart, and there will I devour them like a lion: the wild beast shall tear them.

It helps of course to post the verse in context......

"But I am Jehovah your God from the land of Egypt;
You knew no God except me,
And besides me there is no savior.

5 I knew you in the wilderness, in the land of drought.

6 They were satisfied with their pastures,
They were satisfied and their heart became proud.

And so they forgot me.

7 I will become like a young lion to them,
Like a leopard lurking along the path.

8 I will come upon them like a bear that has lost its cubs,
And I will rip open their chest.

I will devour them there like a lion;
A wild beast of the field will tear them to pieces.

9 It will destroy you, O Israel,
Because you turned against me, against your helper."

Animals were used in the scriptures as a symbol of their power.
God was going to pounce on his wayward nation like a lion or a leopard...or a she bear that has lost her cubs.
Do you not see the symbolism when you read the context?

And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

Again in context...
Revelation 13: 1-8....
"And I saw a wild beast ascending out of the sea, with ten horns and seven heads, and on its horns ten diadems, but on its heads blasphemous names. 2 Now the wild beast that I saw was like a leopard, but its feet were like those of a bear, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. And the dragon gave to the beast its power and its throne and great authority.

3 I saw that one of its heads seemed to have been fatally wounded, but its mortal wound had been healed, and all the earth followed the wild beast with admiration. 4 And they worshipped the dragon because it gave the authority to the wild beast, and they worshipped the wild beast with the words: “Who is like the wild beast, and who can do battle with it?” 5 It was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and it was given authority to act for 42 months. 6 And it opened its mouth in blasphemies against God to blaspheme his name and his dwelling place, even those residing in heaven. 7 It was permitted to wage war with the holy ones and conquer them, and it was given authority over every tribe and people and tongue and nation. 8 And all those who dwell on the earth will worship it. From the founding of the world, not one of their names has been written in the scroll of life of the Lamb who was slaughtered."

So, what is this freakish beast? The Bible itself gives the answer. Before the fall of Babylon in 539 B.C.E., the prophet Daniel saw visions also involving ferocious beasts.

Daniel 7:2-8 describes four beasts coming out of the sea, the first resembling a lion, the second a bear, the third a leopard, and “see there! a fourth beast, fearsome and terrible and unusually strong . . . and it had ten horns.” So yes, this is remarkably similar to the wild beast seen by John in his Revelation, about the year 96 C.E. and the same animals described by the prophet Hosea.

That beast also has the characteristics of a lion, a bear, and a leopard, and it has ten horns. What is the identity of the huge beasts seen by Daniel? He informs us: “These huge beasts . . . are four kings that will stand up from the earth.” (Daniel 7:17) So, those beasts represent “kings,” or political powers of the earth.....therefore the beast is not Hosea's God.

whirlingmerc

It helps of course to post the verse in context......

"But I am Jehovah your God from the land of Egypt;
You knew no God except me,
And besides me there is no savior.

5 I knew you in the wilderness, in the land of drought.

6 They were satisfied with their pastures,
They were satisfied and their heart became proud.

And so they forgot me.

7 I will become like a young lion to them,
Like a leopard lurking along the path.

8 I will come upon them like a bear that has lost its cubs,
And I will rip open their chest.

I will devour them there like a lion;
A wild beast of the field will tear them to pieces.

9 It will destroy you, O Israel,
Because you turned against me, against your helper."

Animals were used in the scriptures as a symbol of their power.
God was going to pounce on his wayward nation like a lion or a leopard...or a she bear that has lost her cubs.
Do you not see the symbolism when you read the context?

Again in context...
Revelation 13: 1-8....
"And I saw a wild beast ascending out of the sea, with ten horns and seven heads, and on its horns ten diadems, but on its heads blasphemous names. 2 Now the wild beast that I saw was like a leopard, but its feet were like those of a bear, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. And the dragon gave to the beast its power and its throne and great authority.

3 I saw that one of its heads seemed to have been fatally wounded, but its mortal wound had been healed, and all the earth followed the wild beast with admiration. 4 And they worshipped the dragon because it gave the authority to the wild beast, and they worshipped the wild beast with the words: “Who is like the wild beast, and who can do battle with it?” 5 It was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and it was given authority to act for 42 months. 6 And it opened its mouth in blasphemies against God to blaspheme his name and his dwelling place, even those residing in heaven. 7 It was permitted to wage war with the holy ones and conquer them, and it was given authority over every tribe and people and tongue and nation. 8 And all those who dwell on the earth will worship it. From the founding of the world, not one of their names has been written in the scroll of life of the Lamb who was slaughtered."

So, what is this freakish beast? The Bible itself gives the answer. Before the fall of Babylon in 539 B.C.E., the prophet Daniel saw visions also involving ferocious beasts.

Daniel 7:2-8 describes four beasts coming out of the sea, the first resembling a lion, the second a bear, the third a leopard, and “see there! a fourth beast, fearsome and terrible and unusually strong . . . and it had ten horns.” So yes, this is remarkably similar to the wild beast seen by John in his Revelation, about the year 96 C.E. and the same animals described by the prophet Hosea.

That beast also has the characteristics of a lion, a bear, and a leopard, and it has ten horns. What is the identity of the huge beasts seen by Daniel? He informs us: “These huge beasts . . . are four kings that will stand up from the earth.” (Daniel 7:17) So, those beasts represent “kings,” or political powers of the earth.....therefore the beast is not Hosea's God.

The animal imagery in Hosea is a poetic device in Hosea.

But God is even sovereign over beastly kingdoms as in Revelation

The Son of man, the Messiah, will set things in order when He comes

danieldemol

Premium Member

I’m inclined to think the writer/s of revelation were unaware of the accidental parallel they were making to Hosea.

LightofTruth

No kings or nations could have any power whatsoever unless it was given to them from above.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Not at all a coincidence. The "sea" in the Book of Revelation describes a common way of determine the very look of the Milky Way clouds, which in several cultures ar described as and compared with a geographical river, hence the "sea/water" context.
The Milky Way contours were also given all kinds of animal and human-like names. and of course if so, then the only co-incidence is the Milky Way itself which symbolism can be cultural compared.
A couple links:
Milky Way (mythology) - Wikipedia
The white Milky Way Contours
Man and Animal. Monsters and fabulous Creatures