• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Battle Between The Christian Religion and Science

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If the Bible is correct...and I believe it is, then there is a master deceiver in the world out to shoot down belief in God so that he can siphon off worship for himself. Unfortunately, science is just an alternate religion for some. It seems to make its adherents feel superior to us feeble minded peasants, who appear to be wrapped up in silly superstition.
eghfal.gif
Time will tell I guess.

Hmm...weird. I'm not sure what you mean by 'adherants' but the majority of scientists I've met are pretty humble in general, and completely boring when discussing their own area of interest. But they're useful. The computer I'm typing this on suggests as much. So maybe I'm an 'adherant'?

Sonofason

Em. How can science be a religion? Taking out people, what is wrong with science? (Reminds me of god punishing the snake rather than Satan). I think if god is more worried about science, he is trying to take the legs off the wrong animal.

I side tracked: What's wrong with science?

If I had a working definition of science than I can judge whether what you make sense, does, well make sense. As for now, it sounds like you are saying science (the study of god's creation?) is useless and a sin somehow.
religion is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."
Notice this definition does not necessarily require a God or gods to have religion. It only needs to be a superhuman controlling power that is worshiped and believed in. Today, science is like a deity to many people. First and foremost, science is knowledge. Science is knowledge about the natural world. It is supposed to be based on facts. Facts are supposed to always be true information. Science includes the study of the natural world based on facts learned through experiments and observation. When we think of facts, we think of something that is true. Thus, science is considered true. And so now science begins to take on attributes that can be praised and honored. We love truth. We adore truth. Facts are great. Yes, we can even begin to worship science because in it's purest form, it must always be true, because that is what facts are...they are true. Thus if it is in the name of science, it must always be true. It is perfect. It is glorious. It can never be wrong. It is always right. It governs the universe, it governs our lives. Indeed, it is the ruler of the universe. Science is God. And don't you dare blaspheme Science. Don't you dare blaspheme a study or an experiment done in the name of science. Because we are the ones who discover this science. We are the ones who rule the earth, we shall rule the universe and everything in it, because we have science on our side. Science is our God, and we have become like God.

Wait, this is getting out of hand. People are flawed. People make mistakes. People lie. Scientists make mistakes. Scientists can lie, and sometimes they do lie. Science is no God, and I will not be ruled by science. No, science is not God, Science is just knowledge, and it can be flawed knowledge. The true God has no flaws. The true God is never wrong. The true God is not science, but is the one who created all things. He created the Gravity we study in the name of science. He created the laws that Govern it. Science stands on the sidelines and tries to catch up.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
R.e. JW doctrine most Christians aren't really Christians. Also, only 144,000 people will ultimately gain everlasting life - the 100 billion others will die permanently after their resurrection.
It always makes me smile when those who think they know what we believe post stuff that isn't even close to the truth.

That is so way off, its laughable....but typical of the armchair expert. Do you even care that you are spreading lies? o_O

Most people who call themselves Christians, by definition cannot be if they are conducting themselves contrary to the teachings of the Master.
Would you like a comprehensive list of the ways that the majority of "Christians" ignore Jesus teachings? I can provide one, along with Jesus own admission that "few" are actually on the road to life for that very reason. (Matthew 7:13-14; 21-23)
Did the majority in Israel accept Jesus as Messiah? Why didn't they?

"Only 144,000 will gain everlasting life"? You think that there are only 144,000 who have ever lived and died who will benefit from Christ's ransom? There are many millions who will be granted everlasting life, including the millions now dead. (John 5:28-29) Jesus is the one who grants life to the "sheep" and passes the sentence of everlasting death on the "goats". He is the one we need to impress...not each other.

" the 100 billion others will die permanently after their resurrection"? Now I am really laughing. :confused:

Where did you get this stuff? From our opposers no doubt. Why do you imagine that the majority of the Jews rejected Jesus? For the very same reason that you posted what you did. Running with popular opinion and believing everything you are told.

How many of Jesus' disciples did that? Thank God they had to courage to be different and go against popular opinion. (John 15:18-21)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
religion is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."
Notice this definition does not necessarily require a God or gods to have religion. It only needs to be a superhuman controlling power that is worshiped and believed in. Today, science is like a deity to many people. First and foremost, science is knowledge. Science is knowledge about the natural world. It is supposed to be based on facts. Facts are supposed to always be true information. Science includes the study of the natural world based on facts learned through experiments and observation. When we think of facts, we think of something that is true. Thus, science is considered true. And so now science begins to take on attributes that can be praised and honored. We love truth. We adore truth. Facts are great. Yes, we can even begin to worship science because in it's purest form, it must always be true, because that is what facts are...they are true. Thus if it is in the name of science, it must always be true. It is perfect. It is glorious. It can never be wrong. It is always right. It governs the universe, it governs our lives. Indeed, it is the ruler of the universe. Science is God. And don't you dare blaspheme Science. Don't you dare blaspheme a study or an experiment done in the name of science. Because we are the ones who discover this science. We are the ones who rule the earth, we shall rule the universe and everything in it, because we have science on our side. Science is our God, and we have become like God.

Wait, this is getting out of hand. People are flawed. People make mistakes. People lie. Scientists make mistakes. Scientists can lie, and sometimes they do lie. Science is no God, and I will not be ruled by science. No, science is not God, Science is just knowledge, and it can be flawed knowledge. The true God has no flaws. The true God is never wrong. The true God is not science, but is the one who created all things. He created the Gravity we study in the name of science. He created the laws that Govern it. Science stands on the sidelines and tries to catch up.

This sounds like personal opinion and belief. If science is study of the natural world and what is true and fact, then I don't see the difference between that and a flawless god.

Science says one and one is two. Humans created the words and we discovered correctly how we came to that conclusion.

Outside of us, the science of mathematics is still correct. We're not the center of the universe. If you take two separate things and put it together, it will always double. So, how can this science be flawed compared to a flawless god?

How can the laws of nature be flawed and god be flawless?

That, and given you believe god is flawless, then he would be in the realm of science. If science is about facts and god is a fact, how is he different than the laws of nature.

We don't worship science. (Unless you're a scientist and know the scientific community?) Most people I know here are religious and 90 percent are Christian in my immediate and local environment. We have Christian scientists. I don't understand the opposition between the two. One is studying creation and the other is the creator. Take out human beings, how is science flawed?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Christianity is the worlds largest religion with over 2.2 billion adherents so I find the idea that it is threatened a bit perplexing. May I ask if you have a specific threat to Christianity in mind?

Well, as I see it, science has undertaken the task of making a Creator God redundant. School children raised without a concept of God will never see a necessary to believe. Parents have also been raised in that godless environment, so a purely secular outlook today has become commonplace. The upshot of believing that we are nothing more than animals is that morality slides right out the door and along with it family values and commitment in relationships. I live in a very secular country where families are fragmented and it is nothing unusual for mothers to have a few different fathers of their children, none of whom were in a committed family relationship, nor really even wanted a lasting partnership.
Role models are important to children as they learn more about life from what they live, than from anything they are told.
Family get-togethers become a nightmare rather than a pleasure in many cases.

Or is this sort of an eternal struggle between the arguably corrupting material interests of the body and the immaterial nature of the soul? Would that only be reconciled when all the souls of mankind are in the kingdom of heavan?

As I have no belief in an immaterial soul, I don't see that as being the finale of it all. We are material beings placed on a material earth, for an enjoyable living experience of a world created for us. It is obvious to me that this world was created for us and we for the earth. Being its caretakers is our obligation, and yet without a similar obligation to its Creator, we have failed miserably as stewards.

The kingdom of heaven is the means by which God's original purpose for mankind will be achieved. Only a very few "chosen ones" will go to heaven to make up this governing arrangement (kingdom) in heaven. It will be a heavenly government with earthly subjects, living the life God intended for all of us in the first place. Heaven was never in the original plan.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Em. How can science be a religion? Taking out people, what is wrong with science?
There is nothing wrong with science itself. The Creator is the originator of science and everything that science studies. It is evolutionary science that is at issue. This is pseudo-science IMO. It takes what science knows to be true and stretches it to the most unbelievable limits. It isn't what science knows that is the problem...it is what it suggests beyond the boundaries of what it knows.

If I had a working definition of science than I can judge whether what you make sense, does, well make sense. As for now, it sounds like you are saying science (the study of god's creation?) is useless and a sin somehow.
No, science itself is marvelous! What is 'sinful' is to make science compete with God as to the reason for our existence.
If we simply evolved by a mindless undirected mechanism that has led us here.....what is the point of all this life? What is the purpose of the universe and our place in it? If this is all there is...."let us eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die".

On the other hand, if there is a purpose in our existence and for the universe itself, then we need to know about it. The Creator has provided a manual so that we can know what happened in the past, explain the situation we are experiencing at present, and understand how to fit in with his plans for the future.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You know that this is true LnM...maybe not in your direct circle....but everywhere else. Humans today have the morals of alley cats. :(

As opposed to the good old days, you mean?

My slightly jaded take on your point is that by tightly controlling definition of what a Christian is, you set up a self-fulfilling prophecy. Those you 'morally fail' are not 'true' Christians.

I could do the same with 'humanism' or some other umbrella term. Did you know that no humanist in the history of the planet has ever committed rape?

I've lived in a country that was 97% Christian and had outstandingly bad levels of violence, polygamy, rape, and STDs. They could have used a little increased atheism, in my view. Might have convinced them to wear a condom when they were whoring themselves around, to put it a little indelicately.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The beginning of God's creative activity= initiating evolution/the big bang.

I didn't say there is no God.

If there is a God who has provided the means by which we can know about his activities, then why do you disbelieve him? If he has the power to create the universe, then he has the power to direct and preserve his instruction manual.

I think a person can accept that the Bible has an otherworldly origin and still be an evolutionist. There's no contradiction there. You seem to be saying that The Bible and modern science contradict.

You are entitled to believe whatever you like. Theistic evolution is a compromise IMV...a sellout to preserve some credibility.
There is no conflict between science and creation.....but there is a conflict in implying that something took place when there is no solid evidence. See Just Accidental?

You know how you posted this because I said that God foreordains everything?... You posted that because you predisposed to respond that way. So, you can't escape it.

I am free willed individual and it is because of free will and its abuse that humanity is experiencing this learning curve.

Possibly. Or it could just mean that this is God's story and we're just along for the ride.
Just hapless passengers in life who are foreordained to live or die in an inevitable crash....what kind of a loving God would do that?

Although we are not in control, we are responsible. (Isaiah 45:7, Romans 8:28) There are two extremes, one is to say we are as powerful as God and the other is to say God is to blame. Both are incorrect.

Daniel 4:35 Romans 9:28-29

Cherry picking verses doesn't make it so. How can we be held "responsible" for what God has foreordained?
I could give you many other verses that prove you wrong.
If everything is foreordained, then what is the purpose of the preaching work commissioned by Jesus? (Matthew 10:11-14)
Is it just to say "I told you so"?

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
As opposed to the good old days, you mean?

My slightly jaded take on your point is that by tightly controlling definition of what a Christian is, you set up a self-fulfilling prophecy. Those you 'morally fail' are not 'true' Christians.

I could do the same with 'humanism' or some other umbrella term. Did you know that no humanist in the history of the planet has ever committed rape?

I've lived in a country that was 97% Christian and had outstandingly bad levels of violence, polygamy, rape, and STDs. They could have used a little increased atheism, in my view. Might have convinced them to wear a condom when they were whoring themselves around, to put it a little indelicately.

Well, you see I am a firm believer in a Christian actually living up to the title. If one goes against what Christ taught, then they have a fat hide wearing the label and bringing reproach on the one whose name they bear. There is no such thing as a "Christian" nation, regardless of what they want to call themselves. There are Christians in every nation, but you will only find them in jail for failing to uphold the laws of man, where these conflict with the laws of God.

Interestingly, the realm of false worship is pictured as a whore in Revelation.....appropriately. (Revelation 17;15-18; Revelation 18:1-5)

If someone calls themselves a humanitarian, then I would expect the same level of commitment to their title. They cannot by definition be someone who disregards humanity.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm in my mid-thirties, and I was reading earlier about what we learn as we age by decades. Science says that in our thirties we are "learning who we are? Why we are here? Asking the purpose in our lives." Forties is pretty much grounding that purpose as it grows. Fifties we found it but finding ways to cope with our decline, and so forth.

I learned a lot of things from both Catholicism and Buddhism when it comes to purpose of life and "the need for a god."

With Catholicism, I learned the purpose of life is through community and sacrifice in servant to others. In Buddhism I learned that we need to accept things change, we change from one generation to the next, and our values change as we get older. We need to be comfortable (core teachings) with suffering: birth, age, sickness, and death.

We have to understand that in life we are not given a purpose from an outside party. We are taught, raised with, adopted, or grown into a purpose we developed for ourselves. Whether it be through the Bible or self reflection, but everything comes from us, how we interpret life, and how we connect the dots.

With that said...
There is nothing wrong with science itself. The Creator is the originator of science and everything that science studies. It is evolutionary science that is at issue. This is pseudo-science IMO. It takes what science knows to be true and stretches it to the most unbelievable limits. It isn't what science knows that is the problem...it is what it suggests beyond the boundaries of what it knows.

Evolutionary science (the study of change in environment and species) is just the study of change and things growing or evolving from one stage to the next. When I was in geology class, we touched on "coming from aps" but it wasn't put that we came from aps. It was put that we evolved from what is called a lower species and we graduated to a higher more intelligent species. As human beings, we need to understand we, our flesh, are not spirits. We should stop attaching ourselves to our flesh (if one likes).

That's what I see you're doing with the accusation on evoluntary science. The fact is, we evolve. If the Creator made it be that we evolve from one species to another, however, interesting that is, who are we (to believers) to question how god created you and how you formed into who you are today?

What about your human body is so divine that you put down theories of where our bodies are from when science does not address who we are as spirit. Spirits always exist. They never die.

You're trimming the legs off the snake not addressing the entity possessing it.

What I learned in Catholicism is ditch all of that. Sacrifice (as what Jesus did) isn't about pointing fingers on how god created. In the Bible, take it literal or not, it isn't about the tools god use to create the world but how and more important the message you get that your origin comes from god. Science is just a study of that origin. Evolution means nothing in comparison.

What I learned from Buddhism is that we do change, we are born, live, age, and we die. We need to stop being attached to our form/bodies and be more concerned with our spirits. I believe we came from water. That's what I've been taught. That's one of many other theories science has came up with regarding our origin. I agree with it.

However, how does that put a threat to god when your origin, in my opinion, is only known by god. Once you seek out to know what god knows (climb to the sky to find god) you do the opposite of what god wants you to do and not do.

Buddhist taught me to be comfortable with not knowing. On that note of not knowing...

No, science itself is marvelous! What is 'sinful' is to make science compete with God as to the reason for our existence.

If we simply evolved by a mindless undirected mechanism that has led us here.....what is the point of all this life?

I don't understand how science competes with god. If god is the creator of everything, nothing can compete with him not even in concept. It sounds like a form of attachment to human theories. Science has a lot of theories. Believers claim their beliefs are facts. That's why they conflict (in my head, at least).

Not knowing we need a purpose is actually a beautiful thing. In my 30s, I'm trying not to get trapped into "needing a purpose" because if that be the case, I'd be thrown on everyone else's purposes (god's included) without reflecting on who I am and my wants and needs. How do I identify with myself and so forth. That is the purpose: self-reflection. When you sacrifice yourself as Jesus (to translate), you reflect on his passion.

But if there is no god, that doesn't mean we have no purpose. It just means you have to use more brain energy (no pun) to understand life and what you cannot know. It means "giving up the ghost" and finding who you are by where you live, who you interact with, your blood, your ancestry, yourself. It means putting the "higher power" as a service to humanity as that is what the church is.

The purpose of life shouldn't have to be spoon fed. I know my ex friend would die without god and the church. She needs to be spoon fed a belief in god that will take care of her. My co-worker is the same. Many people are. (Probably why people don't like to be questioned their beliefs here on RF).

You don't have to divorce your beliefs but if you can think of a minute what it would be like to think for yourself, can you think of something that defines you that is not sinful?

What is the purpose of the universe and our place in it?

This goes with above. We don't know. We have to accept that. Some of us need to be lead others are leaders. When it comes to science, I don't see that as part of the equation. I depend on my environment; and, to many who do, we do see our physical natural environment as "God" because our environment takes care of us. That's where we find our place. Not looking up at the stars but finding your grounding where you stand.

If this is all there is...."let us eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die".

Fun. Ain't it?
Banane21.gif
Do what the Romans do. Some people can live and find meaning in just these things others can't.

On the other hand, if there is a purpose in our existence and for the universe itself, then we need to know about it. The Creator has provided a manual so that we can know what happened in the past, explain the situation we are experiencing at present, and understand how to fit in with his plans for the future.

In my opinion and belief, the manual is life itself. It's here. It's me learning more about you and people on RF. It's me going into my career and working with people in the language I love and express myself in. It's my family. It's my ancestral spirits. It's my prayers. It's my depression. It's my illness. These things are all my "manual" for lie. When I reflect (as mentioned above) and understand these things, I am more grounded.

I tried reading the Bible and it made me physically sick. Not just because of the deaths in it. I rather read the Buddhist sutras if I went off of life and death morals, but because I am given life when in reality, I already have it to begin with. I don't need someone to die for me when everythign comes from me.

I use myself as a placeholder for some people in general. A lot of us don't have that need for a physical manual.

In regards to science, it just is. It is beautiful, I agree. I just find you're putting more emphasis on the people's flesh rather than the people's spirit.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If someone calls themselves a humanitarian, then I would expect the same level of commitment to their title. They cannot by definition be someone who disregards humanity.

Exactly my point...

Statement 1 :
Because you're a Christian, you judge Christianity in a certain way, and it's basically a given that Christians are monogamous, don't do drugs, don't fight, and are generally polite and humble.

Of the group you define as true Christians, 100% of them are monogomous, don't do drugs, don't fight, and are generally polite and humble. Amazing, right?

If we had more people like that, and less average folk, I envisage decreased levels of marriage breakup, decreased drug usage, lower levels of violence and a more humble society.

Statement 2 :
A humanist may judge humanism in a certain way. It's basically a given that a humanist doesn't fight, helps others, and is generally a caring and giving type of person.

Of the group defined as true humanists, 100% of them don't fight, help others, and are generally caring and giving type of people. Incredible co-incidence, I know.

If we had more people like that, and less average folk, I envisage less violence, a more helpful society, and one in which people care for one another.

Statement 3 :
Society would be better off with more people who are not violent and try to help those around them.

Indeed it would.

:shrug:

Sonofason

This sounds like personal opinion and belief. If science is study of the natural world and what is true and fact, then I don't see the difference between that and a flawless god.

Science says one and one is two. Humans created the words and we discovered correctly how we came to that conclusion.

Outside of us, the science of mathematics is still correct. We're not the center of the universe. If you take two separate things and put it together, it will always double. So, how can this science be flawed compared to a flawless god?

How can the laws of nature be flawed and god be flawless?

That, and given you believe god is flawless, then he would be in the realm of science. If science is about facts and god is a fact, how is he different than the laws of nature.

We don't worship science. (Unless you're a scientist and know the scientific community?) Most people I know here are religious and 90 percent are Christian in my immediate and local environment. We have Christian scientists. I don't understand the opposition between the two. One is studying creation and the other is the creator. Take out human beings, how is science flawed?
Without human beings, we have no knowledge. Without knowledge, there is no science.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Without human beings, we have no knowledge. Without knowledge, there is no science.

Science still exists (Mathematics, Geology, etc) they all exist and the laws of physics. Just we have to be here to define it for ourselves and understanding. Our environment and interactions thereof isn't depended only on us to survive. (I should put 'we aren't the center of the universe' as my RF calling card)

Sonofason

Science still exists (Mathematics, Geology, etc) they all exist and the laws of physics. Just we have to be here to define it for ourselves and understanding. Our environment and interactions thereof isn't depended only on us to survive. (I should put 'we aren't the center of the universe' as my RF calling card)
No it doesn't. Science is knowledge. If there is no one there to know, then there is nothing that can be known. Everything would be unknown, and that is not knowledge, and that is not science. Science is the study of the world around us, it is not the world around us. Without someone studying, there is no knowledge.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Exactly my point...

Statement 1 :
Because you're a Christian, you judge Christianity in a certain way, and it's basically a given that Christians are monogamous, don't do drugs, don't fight, and are generally polite and humble.

Of the group you define as true Christians, 100% of them are monogomous, don't do drugs, don't fight, and are generally polite and humble. Amazing, right?

If we had more people like that, and less average folk, I envisage decreased levels of marriage breakup, decreased drug usage, lower levels of violence and a more humble society.

This is what you would expect to see.....right? And this is what I see in my own brotherhood. Those who do not wish to live according to Christ's standards do not last long in our "family" of spiritual brothers and sisters. We see the need to live up to what we call ourselves. It is an obligation for us, not just a choice. It doesn't mean that we are perfect by any means, but this is the standard we all try to live by....no exceptions....no excuses. There is however repentance and forgiveness, but this is not a license to sin.

Statement 2 :
A humanist may judge humanism in a certain way. It's basically a given that a humanist doesn't fight, helps others, and is generally a caring and giving type of person.

Of the group defined as true humanists, 100% of them don't fight, help others, and are generally caring and giving type of people. Incredible co-incidence, I know.

If we had more people like that, and less average folk, I envisage less violence, a more helpful society, and one in which people care for one another.

Indeed. But a humanist can be an atheist. The Creator never said he was going to favor "good people" even though being "good" is a prerequisite, it isn't the only one. The Creator requires obedience to his laws. Humanists do not necessarily see the need to abide by God's moral laws....though they might be more amiable in the process of disobeying them. ;)

Statement 3 :
Society would be better off with more people who are not violent and try to help those around them.

Indeed it would.

:shrug:

And in Bible prophesy, this is the kind of world promised because the ones who want to do things their way, won't be here, no matter how "good" they may think they are. They will go "extinct" in the scientific terminology because of failing to acknowledge their Creator and true sovereign. :oops:

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
If there is a God who has provided the means by which we can know about his activities, then why do you disbelieve him?
If this is going to turn into an attempt to guilt me into thinking like you, see ya.
You are entitled to believe whatever you like. Theistic evolution is a compromise IMV...a sellout to preserve some credibility.
There is no conflict between science and creation.....but there is a conflict in implying that something took place when there is no solid evidence. See Just Accidental?
I never said it was accidental. God guided evolution.
I am free willed individual and it is because of free will and its abuse that humanity is experiencing this learning curve.
You are wrong and you know it.
Just hapless passengers in life who are foreordained to live or die in an inevitable crash....what kind of a loving God would do that?
One that has to make a decision based upon grace and his glory.
Cherry picking verses doesn't make it so. How can we be held "responsible" for what God has foreordained?
Romans 9:15-17, How could God hold Pharaoh responsible?
If everything is foreordained, then what is the purpose of the preaching work commissioned by Jesus? (Matthew 10:11-14)
To call the elect to eternal life.
Is it just to say "I told you so"?
I think you need to learn to not take any of these online conversations personally. I don't know you.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
If the Bible is correct...and I believe it is, then there is a master deceiver in the world out to shoot down belief in God so that he can siphon off worship for himself. Unfortunately, science is just an alternate religion for some. It seems to make its adherents feel superior to us feeble minded peasants, who appear to be wrapped up in silly superstition.
eghfal.gif
Time will tell I guess.
And the Bible supports your view, Deeje. -- John 8:44; Revelation 12:9

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
This is what you would expect to see.....right? And this is what I see in my own brotherhood. Those who do not wish to live according to Christ's standards do not last long in our "family" of spiritual brothers and sisters. We see the need to live up to what we call ourselves. It is an obligation for us, not just a choice. It doesn't mean that we are perfect by any means, but this is the standard we all try to live by....no exceptions....no excuses. There is however repentance and forgiveness, but this is not a license to sin.

Hmm...
You appear to be impervious to logic.
I get that you think there is objective morality. And I get that you think it was set by God.
Can you at least see that anyone who doesn't follow your God is automatically a moral slider, regardless of their behaviour?

Indeed. But a humanist can be an atheist. The Creator never said he was going to favor "good people" even though being "good" is a prerequisite, it isn't the only one. The Creator requires obedience to his laws. Humanists do not necessarily see the need to abide by God's moral laws....though they might be more amiable in the process of disobeying them. ;)

I'm not big on blind obedience. It's something I have had to unlearn over the years. It's never done me any favours, and I refuse to saddle my girls with that sort of baggage. Far more important to take personal responsibility for your own choices, than abdicate that to an external authority.

If God exists, doesn't understand my reasoning, and wants to punish me...well...not like I can do anything about it, is it? God could be this all loving being (the apparent contradiction in that notwithstanding) or he could be evil and have everyone fooled, but whatever else let's jut assume he's powerful. So any version of 'Do What I Say, or Else' is obviously quite compelling in some ways.

But to your mind he gave me Free Will. And a somewhat rational mind. If he has an issue with my employing them, so be it.

And in Bible prophesy, this is the kind of world promised because the ones who want to do things their way, won't be here, no matter how "good" they may think they are. They will go "extinct" in the scientific terminology because of failing to acknowledge their Creator and true sovereign. :oops:

Oh well. Better to die a free man, and all that...
I'm a Republican, too, you might be surprised to hear.

;)