• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Battle Between The Christian Religion and Science

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Interesting you mention Shabbat, the seventh "day". In Hebrews 4:4-9, Paul said God's rest day in Genesis was still continuing into his day. In fact we're still in God's rest day!
The Laws dealing with Shabbat can be found here: Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) , and it is very clear that it is a reference to one day out of the week

It indeed is a "rest day", but are the other days of the week "rest days"? Clearly not since I'm quite sure you don't observe the Laws about Shabbat on the other six days of the week and probably not even on Shabbat itself. My two sets of JW neighbors didn't and don't.

Clearly it was poetic, the days were symbolic, representing time periods.
No, it is not "clearly", especially since throughout most of Jewish and Christian history it was felt that these were literal days, and I betcha that was also true of the JW's over a century ago as well.

Secondly, did you ever stop and think that if it is to be viewed as "poetic", then why can't you accept the possibility that the creation accounts themselves are maybe "poetic"? IOW, all you are really doing is picking & choosing what you want to label as "poetic".

A reasoning person can see that too much was going on to fit into 24 hours!
Oh, so God couldn't have created all in six literal days?.

I would suggest that a "reasoning person" would acknowledge what the established evidence for the basic ToE is clearly telling us, and then maybe even realize that seeing the creation accounts as allegory makes much more sense.

But what is truly pathetic about the JW stance is the judgementalism on this to the point of essentially saying that if someone doesn't agree with the JW take on evolution, then they're not real Christians. To me, that position is demonic, especially since it violates Jesus' "judge ye not" teaching. Even the fundamentalist church I grew up in weren't so blatantly judgemental to do something that is so utterly deplorable since it defies what both Jesus and Paul taught.

So, I guess you're gonna have to deal with this question: do you believe in what Jesus and Paul taught or do you believe with your JW leaders teach you because the two are not compatible?