• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bahai interpretation of Jesus, the crucifixion, and him in the Qur'an

Clara Tea

thought they had crucified Christ but in reality they hadn’t as His Spirit clearly lives.

Adrian, my peaceful and knowledgeable friend. I'm always impressed.

However, I am confused. Does crucifixion kill spirits too, not just the body?

InvestigateTruth

It still says Jesus was not Crucified. Thats the bottomline.

"Never say that those martyred in the cause of Allah are dead—in fact, they are alive! But you do not perceive it."
2:154

So, if Jesus, was crucified in the cause of Allah, would Allah say' they killed Jesus, or He would say, it appeared to them that they killed and crucified Him?

Allah Himself says, Never say He died! That is verse 2:154

Baha'is understand Quran as a whole, not just a passage isolated.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Adrian, my peaceful and knowledgeable friend. I'm always impressed.

However, I am confused. Does crucifixion kill spirits too, not just the body?

Hey Clara,

Thanks for your kind words. Crucifixion does not destroy the soul of man, much less the soul of a Manifestation of God. An important aspect of the Baha’i worldview is we have a soul that progresses beyond this physical life to be reunited with Him whom created us (God).

Through Jesus, God Revealed Himself to an immeasurable degree that transcends human capacity. After Jesus was crucified, His Spirit was resurrected and then ascended to heaven (Acts of the apostles 1:9-11). Jesus conquered death and He lives. Further, through the Spirit of Jesus, we can come to know and love God. That would not be possible if Jesus’ Spirit had died on the cross along with His physical body.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe it depends on how one wishes to view the word crucified. If you mean that the event of crucifixion went all the way to completion then it did not and the Qu'ran is correct by that definition but if you mean the process of crucifixion was started in the past, then you would be correct.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe that most religions accept other sources as from God ,other than their own. The bible However does not allow for this to be possible . This criteria I believe is one of the reasons people are deceived ( This is one of the reasons on " Easily deceived " Post )

I believe sometimes the added information helps one to understand one's scripture better. The problem is that people would rather misinterpret scripture than accept another religions scripture.

Muffled

Jesus in me
According to my understanding they interpret it as "He was not crucified" but believe that by "He" here the spirit of Jesus is what is being referred to, not the body of Jesus.

You can call that mental gymnastics if you like, but it is a strawman to say they translate the words differently in my opinion.

I believe there is no grounds for saying "he" means spirit. If it were Spirit it would say Spirit.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It is a sad fact that "some" Christians have to trash the Baha'i Faith and they will always find reasons for doing do, because they believe they have the only true religion and the only way to God. Nothing could be more arrogant than that and only a person with an IQ below 80 would fail to see that.

If Christianity was the only true religion and the only way to God that would mean God is not a loving and just God, since 70% of people in the world are not Christians, and they are not going to be either because Christianity is not growing very fast and many people are dropping out.

Baha'is do not trash Christianity even if we disagree on some Christian doctrines. We do not have to trash Christianity because we are not threatened by Christianity. People only attack when they feel threatened in some way.

Muffled

Jesus in me
In case you didn't know here is the translation of that verse in full: Sura 4:157. That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah.;- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

firedragon

Veteran Member
I believe it depends on how one wishes to view the word crucified. If you mean that the event of crucifixion went all the way to completion then it did not and the Qu'ran is correct by that definition but if you mean the process of crucifixion was started in the past, then you would be correct.

The question of this is not if the Quran is correct historically or not. It is whether the Bahai belief that the Quran is Gods word, while also believing that Jesus was Crucified is conflicting.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My questions would for a Bahai' on Christ Jesus would be this: Is Jesus Christ the only way to get to the Christian God? (John 14:6), Do you believe in heart Jesus Christ was risen again (Romans 4:25) from the dead by the Christian God of the bible? (Romans 10:1-10)

Those would be my only two questions.
No, Baha'is do not believe that Jesus is the only way to God, we believe that there were other Manifestations of God besides Jesus, before and after Jesus.

Baha'is do not believe there is a Christian God just for Christians, we believe in the one true God of all the religions.

No, Baha'is do not believe that the physical body of Jesus rose from the grave. We believe that when Jesus died His soul ascended to heaven and took on a spiritual body.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It is a sad fact that "some" Christians have to trash the Baha'i Faith and they will always find reasons for doing do, because they believe they have the only true religion and the only way to God. Nothing could be more arrogant than that and only a person with an IQ below 80 would fail to see that.

If Christianity was the only true religion and the only way to God that would mean God is not a loving and just God, since 70% of people in the world are not Christians, and they are not going to be either because Christianity is not growing very fast and many people are dropping out.

Baha'is do not trash Christianity even if we disagree on some Christian doctrines. We do not have to trash Christianity because we are not threatened by Christianity. People only attack when they feel threatened in some way.

Why dont Bahai's pose valid arguments to their conflict with the Quran rather than build irrelevant arguments to attack an irrelevant point to the subject of the thread?

firedragon

Veteran Member
No, I am out of this game. I have no need to prove anything or defend anything.

Of course. Any forum or any thread is irrelevant to anyone who thinks "I dont need to".

But dont say "I have done it already" when your argument is "I dont need to".

Have a great day.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Of course. Any forum or any thread is irrelevant to anyone who thinks "I dont need to".

But dont say "I have done it already" when your argument is "I dont need to".

Have a great day.
"I have done it already" and that is why "I don't need to" do it again.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

John1.12

Free gift
I believe sometimes the added information helps one to understand one's scripture better. The problem is that people would rather misinterpret scripture than accept another religions scripture.
But from the perspective of the bible . I believe Only the bible is from God .