• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baha'i belief about animal behavior, scientific or not?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is very far from the only thing that
shows he had no idea what he was talking
about, when it would have been so easy to
observe or ask around.

It is good though, in that is so nicely underscores
the fact thst RELIGIOUS "TEACHERS" JUST MAKE
THINGS UP!!
Indeed. There are tons of sites that make long lists of fallacies, not just for Baha'i, but for many places. Maybe it's better to just admit faith is illogical.

David T

Premium Member
The purpose of Abdu'l-Baha's statements is NOT to provide a scientific exposition on the branch of science known as zoology. He was a religious leader. Like other religious leaders, he used the natural world as a metaphor for the spiritual reality of man.
Adrian, Adrian adrian..... Sigh.

Obviously everyone knows factually that all religious texts must come under the sharp objective eye of science therefore assuring for all time, all metaphysics texts are thus inferior to all science. Thats a totally unbiased universial truth!!!!! So says such people who dont know how to actually read!

So i have to say adrian, your explanation makes exactly as much sense to the above types, as me explaining to my 4 year old daughter she actually was not reading the book she was imagining she was. she said"how do you know that" i said "because you have it upside down.".

Now the total passage apparently is difficult for some people but its pretty clear. Of course the same people also believe they actually understand the bible in clear scientific i dont believe fashion! Ha ha ha ha ha..... To funny. Where would anyone get that crazy idea to understand the bible that way? Oh my degree, theology! Hahahahahah bwaaaaah humbug. Merry christmas!

David T

Premium Member
I extracted some points after reading a few statements uttered by Abdu'l-Baha -the second Baha'i leader- that describe the behavior of some animals. These are the points:

• Domestic animals live in flocks and herds.
  • Domestic animals love and associate with each other.
  • Sheep, cows and horses graze together in concord and agreement.
  • ferocious animals and birds of prey are just the reverse of the domestic.
  • ferocious animals are never seen associating in love and fellowship.
  • ferocious animals live in solitary and alone or with a single mate.
  • When ferocious animals (like dogs, wolves, tigers, and lions) see each other, they manifest the utmost ferocity and fight to the death.
  • Ferocious animals, as soon as they meet, attack and fight with each other, tear each other to pieces and it is impossible for them to live peaceably together in one spot. They are all unsociable and fierce.
  • Domestic birds show fellowship and love.
  • if a dove from the east and a dove from the west, a dove from the north and a dove from the south chance to arrive, at the same time, in one spot, they immediately associate in harmony.
  • The meeting of two doves is a peace meeting.
  • When an eagle meets another eagle, there is a furious battle.
I believe many of the aforementioned statements are incorrect and are not in line with scientific observations. How do Baha'is reconcile the above statements with the Principle of Conformance of Science With Religion?

Sources:
"The blessed animals engage in no patriotic quarrels. They are in the utmost fellowship with one another and live together in harmony. For example, if a dove from the east and a dove from the west, a dove from the north and a dove from the south chance to arrive, at the same time, in one spot, they immediately associate in harmony. So is it with all the blessed animals and birds. But the ferocious animals, as soon as they meet, attack and fight with each other, tear each other to pieces and it is impossible for them to live peaceably together in one spot. They are all unsociable and fierce, savage and combative fighters." (Selections from the writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 416)​

"Study the law of affinity among the domestic animals. They manifest fellowship, they live in flocks and herds; the love of association is evident among them. Among birds we see evidences of instinctive fellowship and love. But the ferocious animals and birds of prey are just the reverse of the domestic. Sheep, cows and horses graze together in concord and agreement, but ferocious animals are never seen associating in love and fellowship. Each lives solitary and alone or with a single mate. When they see each other, they manifest the utmost ferocity. Dogs pounce upon dogs; wolves, tigers, lions rage, snarl and fight to the death. Their ferocity is instinctive. There is a creative reason for it. Birds of prey, like eagles and hawks, live solitary and build their nests apart, but doves fly in flocks and nest in the same branches. When an eagle meets another eagle, there is a furious battle. The meeting of two doves is a peace meeting. Therefore, it is evident that these blessed characteristics as well as the reverse are found among the creatures of a lower kingdom."(The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 207)​
Adrian already nailed it

David T

Premium Member
Ya know, one could gloss over a rather large mountain with that kind of thinking. :)
Adrian is nice! Its a flaw he has.

I on the other hand lean towards this approach. Which btw is common in church in context to other churches..

Norman Maclean:
The Burns family ran a general store in a one store town and still managed to do badly. They were Methodist, a denomination my father always referred to as Baptists who could read.

A river runs through it

David T

Premium Member
People who have a weakness to feel attracted to irrational belief systems can never be convinced by rational arguments.
They will just see the arguments as coming from a hostile enemy of their belief system.
Totally agree. I mean the following so unscientific its crazy nonsense.

There must be some way out of here
Said the joker to the thief. There's too much confusion I can't get no relief. Businessmen, they drink my wine Plowmen dig my earth None of them along the line Know what any of it is worth No reason to get excited The thief he kindly spoke. There are many here among us Who feel that life is but a joke. But you and I, we've been through that. And this is not our fate So let us not talk falsely now The hour is getting late. All along the watchtower Princes kept the view. While all the women came and wentBarefoot servants, too Outside in the distance A wildcat did growl Two riders were approaching The wind began to howl....
BD.