• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Avatar within.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Main Entry: av·a·tar
Pronunciation: \ˈa-və-ˌtär\
Function: noun
Etymology: Sanskrit avatāraḥ descent, from avatarati he descends, from ava- away + tarati he crosses over
Date: 1784
1 : the incarnation of a Hindu deity (as Vishnu)
2 a : an incarnation in human form b : an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person
3 : a variant phase or version of a continuing basic entity
4 : an electronic image that represents and is manipulated by a computer user (as in a computer game)
(definition from Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online)

This post is concerned more with definitions 2b and perhaps later 3.
It has been my long held belief that it is possible for anyone to become an avatar. I further more believe that you should try to become one. I believe that every person upon which a faith as been founded or inspired by had, in fact, become an avatar. In every case that I can find, but I will say "in the majority of cases" that person finds (or refines) this connection to the Divine outside of human contact while in direct contact with nature. Even in the Abrahamic faiths the key people either find God or spiritual inspiration in/from the "wilderness"/nature. After this close connection with the Creation in its natural state they come back changed and show by their example of how the view the connection to the Divine should be. At this point they are an Avatar ("an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person"). Often though those who follow that person tend to follow that person, not their ideas/teachings/actions. This need not be the case, for all have it within their grasp to become an Avatar by choosing to be. You can become the ambassador for who your understanding has led you to belief the Creator is. With focus and practice you may truly become an Avatar and a beacon unto others who become lost in the mists of illusion.

Your thoughts?

Last edited: