• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Attributes Of God

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

That's a blog written by a person that is clearly biased. His use of dubious terminology is also rather telling.
Find me a source that is a little more objective.

[qutoe]
In Christianity, however, our position is that there is forgiveness and restoration and all babies are in Heaven growing into fine young men and women (not parasites)[/quote]

Ow, so having an abortion in your view would actually be doing the children a favour?
Considering they go straight to heaven and won't live to potentially become apostates or unrepentent sinners and what not...

:rolleyes:

Yes... those are the two positions.

Then my point stands.
Anyone who claims that the woman's body is not.... the woman's body, is clearly wrong.

My body is my body.

So... bodily autonomy is a thing.
You are the boss of your own body.
Nobody gets to dictate to you what must happen with, or within, your body.

Then we should stop calling children "children". Let's start calling them parasites.
Somebody help me here! :eek:

When people use the word "child", then I think about born humans aged between 3 and 12.
Having said that, it seems you are butthurt that a zygote fits the definition of "parasite".

I don't mean it badly. I'm just not afraid to face facts.
And the fact is, that a zygote functions as a parasite.
It requires a host for survival and it feeds of said host.
That's textbook parasite.

If you want to be mad about that, be mad at biology.

Meanwhile the facts are what they are.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
That's a blog written by a person that is clearly biased. His use of dubious terminology is also rather telling.
Find me a source that is a little more objective.

Ow, so having an abortion in your view would actually be doing the children a favour?
Considering they go straight to heaven and won't live to potentially become apostates or unrepentent sinners and what not...

This is too weird for me...

I think it is more personal for you and there are deeper reasons why you have your position.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are correct, of course, though I tend toward a practice of jnana yoga. I think those that practice bhakti yoga are more inclined to tend toward experiencing Brahman as you describe above.
I think this may be why, while I can experience that Absolute Stillness, my approach is much more a response of love and devotion, gratitude, joy, etc. That fits with bhakti yoga, does it not?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Billy Graham was the most sincere believer out there.
Don't know how you can say that; although, many people do consider him to be the most popular believer . . . . after the Pope, of course.,

He bought into it all whole heartedly. His idea of loving a gay couple was to warn them of how sinful that was to God.[/quote]
Don't doubt it a bit.

"Over the course of Graham's 99 years of life, he reached millions of Christians around the world and had an outsized impact on the national political landscape. For many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, however, Graham was a crusader against them, one whose efforts shaped the religious right into an anti-LGBTQ political force.

Graham himself had few specific words on LGBTQ people, at least when compared to the rest of his expansive canon, but his disapproval of homosexuality was unequivocal.

Let me say this loud and clear!” Graham responded to a young woman who wrote to him in 1974 confessing her love for another woman. “We traffic in homosexuality at the peril of our spiritual welfare.” This was after Graham had claimed homosexuality to be a “sinister form of perversion” that was contributing to the decay of civilization, according to the book “Martin Luther King Jr., Homosexuality, and the Early Gay Rights Movement” by Michael G. Long.

Garrard Conley, the author of “Boy Erased,” a memoir in which he recounts his experiences in conversion therapy in Arkansas, said Graham’s rhetoric was frequently employed in the liturgy he encountered and in the camp where he was told he could be “cured” of homosexuality.

“Don't just take my word for it,” Conley added. “Graham called homosexuality 'a sinister form of perversion,' and never appears to have changed his thoughts on the matter."
source

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Don't know how you can say that; although, many people do consider him to be the most popular believer . . . . after the Pope, of course.,

He bought into it all whole heartedly. His idea of loving a gay couple was to warn them of how sinful that was to God.
Don't doubt it a bit.

"Over the course of Graham's 99 years of life, he reached millions of Christians around the world and had an outsized impact on the national political landscape. For many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, however, Graham was a crusader against them, one whose efforts shaped the religious right into an anti-LGBTQ political force.

Graham himself had few specific words on LGBTQ people, at least when compared to the rest of his expansive canon, but his disapproval of homosexuality was unequivocal.

Let me say this loud and clear!” Graham responded to a young woman who wrote to him in 1974 confessing her love for another woman. “We traffic in homosexuality at the peril of our spiritual welfare.” This was after Graham had claimed homosexuality to be a “sinister form of perversion” that was contributing to the decay of civilization, according to the book “Martin Luther King Jr., Homosexuality, and the Early Gay Rights Movement” by Michael G. Long.

Garrard Conley, the author of “Boy Erased,” a memoir in which he recounts his experiences in conversion therapy in Arkansas, said Graham’s rhetoric was frequently employed in the liturgy he encountered and in the camp where he was told he could be “cured” of homosexuality.

“Don't just take my word for it,” Conley added. “Graham called homosexuality 'a sinister form of perversion,' and never appears to have changed his thoughts on the matter."
source

[/QUOTE]
Christianity was his honest conviction. I didnt try to put him on a pedestal. Thats what you get with a Christian. He is the typical Christian you might say. I dont subscribe to Christianity myself. Christians are against homosexuality, they always have been.

And they are absolutely convicted that Christianity is the deal. They are not all faking that, many truly mean the thing.

Why else would they study scripture daily for hours? And devote their lives to spreading this message, at the risk of their own lives. They lay down their lives for it.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
Okay, if you are interested, what I was really getting at was not "what" people believe, but rather "whether they actually believe what they think they do." And very, very often, I think the answer to that is "no!"

So how do you find that out? Often, fairly simply. An example: I believe that little spiral of metal on the top of my stove, if it is glowing red, would be a really, really bad thing to rest my hand on. Trust me, I believe that, because as someone who loves to cook, I've burned (and cut) myself often enough to give me a some confidence my belief is correct. As a result, I would never, ever, unless coerced in a way I could not control, put my hand on that burner. That's belief! That's visceral, for real, heart-felt belief.

So try the same test with any other supposed belief. If a Christian tells you he profoundly believes what Christ said when he said "love others as I have loved you," and then ask them what they fell about the gay couple down the street, you might find that their supposed belief doesn't actually align with their behaviours. So then you have to ask yourself, which is the real them...their stated belief, or their treatment of those neighbours?

Here's a trivial challenge … try looking at Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, or any number of other religious leaders through that lens, and see if you conclude that they really believe in the Christ they pretend to know.
you are the first person I have read that actually agree with how I think

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
you are the first person I have read that actually agree with how I think
The longer I live, the more I've come to realize that many people who think of themselves as heartfelt believers, actually only "believe that they believe." Nothing that does not inform your behaviours can truly be called a core belief.

Do you know why I don't buy the "fool's tax" lottery tickets? Because I believe the odds are immensely against my winning. That belief informs my behaviour, and I keep my cash in my pocket.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this may be why, while I can experience that Absolute Stillness, my approach is much more a response of love and devotion, gratitude, joy, etc. That fits with bhakti yoga, does it not?

I think it would be.

Muffled

Jesus in me
To tell you the truth, I can't remember ever coming across his name. :shrug: Obviously he's a has-been theologian or Bible scholar who is no longer considered pertinent to Christian theology---except, that is, when his writings support some new dilly-dally Christian claim.

I have a devotional book written by him. Like most Christian authors he has his own ideas. When it comes to that I lawys test that by watt I know from the Bible and the Holy Spirit guides if there is an issue.

Muffled

Jesus in me
What you are saying doesn't make any sense. Spurgeon is considered a classic biblical theologian and if anything his writings and sermons would likely discredit, not support, "some new dilly-dally Christian claim".

I believe he is a bit conservative but I can't recall if I heard about his background.

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe he is a bit conservative but I can't recall if I heard about his background.
I think he was conservation and would especially be considered so compared to today's standard since he lived back in the 1800's.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon (19 June 1834[1] – 31 January 1892) was an English Particular Baptist preacher. Spurgeon remains highly influential among Christians of various denominations, among whom he is known as the "Prince of Preachers". He was a strong figure in the Reformed Baptist tradition, defending the Church in agreement with the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith understanding, and opposing the liberal and pragmatic theological tendencies in the Church of his day.
Charles Spurgeon - Wikipedia

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
Impartial is that God does not favor one person over another.
Actually (He) does. Remember where it is written that many will seek God, but few are chosen? Also do not forget that God is allegedly all-knowing, and God has already declared that out of the billions of humans who have come and gone....that only 144,000 will be chosen.

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
God is LOVE.
Hmmm, try telling that to all the mothers of all the helpless innocent children who are starving to death at this very moment.

Try telling that to the little girls and unmarried women whom this loooving God awarded to (His) soldiers as spoils of war, to do with as they pleased.

Try telling that to all those pregnant women whom this looving God ordered to have their bellies ripped open with swords causing their unborn infants to be dashed upon the rocks.

Try telling that to all those, innocent as well as sinner, who were drowned in that alleged world-wide flood, so that the loooving God could be rid of them, and start all over again.

Try telling that to all the mamas of all those 1st born who died during the 'passover', simply because this omnipotent Loooving God couldn't find any way to negotiate a deal with the Pharaoh of Egypt.

There is more, but I think you can catch my drift from the above.

MonkeyFire

Hmmm, try telling that to all the mothers of all the helpless innocent children who are starving to death at this very moment.

Try telling that to the little girls and unmarried women whom this loooving God awarded to (His) soldiers as spoils of war, to do with as they pleased.

Try telling that to all those pregnant women whom this looving God ordered to have their bellies ripped open with swords causing their unborn infants to be dashed upon the rocks.

Try telling that to all those, innocent as well as sinner, who were drowned in that alleged world-wide flood, so that the loooving God could be rid of them, and start all over again.

Try telling that to all the mamas of all those 1st born who died during the 'passover', simply because this omnipotent Loooving God couldn't find any way to negotiate a deal with the Pharaoh of Egypt.

There is more, but I think you can catch my drift from the above.

Invincibility fights for the anti-Christ. Not only is their a devil but he can meet the omnipotent angel tic for tac and then cause as much pain and suffering as possible.