• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Asininity of "Gun-Free" Zones

Rational Agnostic

I am of the opinion that one of the biggest reasons that so many mass shootings have been occurring is the fact that many public buildings in the United States are declared "gun-free" zones. These buildings contain signs posted on their doors that state something to the effect of "No firearms allowed in this building." As a result, citizens who lawfully carry concealed weapons for self-defense are not allowed to do so in these buildings, and, if they are law-abiding, they will remove their weapons prior to entering the building. However, the only people who will respect these signs are law-abiding citizens. No one intent on conducting a mass shooting is going to blink at a sign that says guns are not allowed! As a result, these "gun-free signs," are literally removing all possible defenses against mass shootings, by effectively disarming people who could prevent a mass murder, while leaving the only possible carriers of weapons in the hands of violent criminals. There are only two possible solutions to this problem: either 1) Enforce the signs and ensure that every building that is a declared "gun-free zone" is surrounded by armed guards/police officers who check everyone entering and ensure that they are not carrying firearms, or 2) Pass legislation that prohibits all public establishments from posting signs that state "no guns allowed" on their doors. Solution 1) would be a dangerous step in the direction of a totalitarian police state. Therefore, Solution 2) is the only viable option.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here's a useful sign....
th

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
1) Is done at most government building Gun Free zones in my state. They make you go through an Airport Security type check. Even some of the Gun Free Schools in my state already do the same thing. So I guess my state is on the way to a police state.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
And how often has a private individual with a gun, managed to stop a mass shooting anywhere.
It is statistically insignificant.

Signs do not stop individuals, or criminals doing anything.
However checks for guns certainly help.

In shoot out situations, even trained officers manage to kill passers by.
Imaging the confusion if every one started shooting.
A civilian with a gun would be a target for the police and for the criminals. More guns would not help, just cause more deaths and injuries.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
And how often has a private individual with a gun, managed to stop a mass shooting anywhere.

Signs do not stop individuals, or criminals doing anything.
However checks for guns certainly help.

In shoot out situations, even trained officers manage to kill passers by.
Imaging the confusion if every one started shooting.
A civilian with a gun would be a target for the police and for the criminals. More guns would not help, just cause more deaths and injuries.
what statistics are you basing this post on?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This poses an interesting question.....
If someone shot a violent perp, how could it possibly be known that a mass shooting
was prevented? There might be a few cases where the perp was heavily armed,
& it could be said he (always a he) was bent on mass mayhem.
But this approach doesn't appear to be amenable to disproof by statistical analysis.

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

It hasn't happened that often because law-abiding citizens tend to obey signs that say "no guns." That was the point of the post. The reason it hasn't happened that often is because scenarios are created in which it cannot happen. IF, "gun-free zone" laws were removed, I would wager that the incidence of mass shootings would be reduced, and many law-abiding citizens would prevent mass shootings.

omega2xx

I am of the opinion that one of the biggest reasons that so many mass shootings have been occurring is the fact that many public buildings in the United States are declared "gun-free" zones. These buildings contain signs posted on their doors that state something to the effect of "No firearms allowed in this building." As a result, citizens who lawfully carry concealed weapons for self-defense are not allowed to do so in these buildings, and, if they are law-abiding, they will remove their weapons prior to entering the building. However, the only people who will respect these signs are law-abiding citizens. No one intent on conducting a mass shooting is going to blink at a sign that says guns are not allowed! As a result, these "gun-free signs," are literally removing all possible defenses against mass shootings, by effectively disarming people who could prevent a mass murder, while leaving the only possible carriers of weapons in the hands of violent criminals. There are only two possible solutions to this problem: either 1) Enforce the signs and ensure that every building that is a declared "gun-free zone" is surrounded by armed guards/police officers who check everyone entering and ensure that they are not carrying firearms, or 2) Pass legislation that prohibits all public establishments from posting signs that state "no guns allowed" on their doors. Solution 1) would be a dangerous step in the direction of a totalitarian police state. Therefore, Solution 2) is the only viable option.

For sure the killing at Ft. Hood, would have been less if the soldiers were packing.

IMO, Trump will end that nonsense, soon after taking office.

Rational Agnostic

Why is it that right-leaning politicians pass laws to allow guns in public places-- except where they work?

Concealed carry laws in my opinion should also prohibit public establishments from declaring themselves gun-free UNLESS the establishment has a system to enforce the "no gun" sign. An example would be a major public event, in which security screens every individual who enters. In this case, I agree that guns should be banned, but only because of security screenings.

Rational Agnostic

For sure the killing at Ft. Hood, would have been less if the soldiers were packing.

IMO, Trump will end that nonsense, soon after taking office.

I certainly hope that Trump will be able to end these unenforceable "gun-free" laws. I did not vote for Trump due to his lack of knowledge and experience among other problems but I like him, and certainly think he has a lot of common sense.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Concealed carry laws in my opinion should also prohibit public establishments from declaring themselves gun-free UNLESS the establishment has a system to enforce the "no gun" sign. An example would be a major public event, in which security screens every individual who enters. In this case, I agree that guns should be banned, but only because of security screenings.
Are you saying that I have to allow those with a carry permit/license to carry on my property?