• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Artist Magistra Q that hopefully can shed some light

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What then is it to be a Christian and how am I not a Christian even now?

A Christian is one who has put his trust in Jesus Christ as Lord believing that he was raised from the dead. Not just lip service but heart devotion. I would not know if you have truly don't that.

If its basically not even doing anything in particular really and just being me and eating and sleeping and stuff?

I even read the scriptures quite frequently anyway. Is the only thing that makes a person a Saved Christian vs a Non-Christian simply the matter of saying we believe in something that we haven't seen (the resurrection of Jesus and that Jesus is God)? Then one can live their life almost in the manner of any atheist, buying, selling, pooping, sleeping, and dying, and that is it?

Good question.

Think of it as a marriage... if you said to your spouse "I LOVE you and will spend the rest of my life showing you" and then all you did was just eat, sleep and stuff... did you really mean it in the first place?

Or, the moment you really meant it, and you were at the altar, wasn't it the moment you said "I DO" that you became man and wife? Of course there is a life you live after you meant what you said, but the marriage was still done in a few minutes.

Accepting the gift of life is instantaneous... but if Jesus IS your Lord, you would have a life to live for him doing what love asks for.

So, obviously if you continued your life as an atheist, thief, liar etc... did you really mean it when you confessed him as Lord? I would say "no". No less that when I said to my wife "I DO" it followed with "how can I show you my love; I will forsake all other women" or however else it translates to.

Then the one who made the statement "I believe in what I never saw, that Jesus was resurrected and is God and died for my sins, which I can't possibly know except that I can say it" is saved, and the others go to hell and live with their devil comrades? Can we ever have a good relationship with the demons who hate us, since we'll be inhabiting the same place together due to our inability to say these things about Jesus?

Certainly I know that George Washington lived and that he was the first president yet I have never seen him or his white horse.

It is too easy to be the judge when you aren't the judge. Of course, if you love your friends, wouldn't you share with them what you experienced? I didn't. He changed my life and at the end of 20 years, every brother, sister, aunt, grandmother niece , nephew etc had given their lives too. I was the first of my family.

But as being friends with demons... I don't think so.

As for the Jesus talking about killing, this verse has often puzzled me, what is this about in your opinion:

Luke 19:27
But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'"

and also somewhat puzzling for me (as I prefer a Cosmic Universal Christ to a specific and exclusive one):

That is a parable and not a factual "do this". There are two applications... 1st - the destruction that was to come to Jerusalem in 70AD or the end-times when those who will not yield to God but rather are the enemies of God and His people and have no desire but to kill those people will be dealt with accordingly.

Matthew 15:24
He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

and this was concerning for me as well:

Actually, that is just half the story. Yes... while on earth his primary goal was to the lost sheep of Israel. If you read about out in the Old Testament, all of Israel was supposed to be priest to the world.

He always had the rest of the world in mind.

John 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

We are those "not of this fold" which he also was to bring and it started with the Centurion Cornelius.

Matthew 7:23
Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

What is going on in these verse and verses like these? Also, when Paul says "first the Jew", why first the Jew?

There were so many people throughout the world and all generations, and even now, but why is so much emphasis on this small ethnic group and their particular names and ideas about God? All the rest of the whole world were rubbish?

Not at all... This is the picture within the picture. The issue for Israel was to usher in the Messiah. He narrowed the scope, and narrowed the scope, and narrowed the scope until it wasn't just anyone anywhere in the world that would be the one.

But the intent was still for the whole world.

Zechariah 2:11And many nations shall be joined to the Lord in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the Lord of hosts hath sent me unto thee.

Psalm 2:8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession

He always had the world in mind and still does. Jesus didn't die for just the Jewish nation, he was crucified for all mankind.

Do you know about Michael Heiser? What do you think of his ideas?

I've enjoyed all the answers and dialogue so far a lot, and I think this will still all be really very good for people who might come by this thread to read your perspective.

I can't say that I have heard of him... I will look him up.

Edit:

I didn't know he made the LOGOS study program... I have that one.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
@The Artis Magistra Questions

1. Who is the Lord,
2. who are the Other Gods or Options,
3. How does one choose or prove they have chosen the Lord,
4. who is the Devil,
5. what are the works of the Devil,
6. how were the works of the Devil revealed or exposed and
7. how were they destroyed,
8. what are demons exactly,
9. what is the form/appearance/activities of the Devil and of the demons,
10. what happens to people who choose gods other than the Lord you described above,
11. how do we know we are dealing with the Lord and not some imposter or that it is right,
12. what form do the demons take today and how are they followed or worshipped or harming people today and
13. how did they do so in the past in comparison,
14. is there only a particular name of God that is appropriate to use or consider or can other names be used (like the names used by Amorites),
15. is it the concept we have in our mind that counts or our activities or ritual performances or name we use or what exactly counts to indicate our party/choice,
16. how do we live a good life,
17. what happens after we die and why do you think so,
18. how do we attain a good afterlife,
19. what benefit is choosing the Lord (what do I get out of it, how do I know, and what if anything do you think the Lord gets out of it?),
20. who is Jesus,
21. what was the role and duty or job of Jesus,
23. why was Jesus necessary or put into play,
24. could Jesus have failed, could the Lord or God fail or be defeated or overcome,
25. is it right to worship Jesus
26. is Jesus the Lord or God and is the Lord God and are there any other Lords or Gods that are real or actual or powerful at all,
27. what should I do in a day, every day, or how often should I do whatever (and what would that be exactly, step by step) to achieve the best now and later,
28. could you explain the thing about "I know what God wills" again (I am currently understanding it as feeling confident that you know God wants good for you and that you have the freedom to go about your life and actions however you want, so the knowing is mainly about knowing that God wants you to do and think certain things? Maybe I haven't quite grasped the meaning just yet, but if you could help elaborate on that specifically),
29. what does the Lord or God want from me or us and how do I know that is so or how can I trust such is true,
30. do you sense the presence of demons or demonic possession on this website or among any of its members (and what indicates such?),
31. how can we personally defeat demons or destroy their works and protect ourselves,
32. what other threats are there than demons,
33. what is God's role or help regarding demons and what is our role and position or authority in dealing with them or power against them and their works,
34. what are your personal feelings and views regarding each of the other religions or major religions each and with special or extensive commentary on,
35. Allah and Islam,
36. Judaism which rejects Christianity,
37. Hinduism and Hindu Sects,
38. Buddhist and Buddhist Sects,
39. New Religions and Cults,
40. Neo-Paganism and Magic as well as The New Age and Spiritism,
41. Atheistic and Theistic Satanism and Dark Sorcery/Malicious Witchcraft,
42. Atheism and Agnosticism
43. Animism and Voodoo type things,
44. Politics and Conspiracy,
45. Wealth Accumulation and Self-Care or Showing Off type things like getting really fit or dedicating oneself to achievements or status or prestige or fame,
46. who do you think are spiritually the best or most likely to achieve good in this life and the afterlife in your opinion among people you know and on here,
47. who do you think are spiritually the worst or most likely to achieve bad in this life and the afterlife in your opinion among people you've heard of or here,
(These would give me examples to try to understand right from wrong according to your understanding of things or your reading of the scripture),
48. what is your personal story with religion and how you became this way and what have the pros and honestly the cons been in how you've developed,
49. how would you like to improve or where and in what areas do you think you could improve and how would these changes benefit you,
50. do you think a person who dedicates themselves to Allah and worship of Allah five times a day or Odin or whatever stands a chance for good,
51. do you think they will be given less or their efforts not counted or they will be destroyed or will be failures,
52. why do you think people will their genitals maimed or whatever can't be part of the Lord's assembly,
53. what are some things you question or give you pause in the scripture and what are some unsolved mysteries and puzzles in it that disturb you still if any,
54. how can I know for certain both right from wrong as well as when I'm right and wrong about something or the benefits I should legitimately expect,
55. is Amanaki's recent interest and practice in Islam headed in the wrong direction in your opinion and is he demonically influenced or harming himself,
56. what should Amanaki do if you were to suggest all the best things for him and his daily practices,
57. should Amanaki worship the Lord or Jesus and how would he go about doing this and should Amanaki abandon Allah and the worship of Allah,
58. would it be good for humanity (and bad for the Devil) if the word Allah was expelled from the tongues and minds of all humanity and extinguished,
59. what is the description of and daily life and practices of the most ideal follower of the Lord or Jesus or a Christian in your understanding,
60. are you like that or do you try to be like that and do all that yourself daily,
61. if all humanity were to be what you consider the most perfect and ideal, how do you think things would look or be and what wouldn't be present or here,
62. and finally, do lots of questions make you suspicious of my intentions or irritated or do you actually enjoy the opportunity to share all your thoughts?
63. What is Faith?
64. What is Religion?
65. What is the Right and Best Religion and Why?
66. What is the Most Wrong and Worst Religion or Practice or Belief System or Thought and Why?
67. Could you explain more about the incident where Jesus couldn't perform miracles, what was going on there in that scene exactly?
68. How do we have power or perform miracles or what is this having faith and moving mountains business all about, can you explain that?
69. How far do you believe the turning the other cheek, giving in to your enemies, cutting off your own hand or foot or gouging out your eye thing should go?
70. What is the Truth, The Way, The Life, and how far am I from practicing it, and how do I do it and know I am doing it or doing enough?
71. What can I trust and why? Like, can I trust my heart (and what is my heart?) or my mind or thoughts or reasoning or the scripture? How/Why?
I have all the answers but lost the sheet they're on.:(

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
1. Who is the Lord,

The Lord appears to be an Abrahamic deity which I might believe exists. Where I disagree is whether he is one of many gods, which I do think he is.

There are many Hindu gods and I'll start by mentioning Krishna and the Trimurti.

That sounds like a personal spiritual thing especially with the Abrahamic God not preferring showy prayers.

4. who is the Devil,

Seems to be a madeup character in Christian theology. Perhaps representing our lower self as seen by the Abrahamic God.

I don't know. He seems to like to corrupt kingdoms and rulers.

Demons seem to be the most evil of spirits, spirits which come from a very low plane.

10. what happens to people who choose gods other than the Lord you described above,

Nothing really. They may face a slightly different afterlife depending on which God/god they choose for salvation or the lack thereof, a different experience, though.

I should probably make it clear now I identify with Hinduism.

12. what form do the demons take today and how are they followed or worshipped or harming people today and

They're kind of like ghosts but worse and no longer human at all or never were.

By finding the path that works for us.

I don't know. But letting go of attachments probably helps.

20. who is Jesus,

An enlightened spiritual teacher, possibly a god of sorts, who could perform miracles.

To teach about salvation.

I'd say yes. For some it is.

26. is Jesus the Lord or God and is the Lord God and are there any other Lords or Gods that are real or actual or powerful at all,

I think the Lord God is just one of many gods.

30. do you sense the presence of demons or demonic possession on this website or among any of its members (and what indicates such?),

I often sense demonic presence from people with a lot of anger, but it isn't so clear cut that it comes from a particular faith necessarily - not even necessarily theistic Satanists.

31. how can we personally defeat demons or destroy their works and protect ourselves,

By focusing on finding our own light in our spiritual path.

Critical thinkers who see spiritual experiences as mental illness.

34. what are your personal feelings and views regarding each of the other religions or major religions each and with special or extensive commentary on,

I'll give it a go.

35. Allah and Islam,

A very interesting religion and one I respect and I also feel friendly connection with a member of it, Amanaki. I think. So it'd be against my best interests to give it strong scrutiny. Especially with American policies being so bad for it.

Jewish people are okay and I respect the religion. I haven't made good friends with too many in it but that's a different subject entirely.

I feel a strong connection there.

I do need to study them more as I'm very interested. Just not in the sense of coverting to it.

It depends on the particular one in question.

Contrary to popular belief, I see the New Age as a very very benevolent, right hand path religion, as misunderstood as Amanaki's faith.

It's just another path to enlightenment

They're mostly cool people and I'm pretty confident none of them will go to a tortured afterlife over their beliefs.

I haven't decided.

Both good subjects!

45. Wealth Accumulation and Self-Care or Showing Off type things like getting really fit or dedicating oneself to achievements or status or prestige or fame,

They all sound like healthy endeavors maybe.

46. who do you think are spiritually the best or most likely to achieve good in this life and the afterlife in your opinion among people you know and on here,

People who dedicate their life to their personal spiritual path.

47. who do you think are spiritually the worst or most likely to achieve bad in this life and the afterlife in your opinion among people you've heard of or here,
(These would give me examples to try to understand right from wrong according to your understanding of things or your reading of the scripture),

People who hurt others on purpose.

48. what is your personal story with religion and how you became this way and what have the pros and honestly the cons been in how you've developed,

I started out atheist but felt guilty because my family was Christian and tried the Abrahamic faiths several times before finding the one I'm at now.

53. what are some things you question or give you pause in the scripture and what are some unsolved mysteries and puzzles in it that disturb you still if any,

The book of Revelation if interpreted certain ways can be used against Catholicism.

55. is Amanaki's recent interest and practice in Islam headed in the wrong direction in your opinion and is he demonically influenced or harming himself,

I think he's doing what he needs to do and probably has Allah's blessing.

61. if all humanity were to be what you consider the most perfect and ideal, how do you think things would look or be and what wouldn't be present or here,

In a perfect world, not this one... one government one world unity might be a cool thing. Just with multiple choices for religions.

62. and finally, do lots of questions make you suspicious of my intentions or irritated or do you actually enjoy the opportunity to share all your thoughts?

I enjoy it.

63. What is Faith?

Trying to find religious truth using hope

64. What is Religion?

An understanding of the written teachings of a certain faith.

Hinduism but saying this reveals my personal bias. So I won't go further with the description realizing that.

66. What is the Most Wrong and Worst Religion or Practice or Belief System or Thought and Why?

Not sure.

69. How far do you believe the turning the other cheek, giving in to your enemies, cutting off your own hand or foot or gouging out your eye thing should go?

Not very far.

Kenny

Premium Member
9. what is the form/appearance/activities of the Devil and of the demons,

The Devil, as a deceiver, it is said that he can come as an angel of light.

2 Cor 11:14 AMPC And it is no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light;

He is always trying to imitate God as he wanted to sit on God's throne and be God. (Isaiah 14:13-14) He hates everything that God loves. It is the primary reason he hates mankind since they are made in God's image and likeness. It is the very reason that he hates marriage in as much as the man represents Jesus and the wife represent The Church - The Body of Christ.

The Bible isn't a compendium about all subjects. It is really just about God's attempt to reach and save mankind with a sprinkling about the future.

That being said, there is nothing much about where demons come from or what they look like. But there is enough there to know how they can manifest.

Some say they came from the time when Satan (also understood and likened as Lucifer) had worship sanctuaries in the earth. A pre-Adamic race which I tend to believe but there is no definitive statement in the Bible as to where they came from. (Maybe that is where we get the bones of humanoid being that are millenniums old?). Some say they may be fallen angels. Maybe just another spiritual being that had been created.

Because there is no description in the Bible, we are relegated to possibilities. Some have said they can be monkey like and other forms, ugly, and hideous. These description come from those that God opened their spiritual eyes so that they could see things beyond the natural.

But we do have record of what they can do depending on their influence. Demonology suggest that there are different levels... depression, oppression and possession - that can be attributed to demons.

CAUTION - The danger comes when we ALWAYS attribute a problem to a demon when in could be just natural causes.

The manifestations, as per the Bible, is that they can cause deafness, muteness, blindness, supernatural strength, epilepsy, sickness and even causing people to want to kill themselves. I understand, as taught by others, uncontrollable cursing and barking like a dog is another manifestation.

(My sister in law use to hear a voice every time she crossed a certain bridge saying "JUMP AND KILL YOURSELF". My niece would be visited by a demon while she slept. She would wake up and would chain smoke the rest of the night.

13. how did they do so in the past in comparison,

They haven't changed. In my view, we have just learned to control the bodies of them that are influenced or control by demons with drugs and put them in mental institutions (Not everyone in the mental institution is there because of demoniac influences)

Side note:

Last edited:
I am continuing to read this thread as well as others that have to do with my questions. Please don't stop! I understand you all may be busy, but take your time with my questions and I am enjoying reading the responses a lot!

So, do you think its good enough if a person just says "God" and "God is my savior" but rejects the notion that Jesus is God or doesn't mean that Jesus is God the Savior but rather that the invisible non-embodied God is the Savior?

It seems, pretty much the only point separating Muslims and Christians might be their ideas of God and the inability or restriction or fear put into Muslims about calling any man or man-form God, and furthermore considering anyone or anything a savior or intercessor but God alone really, which is pounded into the Muslim mind repeatedly if one reads the Qur'an.

It seems that in order to be a Christian too, one has to say that Jesus is God and that Jesus is a man, who is God incarnate, who was born and lived on Earth, and was killed or died really, and then God after dying also came back to life, all of which can only be trusted by what people have said as no one alive apparently is a witness to this nor could this be verified as the case even if they were witnesses to it.

What also puzzles me is, why can't Muslims accept God is a man, and how do Christians accept so readily that a man was/is God incarnate and all the other things? Are each of us simply brainwashed? Is one closer to being more reasonable or logical than the other? Does logic and reason even matter at all?

Why is it a crime that will supposedly be punished with some sort of separation from God or hellfire or something, that a person should believe in and worship an all-powerful universal God but deny that God was a particular man who was executed?

How do you guys feel about me answering some of these questions myself? I'll create my own thread so as not to get in the way, and will tweak the questions as needed.

@KenS @The Artis Magistra ?

Yeah, if Ken doesn't mind (I kind of consider this my thread too), I like threads that are a sort of one stop shop so I don't have to travel out to other threads or keep them all opened or bookmarked which becomes difficult for me to keep checking on everything. So if you and anyone else, all people, can write answers to my questions here or even feel free to alter the questions to make them such that you can answer them from your perspective, that will be fine by me, I love reading it!

I'm also keeping alert for Ken's continuing (and very enjoyable and well written) responses as he finds time to write them out for each question and other things stated in this thread.

I have another thread which I made about Bahai religion, and one that is more for everyone at all about "Tastes and Preferences" but all three of these threads feature me asking lots of questions meant to get people (anyone, even non-religious people) to think about themselves, their true feelings, to really face the mirror in an harsh light and authentic way, and finally get the truth out there and get down to why they believe what they believe is right and true and best, and even to look at it so deeply that they might even feel stronger in it or possibly even shaken by their doubts or facing things.

Whatever happens, I think it is likely good, and more towards the truth.

There seems to be a difference sometimes between what people want to present, and what they really are or really think, and sometimes the one gets covered up so much by what they want to present that they lose touch of everything else, even their genuine feelings and sort of become a character all based on habitual presentation.

So my intention and hope in all these threads is to entice and coax out of people their authentic self, their truth, and even the details of how it works for them and came to be in the first place as far as they think or can guess or provide their histories about it all.

Authenticity I think will lead everyone to a much better place and towards becoming both "Holier" and "Whole-ier" overall.

1. Who is the Lord,

The Lord appears to be an Abrahamic deity which I might believe exists. Where I disagree is whether he is one of many gods, which I do think he is.

There are many Hindu gods and I'll start by mentioning Krishna and the Trimurti.

That sounds like a personal spiritual thing especially with the Abrahamic God not preferring showy prayers.

4. who is the Devil,

Seems to be a madeup character in Christian theology. Perhaps representing our lower self as seen by the Abrahamic God.

I don't know. He seems to like to corrupt kingdoms and rulers.

Demons seem to be the most evil of spirits, spirits which come from a very low plane.

Nothing really. They may face a slightly different afterlife depending on which God/god they choose for salvation or the lack thereof, a different experience, though.

I should probably make it clear now I identify with Hinduism.

They're kind of like ghosts but worse and no longer human at all or never were.

By finding the path that works for us.

I don't know. But letting go of attachments probably helps.

20. who is Jesus,

An enlightened spiritual teacher, possibly a god of sorts, who could perform miracles.

To teach about salvation.

I'd say yes. For some it is.

I think the Lord God is just one of many gods.

I often sense demonic presence from people with a lot of anger, but it isn't so clear cut that it comes from a particular faith necessarily - not even necessarily theistic Satanists.

By focusing on finding our own light in our spiritual path.

Critical thinkers who see spiritual experiences as mental illness.

I'll give it a go.

35. Allah and Islam,

A very interesting religion and one I respect and I also feel friendly connection with a member of it, Amanaki. I think. So it'd be against my best interests to give it strong scrutiny. Especially with American policies being so bad for it.

Jewish people are okay and I respect the religion. I haven't made good friends with too many in it but that's a different subject entirely.

I feel a strong connection there.

I do need to study them more as I'm very interested. Just not in the sense of coverting to it.

It depends on the particular one in question.

Contrary to popular belief, I see the New Age as a very very benevolent, right hand path religion, as misunderstood as Amanaki's faith.

It's just another path to enlightenment

They're mostly cool people and I'm pretty confident none of them will go to a tortured afterlife over their beliefs.

I haven't decided.

Both good subjects!

They all sound like healthy endeavors maybe.

People who dedicate their life to their personal spiritual path.

People who hurt others on purpose.

I started out atheist but felt guilty because my family was Christian and tried the Abrahamic faiths several times before finding the one I'm at now.

The book of Revelation if interpreted certain ways can be used against Catholicism.

I think he's doing what he needs to do and probably has Allah's blessing.

In a perfect world, not this one... one government one world unity might be a cool thing. Just with multiple choices for religions.

I enjoy it.

63. What is Faith?

Trying to find religious truth using hope

64. What is Religion?

An understanding of the written teachings of a certain faith.

Hinduism but saying this reveals my personal bias. So I won't go further with the description realizing that.

Not sure.

Not very far.

I'm all about bias, if you don't want to defend Hinduism here (which I consider my religion as well, besides others, as I don't think they contradict others but are all compatible as one or can be), you can do so in my "Tastes" thread which is designed for getting people to talk about how they came to be attracted to certain things and all about how they practice them, all about you and yours!

Tastes and Preferences: Curious about why you choose what you choose!

Feel free to chime in on the Bahai thread as well, the one I made, since over there basically the Bahai are stating that Baha'u'llah is basically the new Jesus, and God's Manifestation even, which is like an Avatara too, so like, it applies to Christians and Hindus so my questions there can also be answered and the Bahai people can be engaged with too as well as the others. Free for all!

Questions for knowledgeable Bahai / followers of Baha'u'llah

I would absolutely not mind (and actually love to see) great responses from Ken and KAT-KAT there (if possible), since it will bring an interesting perspective as to why not only do Muslims disbelieve in Baha'u'llah's claims, but also Hindus don't care about them, and Christians don't accept them either, even though Baha'u'llah lays claim to all of that, but calling himself God's Manifestation, and basically the new Jesus and Muhammed as well.

When you said that God does not destroy the soul:
"
The one who destroy the soul is not God... he was referencing the Devil.
"
, but instead that the Devil does this, do you interpret this verse (which I thought was understood as a reference to God), asking people to fear the Devil?

Luke 12:4-5
"4I tell you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear the One who, after you have been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear Him! "

Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Hebrews 10:31
It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

1 Thessalonians 4:6
That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.

Matthew 5:22
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be subject to the fire of hell.

I thought it was God who was supposed to be feared, so that when it is talking about the Judge who determines who is thrown into Hell or can destroy souls even after killing people, it is God being spoken of.

Ecclesiastes 8:13
Yet because the wicked do not fear God, it will not go well with them, and their days will not lengthen like a shadow.

Ecclesiastes 12:13
When all has been heard, the conclusion of the matter is this: Fear God and keep His commandments, because this is the whole duty of man.

Deuteronomy 32:39
'See now that I, I am He, And there is no god besides Me; It is I who put to death and give life. I have wounded and it is I who heal, And there is no one who can deliver from My hand.

Exodus 15:26
saying, "If you will listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God, and do what is right in His eyes, and pay attention to His commands, and keep all His statutes, then I will not bring on you any of the diseases I inflicted on the Egyptians. For I am the LORD who heals you."

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Lamentations 3:38
Do not both adversity and good come from the mouth of the Most High?

2 Chronicles 18:22
“So you see, the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of your prophets. For the LORD has pronounced your doom.”

1 Kings 22:23
Now therefore behold, the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these your prophets; the LORD has declared disaster for you.”

So, I thought maybe it was consistent, with God being the one to fear, who casts people into hell or disaster, who also kills people, wounds them.

Kenny

Premium Member
I'm also keeping alert for Ken's continuing (and very enjoyable and well written) responses as he finds time to write them out for each question and other things stated in this thread.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if I should keep on answering as I didn't know if the interest was still there. As long as there is interest, I would be happy to continue. :)

You actually spur me to dig deeder

Kenny

Premium Member
"
"
, but instead that the Devil does this, do you interpret this verse (which I thought was understood as a reference to God), asking people to fear the Devil?

"4I tell you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear the One who, after you have been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear Him! "

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.

But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be subject to the fire of hell.

I thought it was God who was supposed to be feared, so that when it is talking about the Judge who determines who is thrown into Hell or can destroy souls even after killing people, it is God being spoken of.

Ecclesiastes 8:13
Yet because the wicked do not fear God, it will not go well with them, and their days will not lengthen like a shadow.

Ecclesiastes 12:13
When all has been heard, the conclusion of the matter is this: Fear God and keep His commandments, because this is the whole duty of man.

Deuteronomy 32:39
'See now that I, I am He, And there is no god besides Me; It is I who put to death and give life. I have wounded and it is I who heal, And there is no one who can deliver from My hand.

saying, "If you will listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God, and do what is right in His eyes, and pay attention to His commands, and keep all His statutes, then I will not bring on you any of the diseases I inflicted on the Egyptians. For I am the LORD who heals you."

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

“So you see, the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of your prophets. For the LORD has pronounced your doom.”

Now therefore behold, the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these your prophets; the LORD has declared disaster for you.”

So, I thought maybe it was consistent, with God being the one to fear, who casts people into hell or disaster, who also kills people, wounds them.

Interesting points... don't want to just respond... let me study this a little further.

Kenny

Premium Member
19. what benefit is choosing the Lord (what do I get out of it, how do I know, and what if anything do you think the Lord gets out of it?),
20. who is Jesus,
24. could Jesus have failed, could the Lord or God fail or be defeated or overcome,

21. what was the role and duty or job of Jesus, (if not clear... would be happy to expound)

Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
1 John 3:8 ... For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
John 4:34... Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
Luke 9:56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

I am sure that there are other reasons.

But in a nutshell...

God had given mankind the keys of this world (authority). Adam and Eve handed it over to Satan. Jesus (also having the title of the Second Adam) - came to get the authority back to return it to mankind. This spiritual battle had to enacted on the same grounds as the first Adam. Fully man and perfect but tempted even as Adam and Ever were tempted. But beyond that to take sin of mankind and the consequences thereof (death or separation of the life of God) and give full payment to redeem (take out of the pawn shop - plus interest) and satisfy justice and judgment.

The angels could not do it for they were created below mankind was not solvent enough to take the debt of mankind. A singular man could not do it because he couldn't even balance the weights of his own life let alone the lives of others. Only one entity was solvent enough to take on the debt of mankind and still be solvent... God.

Jesus took the keys of authority:

Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Col 2: 14 Having cancelled and blotted out and wiped away the handwriting of the note (bond) with its legal decrees and demands which was in force and stood against us (hostile to us). This [note with its regulations, decrees, and demands] He set aside and cleared completely out of our way by nailing it to [His] cross.15 [God] disarmed the principalities and powers that were ranged against us and made a bold display and public example of them, in triumphing over them in Him and in it [the cross]. AMPC

Phil 2: 10 That in (at) the name of Jesus every knee should (must) bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,11 And every tongue [frankly and openly] confess and acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. AMPC

And gave the authority back to man.

Matt 28: 18 Jesus approached and, breaking the silence, said to them, All authority (all power of rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. 19 Go then and make disciples of all the nations, (giving it back to mankind)

Matthew 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind (declare to be improper and unlawful) on earth must be what is already bound in heaven; and whatever you loose (declare lawful) on earth must be what is already loosed in heaven.

20. who is Jesus,

This is always a hot topic. I will give you the "vast majority" version in as much as there are differing views among the smaller groups. Whether God cares or not, I do not know.

There is also a confusion that accentuates the problem as there are three season of Jesus which are different from each other. The confusion comes about when you try to understand the person of Jesus in the second season without taking into account the first season. Like trying understand an adult viewing him/her through the eyes of looking at him/her while still a baby.

1. First season... pre-Jesus better known as The Word
  2. Second season... as he became fully man - the approximately 33 years on this earth
  3. Third season... as a glorified Jesus with all authority as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

There are many analogies of God being just one God yet having 3 manifestations. Whether and egg (shell, yolk and white) or man made in God's image (spirit, soul and body) - with each part of man being separate and distinct in materiality and purpose and yet still just one man.

1st season
Pre-Jesus was that part of God that was The Word.

John 1:1 In the beginning [before all time] was the Word (Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself.
Phil 2: 6 Who, although being essentially one with God and in the form of God [possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God], did not think this equality with God was a thing to be eagerly grasped or retained,
2 Peter 1:1 Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ.
Colossians 1:16 For it was in Him that all things were created, in heaven and on earth, things seen and things unseen, whether thrones, dominions, rulers, or authorities; all things were created and exist through Him [by His service, intervention] and in and for Him.

(there are more, of course)

2nd season

The Word became man and lived as a man:

John 1:14 And the Word (Christ) became flesh (human, incarnate) and tabernacled (fixed His tent of flesh, lived awhile) among us; and we [actually] saw His glory (His honor, His majesty), such glory as an only begotten son receives from his father, full of grace (favor, loving-kindness) and truth.

Phil 2: 6b did not think this equality with God was a thing to be eagerly grasped or retained,7 But stripped Himself [of all privileges and rightful dignity], so as to assume the guise of a servant (slave), in that He became like men and was born a human being.8 And after He had appeared in human form, He abased and humbled Himself [still further] and carried His obedience to the extreme of death, even the death of the cross!

1 John 1:1 [We are writing] about the Word of Life [in] Him Who existed from the beginning, Whom we have heard, Whom we have seen with our [own] eyes, Whom we have gazed upon [for ourselves] and have touched with our [own] hands.

third season

Now, fully man and fully God has every covenant right to rule over all,King of Kings and Lord of Lords...

John 17: 5 And now, Father, glorify Me along with Yourself and restore Me to such majesty and honor in Your presence as I had with You before the world existed.

Luke 22:69 But hereafter (from this time on), the Son of Man shall be seated at the right hand of the power of God.

Isaiah 44:6 Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. Revelation 1:17-18 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

Ephesians 1:20 Which He exerted in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His [own] right hand in the heavenly [places],21 Far above all rule and authority and power and dominion and every name that is named [above every title that can be conferred], not only in this age and in this world, but also in the age and the world which are to come. 22 And He has put all things under His feet and has appointed Him the universal and supreme Head of the church [a headship exercised throughout the church],

LOL... that's a Theological question that you could put two debates teams on - one saying yes and the other no.

Be that as it may... As human, Jesus did have the potential to fail and thus be defeated and overcome. There is no such thing as a temptation when there is no temptation power. No one can tempt me to buy my car... because it is already mine.

In that Jesus was tempted, then there was a potential of failure.

Three times Jesus said "I really don't want to go to the cross BUT not my will but your will be done"

So I say "Yes he could have" But this could be a VERY LOOOOOONG debate :)

Not in the context of Jesus is the Lord and God. There are gods (even we can make ourselves gods unto ourselves). Satan is call the god of this world (but not in the measure and position of Lord and God). Certainly Sarah called Abraham "Lord" - but not in the context of who Jesus is.

Yes...

John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Hebrews 1:6 And when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says, “And let all the angels of God worship Him.”
Matt 14: 33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Revelation 5: 5:11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels in a circle around the throne, as well as the living creatures and the elders. Their number was ten thousand times ten thousand – thousands times thousands – 5:12 all of whom were singing in a loud voice: “Worthy is the lamb who was killed to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and praise!”5:13 Then I heard every creature – in heaven, on earth, under the earth, in the sea, and all that is in them – singing: “To the one seated on the throne and to the Lamb be praise, honor, glory, and ruling power forever and ever!”5:14 And the four living creatures were saying “Amen,” and the elders threw themselves to the ground and worshiped. NET

Thank you. I wasn't sure if I should keep on answering as I didn't know if the interest was still there. As long as there is interest, I would be happy to continue. :)

You actually spur me to dig deeder
I'm absolutely interested and also I like very much that you especially (as well as me and other readers, but especially you) get a chance to thoroughly go over these ideas in detail, which aren't always focused on or studied, explored, and justified in depth, they are often instead just sort of glossed over and quickly accepted or rejected based on whatever but not usually just laid out thoroughly as to how one establishes it in their own understanding and even gets a chance to review why we think what we do and all that, its well worth it, even if I wasn't reading it, but I really am and I have enjoyed every single response you have made and really hope you continue as well!

Kenny

Premium Member
"
"

You are absolutely correct.

Here I would disagree most of the times.

Some because of the insight of the New Testament, some because of permissive will and not causative will, some because interpretation during translation, and some because of modern day thought vs the thought of the day..

Could you explain to me or elaborate on what the different types of will are, what scriptures might identify their existence or besides scripture also how we can know such really exists, and how they operate or seem to operate, and God's involvement as well as accountability or responsibility, even Guilt in a causative chain? Like, if you were the one who is considered to drop the first domino which hits all the other dominos, are you not culpable?

Kenny

Premium Member
IMV, this is a subject that you can't necessarily put them all in a nice little box or a couple of boxes. There are so many variables and situations. Again, I am approaching this on a Biblical foundation since it is the paradigm for my world view.

Could you explain to me or elaborate on what the different types of will are, what scriptures might identify their existence or besides scripture also how we can know such really exists, and how they operate or seem to operate,

Trying to synthesize such a complex issue, I would probably break it down to (there are probably more or it probably can be expressed better that I can express it.):

1) Man's will and choices
2) God's permissive will
3) God's will

1) Man's will.

There are 62 references to the word "choose" and some of them refer to the capacity for one to choose such as:

Exodus 17:9 And Moses said unto Joshua, Choose us out men, and go out, fight with Amalek: to morrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in mine hand.
Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:\
Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

It seems logical that if one can "choose", a will must be involved.

The will of man can actually stop God's His power and His desires:

Jesus had the capacity to do miracles but the will of man stopped it. Matt 13:57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house. 58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

Much the same as when the first group of Israelites could not go into the promised land because only Joshua and Caleb chose to believe God at His word. Because Joshua and Caleb chose to believe, they entered in.

It would appear as a direct consequence of man's choices. (Many scriptures offer that perspective)

2) God's permissive will

There are some things that God enjoys people making their own decision and he will bless no matter what you decide.

Logically, what color clothes you will wear today. What kind of career you would like to follow. Abraham gave that choice to Lot knowing that wherever Lot went didn't change that God would bless Abraham in the direction was left.

Genesis 13:9 Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the righthand, then I will go to the left.

3) God's will

There are some things that are unalterable. Though people may make personal choices, the end has already determined. Personal choice may change things temporarily but God's declarative will won't be stopped.

2 Kings 22: 18 But to the king of Judah which sent you to enquire of the Lord, thus shall ye say to him, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, As touching the words which thou hast heard;19 Because thine heart was tender, and thou hast humbled thyself before the Lord, when thou heardest what I spake against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and hast rent thy clothes, and wept before me; I also have heard thee, saith the Lord.20 Behold therefore, I will gather thee unto thy fathers, and thou shalt be gathered into thy grave in peace; and thine eyes shall not see all the evil which I will bring upon this place. And they brought the king word again.

King Josiah found "The Book" - the Torah and realized why it was that Israel was in such a plight. They had violated every law in the book (so to speak) and destruction had been declared because of the choices Israel had made.

However, Josiah repented.and it touched God's heart. The inevitable was postponed but God's declaration of what would come to pass was not altered. Just the timeframe.

and God's involvement as well as accountability or responsibility, even Guilt in a causative chain? Like, if you were the one who is considered to drop the first domino which hits all the other dominos, are you not culpable?

This is a difficult one and there are so many variables, I obviously cannot think of them all.

Yes and no. (Just depends???) But God is the ultimate judge. IMV, yes, thee is responsibility and accountability... but if were not for mercy... we all would be culpable.

Yes, there are some cases where you are culpable as the first domino.

Romans 2: 23 Even though you boast in the law, you dishonor God, the Lawgiver, when you break it! 24 For your actions seem to fulfill what is written: 24 “God’s precious name is cursed among the nations because of you.”

So there is some responsibility for causing others to stumble.

However, I think we can end up with a victim mentality and then use the excuse that it is the other person's fault to excuse personal responsibility. Adam blaming his wife. Eve blaming the Serpent.

But like the domino example you gave, one domino can still decide not to fall and prevents the rest of the dominoes from falling. The reality is that one can say "NOPE" no matter what the other person does. A good King was the son of a bad King. The son chose not to follow the father.

Then you can factor Jesus and the Cross into the equation and the culpability of ones actions is erased.

Saul persecuted the church and authored the killing and destruction of many. When he accepted the Lordship of Jesus, God changed his name to Paul. His culpability was erased. He later said "I have done wrong to no man".

Kenny

Premium Member
11. how do we know we are dealing with the Lord and not some imposter or that it is right,

There are two methods and both work together.

Using the Word of God

Psalm 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Think of this as a person who is laying a line for placing tile on the floor or a plumb-line to see if the wall is straight. The most simple of ways is to learn the word of God. It is the instruction manual that can tell you if you are wrong or right.

So, if an angel came and says, "Frank is a rich man and you are not! He should share his money with you. I think you should force him to give you some" - I can go to the word of God and find:

Exodus 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

By knowing the word of God, you can discern what is not "the Lord". When I received the salespersons money in Venezuela, I had studied the paper of the currency and when a fake one came through, by knowing "the truth" of the paper, you can know which one is a lie.

The Holy Spirit

John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

The Holy Spirit will help you. When a person was sharing with me and seemed to be saying all the right things... but something just didn't seem right... eventually I realized he was a new-ager. The Holy Spirit knows when it is something beyond simple scripture.