• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Articles of Religion

Antiochian

Rationalist
I've been considering becoming Anglican for some time. My spiritual journey is too long and complicated to get into here, but suffice it to say I've been away from Christian life for a long time, and I like what I see in Anglicanism, so am going to mass and checking it out.

I've read the catechism and Articles in the BCP.

Are these articles of religion to be treated as a sort of creed that must be believed point by point? I'm guessing not considering the diversity within TEC.

For instance, a couple of the articles on free will and predestination make the Anglican Communion seem Calvinistic, and I'm quite anti-Calvinist. There are a few others I question, such as salvation by faith alone (sola fide)--coming from an Orthodox background, I absolutely believe our deeds play some role in our salvation as well.

Then there's the strange article "Of the Church," which lists churches fallen into error, such as Rome, Antioch, Alexandria, and Jerusalem. Jerusalem?? What the heck? (I'm guessing monophysitism was why the two A's were listed.)

Anyhow, yes, I disagree with a number of these, and am assuming that won't bar me from membership, should I decide to join someday (after all, TEC isn't a confessional church.)