• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Arrogance of Both Science and Religion

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Then why were you denying that there were multiple versions?

Nothing historical supports this concept that only Irenaeus and his sect had the truth. First the Gnostics rejected the concept that the apostles were even legitimate.
Also Irenaeus letters show he was engaged in a power struggle and wanted only the bloodline to be able to teach, read and interpret scripture. The Gnostics denied Irenaeus ideas just the same as he did to them.
You should read Pagels book on these matters if you want a historical perspective rather than a apologetics version.

Also this was later, the period where people would know the truth is silent:

"Because the very period in which the historical Jesus was invented, the 70s to 120s A.D., is when we should hear people challenging that invention. But we are not allowed to hear what anyone said in that period. All criticism of Christianity in that half century was erased from history. Even all debate among Christians in that half century was erased from history. Which is suspicious. But even suspicion aside, we still can’t argue from the silence of documents we don’t have. We don’t know what the critics of a newly minted historical Jesus were saying in that whole human lifetime of Christian history. So we cannot say “there was never any debate” about it. Any debate there had been, was deleted."
PhD Carrier

"For nearly 2,000 years, orthodox Christians have accepted the view that the apostles alone
held definitive religious authority, and that their only legitimate heirs are priests and bishops, who trace their ordination back to that same apostolic succession. Even today the pope traces his—and the
primacy he claims over the rest—to Peter himself, "first of the apostles," since he was "first witness of the resurrection.
But the gnostic Christians rejected Luke's theory. Some gnostics called the literal view of resurrection the "faith of fools." The resurrection, they insisted, was not a unique event in the past:
instead, it symbolized how Christ's presence could be experienced in the present. What mattered was not literal seeing, but spiritual vision."

I don't care how you view scholarship, I'm just pointing out things you seem unaware. You can take emperical evidence and do what you will with it. People don't generally change their minds over facts when it comes to personal beliefs. They have to have an out, a realization that they were misled and it's not their fault. This is from papers of beliefs.

I don't know about the people you argue with but I've put forth all PhD scholarship to back my claims.

I

So you are backpeddling on this also? You called this "speculative" now your are "aware"??

I don't know what history says about the Jews and Egypt, how is this relevant? We know Moses and the patriarchs are myths, Exodus has zero evidence but we do know Jews were invaded many times, once by the Persians who's Zorostrian beliefs (General afterlife concepts, God vs Satan, world ends in fire, resurrection for all people in the cult, savior deities and so on) then began being written into the OT.

Wiki says:

"
Modern archaeology has largely discarded the historicity of this narrative,(Exodus) with it being reframed as constituting the Israelites' inspiring national myth narrative. The Israelites and their culture, according to the modern archaeological account, did not overtake the region by force, but instead branched out of the Canaanite peoples and culture through the development of a distinct monolatristic—and later monotheistic—religion centered on Yahweh. The growth of Yahweh-centric belief, along with a number of cultic practices, gradually gave rise to a distinct Israelite ethnic group, setting them apart from other Canaanites.[80][81][82]

The Israelites become visible in the historical record as a people between 1200 and 1000 BCE.[83] It is not certain if a period like that of the Biblical judges occurred[84][85][86][87][88] nor if there was ever a United Monarchy.[89][90][91][92] There is well accepted archeological evidence referring to "Israel" in the Merneptah Stele, which dates to about 1200 BCE,[23][24] and the Canaanites are archeologically attested in the Middle Bronze Age.[93][94] There is debate about the earliest existence of the Kingdoms of Israel and Judah and their extent and power, but historians agree that a Kingdom of Israel existed by ca. 900 BCE[90]:169–195[91][92] and that a Kingdom of Judah existed by ca. 700 BCE.[95] It is widely accepted that the Kingdom of Israel was destroyed around 720 BCE, when it was conquered by the Neo-Assyrian Empire"

If the myths have Jews as slaves in Egypt it's possible written because they were slaves in Egypt?
What does the uh...history books say?

There is some weird disconnect here where it's as if you can't just look at actual history and will only consider mythic stories as a source for historical beliefs. You also seem baffled at how others would not take this approach?
Why are you asking about affirmation or a denial regarding Jewish slaves in Egypt as if I'm some anti-semetic conspiracy theory history nut?
What history says, I believe that. How hard is that to comprehend. Not hard, one would think?
Why do you keep underhandedly trying to accuse me of denying Jewish slave history?
What freaking history books say, I believe that. Myths and campfire stories, not as much. For every subject. Can you understand this? I thought we were done with your reverse racist approach, not so much.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, archeology doesn't support most of the OT narratives.
Which we already covered:
Archeology of the Hebrew Bible

so why the heck would I use them as history????? If history is unsure what happened at a particular time then I'm unsure. Is it possible, of course.

Huh? I said the councils affirmed truth in the face of heresy. There were multiple versions of doctrines, but nearly every NT verse has over 99.9% majority readings in NT fragments, so that's clear.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The biblical historicity field is in consensus that Christianity is a mythology same as all religions.
Each different PhD has a specialty, Marc Goodacre is the Q gospel expert, R Purvoe is the Acts guy, Pagels is the Gnostic gospels, Carrier has done the only Jesus historicity study since 1926, the list goes on and on. No PhD historian thinks the story is anything but a man who was later mythicized into a demi-god.

Where they disagree is weather Jesus was a man or complete myth. That is irrelevant to this.

It's summed up nicely on Wiki:
"The historical reliability of the gospels refers to the reliability and historic character of the four New Testament gospels as historical documents. Little in the four canonical gospels is considered to be historically reliable."

I don't know why a PhD teaching at a seminary matters about the truth of a supernatural claim?
Bart Ehrman got his PhD at Princeton Theological Seminary. Like the rest of his field, he believes Jesus was a man who was later mythicized into a god. So?

Will you keep repeating this ad infinitum? "The biblical historicity field is in consensus that Christianity is a mythology same as all religions."

No kidding! I knew that BEFORE I BEGAN my religion/NT degree at a secular school.

Your appeal to authority isn't swaying me from Bible truth.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
It's an example of how apologetics gets around miracles not happening. By saying you think money miracles happen, if they then were shown not to, it's probably what you would lean on.

Exactly. Nothing "godly" about it. Just good advice that tends to work. Not God, good. Not prose, poetry.

I didn't say you said "bothering" Indians. I said it. Vedic texts are the spiritual language of humans, anything good in the Bible is in Hindism plus much more. Telling these poor people that they are "sinners" and they must worship this demi-god to get to heaven (Persian concept), that they are being judged and will go to hell possibly, that is bothering them to put it extremely mildly. Substituting Hindism for a mystery religion is so archaic.
They are not an evangelical people so they may be guillable to the practice. But who cares, why bring this up? Do you think it means Christianity is true because Indians convert? Seems you actually are entering this as an argument. Here is some confirmation bias from you by thinking along those lines.

What you are failing to take into account in this India situation is:
10 year period -2011 Christianity increases 15%
AND
Islam - 24%
Sikhism , Buudhism, Janism - about 7% each but still millions

these other religions (which to you are false) combined have converted more people. So we know Indians will convert to false religions.
So no, there is nothing special about the Christian experience because even more people have converted to religions we both know are false.

See how you confirmationed this partial fact into some Christian god-magic? You say you like facts but you are unaware that when you find a fact that seems to support your beliefs you stop right there and call it a hit.

I'm not trying to steer Christians away from orthodox doctrine, I'm just passing along information backed up by empirical evidence. People do what they will. Some people leave organized religion and move right to "source energy" and the law of attraction" wu-wu. Each persons choice is their own, I do not care.
Actually the Atheist Experience youtube show has had many many converts from people who didn't realize they were believing not true things. Callers usually debate at first but often call back and eventually realize it's all unfounded beliefs.
So that seems to be happening often on their show. But like the host Matt says, the information isn't for the fundamentalist, it's for people on the fence or people with an open mind who actually want to examine the evidence and see what it says.

I didn't say "more Christians than Muslims proves X", I said there is an amazing conversion rate among Hindus when Christians perform miracles in India! Wake up.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Exactly what false promises and claims are coming out of science?

Don't the science admirers say the science will solve all problems of the humanity? Will it stop the nuclear war if any two of the world nuclear countries go to war?

Regards

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't the science admirers say the science will solve all problems of the humanity? Will it stop the nuclear war if any two of the world nuclear countries go to war?

Who has *ever* made that claim? Humanity seems to be able to ignore truth and wisdom and do whatever it wants. All science can do is provide the knowledge on *how* to do things. It gives us the *ability* to feed people, to communicate with others, etc. But we still have to decide to do it. We still need the political will to do what needs to be done.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Science provides the knowledge to do things. It doesn't, however, give the wisdom on what to do.
Then why make so much arsenal ,including nuclear and chemical, in the world, if there is no sure way to control it. If science cannot control as it is dumb, the the scientists do it. It is their ethical and moral duty. Right, please?

Regards

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Then why make so much arsenal ,including nuclear and chemical, in the world, if there is no sure way to control it. If science cannot control as it is dumb, the the scientists do it. It is their ethical and moral duty. Right, please?

Regards

Talk to the military and politicians. Knowledge on how to do some good things always means we also have knowledge on how to do some bad things.

Once again, part of the problem is that it is politicians that get to decide, not the scientists.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

The truthful Religion is very reasonable and humble, please. It deals equitably with believers and non-believers.

Regards

gnostic

The Lost One

The truthful Religion is very reasonable and humble, please. It deals equitably with believers and non-believers.

From the founders to the present, the two largest Abrahamic religions, Christianity and Islam, history have shown they haven’t been humble.

At least, with the start of Christianity, there were no political and military powers during the 1st century CE. Christianity didn’t acquire political and military powers, until Constantine changed their situation. Then the persecuted became the persecutors.

With the beginning of Islam, Muhammad became very political, and very belligerent the moment he migrated to Medina, in 622. With increasing political power, came military power, to start military conflict, and by the time he returned to Mecca, he had strong army. Eventually all of the Arabian Peninsula was forced to convert, because he had the army to intimidate any opposition.

Islam was never a peaceful religion.

After all this, Christianity and Islam have continued to fight among themselves as much as with outsiders.

I don’t think either religions as humble.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Skwim said:
Yup, what does it have to do with my question, "who in science is promising paradise?"
paarsurrey said:
But the hell of nuclear war is looming. Isn't it, please?
Obviously you still can't answer my question. Should I take this as a sign of things to come in future discussions/debates?

But didn't Science create hell for the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, please?

Regards

Skwim

Veteran Member
But didn't Science create hell for the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, please?
Thankfully, yes.

"While the death toll from the atomic bombs was high, Hiroshima 80,000 and Nagasaki 40,000, they were not extreme in WWII. For example, the March 9-10, 1945 bombing raid on Tokyo took about 100,000 lives, the raids on Hamburg took about 42,000 lives, the raids on London took perhaps 50,000 lives.

Compared to the perhaps 60-70 million Japanese that might have died in the invasion of Japan, the death toll from the atomic bombs was low and a small price to pay for the lives saved.

There are at least 150,000 American soldiers and perhaps a few million descendants of those soldiers who lived because President Truman dropped the atomic bombs on Japan."
source