• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The anti-Muslim/Islam nonsense needs to stop

JesusKnowsYou

Look, I get it. Many of you don’t like Islam and some of you don’t personally like Muslims. It’s not so much that personal opinions regarding Islam that bothers me (because 90% of the people here critiquing Islam know diddly squat on Islam), it’s the fact that “the powers that be” posts these same anti-Islam threads as featured threads on the website.

I, at least in the past spread the criticism around to different religions yet I rarely see those threads pop up as a featured thread. The issues that I see with those threads becoming featured discussions is that you’re featuring these “critiques” but these are redundant issues that have been regurgitated and talked about.

All I am saying is if I criticize Judaism, or Hinduism, or any other faith let that be a featured thread as well. I’m not saying that threads I’ve made in the past weren’t featured but it seems that more likely than not, anything critiquing Islam or the Muslim community at large more commonly gets featured over threads that question the validity of other faiths.

That to me displays the level of bias by the website itself or those who are in control of featuring threads. This to me is not fairness. Not to mention featuring threads that continually bash Islam or Muslims just draws people who already have a negative view of the faith into discussion, making it not an actual intelligent discussion, but an echo chamber.

If it’s going to be about religion let it be about it, but stop always featuring threads that criticize Islam. This is one of the main reasons why the only moderate Muslim who was a moderator left. It just fosters the level of toxicity that makes actual discussion impossible.
Everyone has bias.

If you don't like it - leave.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm often involved in the debates involving Islam. In my experience, I see a lot of criticism of the IDEAS of Islam. I do not see posters insulting Muslims. It could be I haven't been involved in those threads. But my real suspicion is that Muslims feel insulted when Islam is criticized. While I agree that that's human nature, it's not really fair to say that criticizing Islam is the same as insulting Muslims.
Well, you're not paying much attention or aren't around enough because it happens a lot. I've seen posters advocate genocide against Muslims on here.

JesusKnowsYou

***edit*** You have no business telling established posters to leave, especially looking like a troll with that stupid avatar.
I don't understand.

I never told anyone to leave.

Do "established posters" have some rights or privileges that I, as a new poster, don't have?

Don't we all have the right to express our thoughts and views?

I was merely stating that everyone is free to act on their bias and everyone is also free to leave any situation they don't like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't understand.

I never told anyone to leave.

Do "established posters" have some rights or privileges that I, as a new poster, don't have?

Don't we all have the right to express our thoughts and views?

I was merely stating that everyone is free to act on their bias and everyone is also free to leave any situation they don't like.
It just comes off as very rude when you've just joined a forum and don't really know the situation that's being discussed since you haven't been here long enough to know, and then come into the conversation and tell someone to leave. What the OP is describing has been a long-running problem on this forum. It's not about "bias".

JesusKnowsYou

It just comes off as very rude when you've just joined a forum and don't really know the situation that's being discussed since you haven't been here long enough to know, and then come into the conversation and tell someone to leave. What the OP is describing has been a long-running problem on this forum. It's not about "bias".
But the OP claimed that it was "bias". I was just using the description he himself used.

I don't really need to know the "situation" in order to understand and share the basic principles of freedom.

There are a lot of things on the internet I don't like or agree with, but rather than try to change how everyone else acts, I just avoid those things I don't like.

I understand that you think I was being rude, but I don't see it that way.

For example, you may not consider your posts to me to be rude, but I consider it very rude to tell someone that they are not free to have an opinion because they are new to a forum.

We are all free.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Well, you're not paying much attention or aren't around enough because it happens a lot. I've seen posters advocate genocide against Muslims on here.

Well I'm coming up on 6 years and 9000 posts. From that limited perspective I'd have to say that the kinds of posts you're referring to must be rare, not frequent. And I'd also have to guess that the mods would shut such posts down pretty quickly, no?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well I'm coming up on 6 years and 9000 posts. From that limited perspective I'd have to say that the kinds of posts you're referring to must be rare, not frequent. And I'd also have to guess that the mods would shut such posts down pretty quickly, no?
Speaking of staff, I've seen staff call Islam as a mental illness. So there is a problem here.

JesusKnowsYou

No. Calling a religion a mental illness on a forum that is supposed to welcome religious people is, imo, against rules 9 & 3.
Aw. I have yet to read the rules. Would you mind sharing where I can find these rules?

I may need to amend my statements.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Great point. And to me criticism based on ignorance is more likely to be perceived as an insult.

This is a bit of a tangent but:

For millennia there has been an industry dedicated to wrapping scripture in a thick cloth of "religious scholarly analysis". To this day, lots of people make a good living as religious scholars / apologists. One result of this mountain of "scholarly research", is that apologists can claim that the rest of us are "ignorant".

I mostly call B#llS#it on this defense.