• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The answer isn't 42, but it's close...

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
OH....really....I can't of nothing to write, and or think !
Where.....what ?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Besides, 36 is only the answer to how many intelligent, communicative species...it's not the answer to life, the universe, and everything...

edit to correct grammar, etc.

And thanks for all the fish!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
According to a new study, the number of advanced civilizations in the Milky Way is about 36...

Scientists say most likely number of contactable alien civilisations is 36

Of course, there is a margin of error for the estimate...

Thoughts or reactions?
I wish scientists would quit doing stuff like that. We have zero evidence of life such life on other planets, and to our best knowledge it is possible we are alone in the universe (even if we say and think that appears unlikely). Its like the light ring thingy (maybe that was the structure?) that was described, by a scientist, as an object constructed by aliens. Turns out it was some natural phenomena thingy. Or something. I don't remember, and thats not the point anyways. The point, something Neil DeGrasse Tyson pointed out as a necessity, is the "u" i UFO is unidentified. We don't know. Such evidenceless speculations do us no good, especially as we have recently had some of our fundamental understandings of biology and what is needed for life fundamentally and radically altered by the doscovery of life that functions sans oxygen.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I wish scientists would quit doing stuff like that. We have zero evidence of life such life on other planets, and to our best knowledge it is possible we are alone in the universe (even if we say and think that appears unlikely). Its like the light ring thingy (maybe that was the structure?) that was described, by a scientist, as an object constructed by aliens. Turns out it was some natural phenomena thingy. Or something. I don't remember, and thats not the point anyways. The point, something Neil DeGrasse Tyson pointed out as a necessity, is the "u" i UFO is unidentified. We don't know. Such evidenceless speculations do us no good, especially as we have recently had some of our fundamental understandings of biology and what is needed for life fundamentally and radically altered by the doscovery of life that functions sans oxygen.
I'm not sure about the last statement. Surely Louis Pasteur discovered anaerobic organisms in about 1860, didn't he?

But I rather agree about these headline-grabbing but rather meaningless, and crucially, untestable guesstimates.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
It is so
Answer_to_Life.png

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Don't you think they might be wanting to take a few minutes of OUR time to share their love of God with us?

How do you think that conversation will go...?

LOL... it just might be!

But I have found that even when I can't speak someone else's language - there is an instant connection of family when we realize that we have the same love!

So we can have equal time sharing that love! :D

Terry Sampson

I think it is extremely important and exciting because for the first time we really have an estimate for this number of active intelligent, communicating civilisations that we potentially could contact and find out there is other life in the universe – something that has been a question for thousands of years and is still not answered,” said Christopher Conselice, a professor of astrophysics at the University of Nottingham and a co-author of the research."

Hmmm, ... can I have that man's job?

Heyo

Veteran Member
According to a new study, the number of advanced civilizations in the Milky Way is about 36...

Scientists say most likely number of contactable alien civilisations is 36

Of course, there is a margin of error for the estimate...

Thoughts or reactions?
I wonder if @shunyadragon would like to add that article to his list of examples of "bad science"?
The Drake Equation gets mentioned but not cited, much less the values of the variables or how the scientists came to their estimates. No word either on how this is news.

Yes, 36 is close to 42. It is meaningless without the question or the context.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
But I rather agree about these headline-grabbing but rather meaningless, and crucially, untestable guesstimates.

Telling was the following:

“Basically, we made the assumption that intelligent life would form on other [Earth-like] planets like it has on Earth, so within a few billion years life would automatically form as a natural part of evolution,” said Conselice. [ibid]​

I also suspect (but cannot prove) that SETI optimists are more likely to be trained in the physical sciences rather than the biological sciences

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
In the beginning ...

... and, then:
Homo sapiens did not appear on the earth, just a geologic second ago, because evolutionary theory predicts such an outcome based on themes of progress and increasing neural complexity. Humans arose, rather, as a fortuitous and contingent outcome of thousands of linked events, any one of which could have occurred differently and sent history on an alternative pathway that would not have led to consciousness. To cite just four among a multitude: (1) If our inconspicuous and fragile lineage had not been among the few survivors of the initial radiation of multicellular animal life in the Cambrian explosion 530 million years ago, then no vertebrates would have inhabited the earth at all. (Only one member of our chordate phylum, the genus Pikaia, has been found among these earliest fossils. This small and simple swimming creature, showing its allegiance to us by possessing a notochord, or dorsal stiffening rod, is among the rarest fossils of the Burgess Shale, our best preserved Cambrian fauna.) (2) If a small and unpromising group of lobe-finned fishes had not evolved fin bones with a strong central axis capable of bearing weight on land, then vertebrates might never have become terrestrial. (3) If a large extraterrestrial body had not struck the earth 65 million years ago, then dinosaurs would still be dominant and mammals insignificant (the situation that had prevailed for 100 million years previously). (4) If a small lineage of primates had not evolved upright posture on the drying African savannas just two to four million years ago, then our ancestry might have ended in a line of apes that, like the chimpanzee and gorilla today, would have become ecologically marginal and probably doomed to extinction despite their remarkable behavioral complexity. - Stephen Jay Gould

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The hypothesis isn't untestable...just not testable in anything less than [probably] several hundred to several thousand years...:shrug: