• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Animal that the Great White Shark fears the most.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Great white sharks are decreasing in numbers (WWF) and are classed as Vulnerable (extinction risk category) by the IUCN, primarily because of human activity (eg habitat loss, non-shark over-fishing, trophy hunting). They should fear humans the most.

"The most profound enemies of the white shark are human beings."
- white shark | Size, Diet, Habitat, & Facts
- Encyclopedia Britannica.

Last edited:

Eyes to See

Orcas are also known as killer whales. They are actually dolphins!

A friend of my wife had a husband who was a fisherman. He lost his life last year to a great white. They are not usually seen in the Sea of Cortez. It was a great tragedy. He was diving to collect shells from the seabed and he immediately was pulling on his cord to be pulled up. The men in the boat with him hauled him up and half his body was missing. He died before they reached shore.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
They are. I tend to think of the possibility of animals like this as being the next in line for sentience. Maybe even before primates with the obvious exception.
By means of human tech or by separate evolution? I don't think it'll happen by itself.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
By means of human tech or by separate evolution? I don't think it'll happen by itself.
How likely or predictable was humans developing sentience from our primate ancestors?
Maybe our version of "intelligence" isn't particularly impressive or durable, and God has plans that don't include our species.
:shrug:

Oh well. Maybe we exist to Create the conditions for a higher, more godly, form of experience and existence.
So far, that theory is better evidenced than Heaven.
Tom

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
How likely or predictable was humans developing sentience from our primate ancestors?
Maybe our version of "intelligence" isn't particularly impressive or durable, and God has plans that don't include our species.

Oh well. Maybe we exist to Create the conditions for a higher, more godly, form of experience and existence.
Tom
Tom, suspend judgment and consider this idea. I think our intelligence is a self complimenting, self referential device; so I don't think it can be improved upon. God's intelligence on the other hand (which is theoretical) is probably passionless in our frame of reference. For you or I it would probably seem pointless. It would be like sitting on ice while trying to appreciate daisies. I'd be thinking about my cold butt. Yeah God would be smarter though.

An orca that we helped to think would be a lot like us and share most of our limitations I think.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
They are. I tend to think of the possibility of animals like this as being the next in line for sentience. Maybe even before primates with the obvious exception.

Not sure what you mean here? Animals have sentience.

"According to the Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness (publicly proclaimed on 7 July 2012 at the Cambridge University) .... Sponges, placozoans, and mesozoans, with simple body plans and no nervous system, are the only members of the animal kingdom that possess no sentience."

- Sentience - Wikipedia

Eyes to See

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
A sentient being is one that has self-awareness.

"Having sense perception; conscious."
Yes, as that same entry says:

"The prevailing scientific view today is that sentience is generated by specialized neural structures and processes – neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological."

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
They are already sentient!
Excuse me. I forgot that they used the term 'Sentient'. Mice are sentient, so it doesn't confer that much intelligence.

What do you mean? An orca can already think - it has a large brain, it is a highly intelligent mammal, a dolphin, it lives in a complex society (comparable to elephants), they can work out problems.........etc etc
I'm not saying that orcas ought to be enhanced, but they would need to be enhanced to learn a lot of things. An orca can think, yes; but an orca does not communicate with us. It may be intelligent living in a society "Comparable to elephants," yet with our influence it could also be able to communicate with us about our ideas and share its own. It might be enabled to learn Earth's History and to be curious about its own History. Thought is not transferable, but words are. Towards that, an orca is not able.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Tom
Our primate ancestors were sentient, so is my cat. Her sapience, on the other hand, is questionable. She's a real goofball.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Mice are sentient, so it doesn't confer that much intelligence.
Sentience is a prerequisite for any intelligence.

they would need to be enhanced to learn a lot of things.
To what end? In their given environment they have learnt (as a species) all they need to.

an orca does not communicate with us
Of course not, humans and orcas have different communication systems.

might be enabled to learn Earth's History and to be curious about its own History.
That seems completely anthropomorphic.