• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Alabama conundrum

Vee

Premium Member
Alabama has been on the news a lot, with regards to a new law, making all kinds of abortions illegal.
If I understood this right, they are defending the sanctity of human life.
Personally, I agree that the human life is precious and needs to be valued since the moment it starts, but if they value life so much, how come that state still has the death penalty?
I'm not saying that the life of an innocent baby should be compared with the life of a criminal or that criminals deserve any kind of sympathy, but normally when people defend the sanctity of human life, that applies to all humans, no? o_O

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Alabama has been on the news a lot, with regards to a new law, making all kinds of abortions illegal.
Personally, I agree that the human life is precious and needs to be valued since the moment it starts, but if they value life so much, how come that state still has the death penalty?
I'm not saying that the life of an innocent baby should be compared with the life of a criminal or that criminals deserve any kind of sympathy, but normally when people defend the sanctity of human life, that applies to all humans, no? o_O

It's based on feelings. Feelings need not be logical.

While I don't agree with the death penalty, some people feel a sense of justice. Feel there needs to be proper restitution for a crime. Take a life, loose a life, eye for an eye etc...

Moral laws are more about what feels to be right to a person. the unborn is innocent. Those that commit murder have been found to be guilty. Justice, that sense of justice needs to be served.

The sanctity of life argument only works when it is in support of your feelings.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I'm not saying that the life of an innocent baby should be compared with the life of a criminal or that criminals deserve any kind of sympathy

This is exactly pro life.....

Funny how pro-lifers can argue about the sanctity of life, but once it is born its on its own and nobody cares. I also like how some pro-lifers I have argued with also thought Trayvon Martin thought his life should've ended cause you know, he was a criminal that didn't need sympathy as well. Considering how many thought this sanctified life should've died

joe1776

Conscience, our intuitive moral guide, does not seem to recognize the sanctity of life idea. It doesn't make simple rules like that. It makes judgments case-by-case. We feel the wrongness or we don't.

Conscience guides us to kill only if necessary in self-defense or to protect other innocent people. So, most executions of killers are unnecessary and immoral according to the guidance of conscience.

As for abortion, if it is murder as some say, then our conscience would confirm this judgment with an urge to punish the wrongdoer. Since the urge to severely punish women for having abortions is missing, that should tell us that something has gone wrong with the reasoning of the people who label abortion as murder.

Daemon Sophic

Not for pro-birthers. "Sanctity of Life" only applies to the unborn, apparently.
Actually, I believe that this group tends to value life at both ends of the spectrum, without giving much thought to the middle. ;)

Those who are anti-choice/pro-life would also have been on the side of Terry Schaivo’s biological family, rather than supporting her husband in his bid to give his wife her right to die.
Ten Years After Terri Schiavo, Death Debates Still Divide Us: Bioethicist
They also tend to get worked up over a fake thing they call “death-panels”. :mad::rolleyes:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
And yet they don't really care for lower-profile vegetative state people, or the lives wasted and ended in wars (even when they're children). They don't value life, they value the spotlight.

Reactions: Vee

shmogie

A baby can exercise no choice in whether it exists or if it is inconvenient for someone.

On the other hand, a convicted killer has exercised choice in killing someone and choosing the penalty for killing someone.

Total innocence as compared to total guilt.

Justice is allowing someone the consequences of their freely chosen actions.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
A baby can exercise no choice in whether it exists or if it is inconvenient for someone.

On the other hand, a convicted killer has exercised choice in killing someone and choosing the penalty for killing someone.

Total innocence as compared to total guilt.

Justice is allowing someone the consequences of their freely chosen actions.
Glad to hear you're pro-choice!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This is exactly pro life.....

Funny how pro-lifers can argue about the sanctity of life, but once it is born its on its own and nobody cares. I also like how some pro-lifers I have argued with also thought Trayvon Martin thought his life should've ended cause you know, he was a criminal that didn't need sympathy as well. Considering how many thought this sanctified life should've died

The baby serves as a mere prop in their sanctimonious posturing.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Exactly, which is why I don't consider anyone to be truly "pro-life" unless they are against the death penalty in areas whereas there are prisons and/or jails so as to protect society. Plus, I feel they also need to be anti-war with the exception of defense, such as what's taught in the Just-War Theory or non[deadly]-violence.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I don't quite think that regarding ALL lives as sacred is the default position for pro-life.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Exactly, which is why I don't consider anyone to be truly "pro-life" unless they are against the death penalty in areas whereas there are prisons and/or jails so as to protect society. Plus, I feel they also need to be anti-war with the exception of defense, such as what's taught in the Just-War Theory or non[deadly]-violence.

Aren't you taking the label too far ? The same could be done with pro-choice. It is not like pro-choice entails supporting all possible human choices either.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
IMO, no, as the issue is human life and whether we should end it. Thus, I prefer the broader definition.

But if people that use this label to describe themselves don't make such a broad use of this term, why would you do this ?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Because murderers take lives. Therefore they should be taken out of the equation.

You could spare 1 murderer. But the chance of him/her committing another murder is high. So while you have spared that 1 life, you have endangered many more.

Or you could stop the continued murders by ending the murderer's life.

Vee

Premium Member
Or you could stop the continued murders by ending the murderer's life.

Or you could put them in jail for the rest of their lives and not become a murderer yourself by ending their life. I think it was Gandhi who said that an eye for an eye and the entire world goes blind...

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Or you could put them in jail for the rest of their lives and not become a murderer yourself by ending their life. I think it was Gandhi who said that an eye for an eye and the entire world goes blind...

They will still kill in jail, just other inmates and guards, and even lifers have a chance at parole. In which 15% of convicted killers that have been released have gone on to commit murder again.

The death penalty is not an eye for an eye. That is a very naive and immature view of it.