• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Afterlife....An Imagining

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are those who believe that the upload prevents going to the religious heaven.

OK, thanks for the overview. Personally I see it would not change what happens from my faith perspective.

What you have said, shows to me, that people strive for another life external from this life, but want to do it their way and not submit to what faith requires.

Regards Tony

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So in other words no religious aspect but a man made reality, or self motivated future.

So what you are saying attracts you with this show, that it is an excape from having to face there may indeed be God?

Regards Tony

I'm sure they could simulate a deity for those so inclined but I suspect there'd be an extra charge for that service. :cool:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Haven't watched the program (I am just not a TV viewer, I'm afraid, however weird that might seem). However, long ago I watched Star Trek episodes, and used to wonder about the transporter technology in a sort of philosophical curiosity. And since that series posited that transporters could also make replicas, this brings up the question of the "upload" technology under discussion.

See, if a transporter made a replica of one of the characters, there are, in that instant, now 2 characters where there were one. Both share identical memories up to the moment of replication, but then the 2 part ways, and exist as 2 different entities. Example, a moment after replication, one of the two bumps into a table and bruises a leg, the other doesn't. They no longer share identical memories, and will diverge further and further as long as the 2 exist.

So let's assume that the "uploader" can leave the person being uploaded alive and intact. It is, after all, only thoughts that are actually uploaded. So the question is this: if you are uploaded in this way, but continue living as well, have "you" really been uploaded at all? The living you might remember the moment your thoughts were copied, but that same you would continue on, having new thoughts that will not be uploaded, and you will not notice a discontinuation of you at all.

How would you answer the questions in the OP in light of that sort of thinking?

JesusKnowsYou

"Upload" is a new (2020) TV series on Amazon.
Imagine that there's an afterlife...but no deity. And it's run by a business, Horizen.
In the year 2033, Heaven, as it were, is gained by having one's brain uploaded into
a computer system. Once there, one's consciousness lives in a virtual world.

I know what some of you are thinking....yeah, yeah....it's been done before.
This is a different take on the concept. It's better than others I've seen.
The uploaded people have to pay for everything, but they can't legally work,
so the living must foot the bill. It's a well fleshed out environment....sophisticated
production....comedy....drama....intrigue....mystery....technology...something for all.

Anyway, there are questions....
- Does this afterlife prevent access to heaven?
- Does everyone have a right to be uploaded, & consequently immortal?
- What are relationships like between the living & the uploaded?

I thought the religious aspects might interest some here.
Anyone else seen it? I like it.
I've seen commercials and I'm not too interested.

I think my wife likes the main guy - so she may force me to watch it with her eventually.

The afterlife I believe in is nothing like that show or what we experience here.

From how I understand the process - uploading your personality to this vitural world would not prevent access to Heaven because you cannot upload a spirit.

It would just be a "copy" of your personality - but you'd actually be dead.

I'd hope that anyone and everyone could be uploaded as long as a living person is willing to pay.

Free market baby!

My understanding of the relationships between the living and the uploaded would be like having a virtual pet.

Like a tamagachi.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm sure they could simulate a deity for those so inclined but I suspect there'd be an extra charge for that service. :cool:

Ha ha, there is no doubt in this world man will find a way to make more money, but with God I see there is no charge when service to others is a free choice.

Regards Tony

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OK, thanks for the overview. Personally I see it would not change what happens from my faith perspective.

What you have said, shows to me, that people strive for another life external from this life, but want to do it their way and not submit to what faith requires.

Regards Tony
I'll wager that not all faiths have such requirements.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ha ha, from what I read once on the site, partly it is triggered automatically from responses.

Regards Tony
I know it's automatic (based upon response quantity).
But life is more fun if one takes satisfaction in meaningless achievements.
It's a participation trophy, but without the trophy.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There are those who believe that the upload prevents going to the religious heaven.
That reminds me of this nonbeliever I know who believes that when he dies he is going to an air-conditioned party in hell and there will be booze and weed and dancing girls there, all manner of evil things.... He says the Christians will be looking through the plate glass window wanting to get in but they'll only be able to look, they won't be able to get in. :D

danieldemol

Premium Member
:eek::confused: Now there's challenging question, IMO, for theologians of the hypothetical.
A fundamental premise of the series seems to be that "I" am my memories, and desires I suppose. So when those are "sucked" out of me and uploaded, what's left? Just my material body, right? On the other hand, in many "religions", when my body ceases to function, my soul goes somewhere. In such a case, it would seem, there would be a soul without memories or desires somewhere and virtual collection of memories and desires "in the cloud". Hmmm, ... somebody go get @Frank Goad and Rational Experiences and see what they think.
Nope, the upload would just take a copy of the information, you would still be your spirit, whether in an in or out of body state as happens after death

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Upload" is a new (2020) TV series on Amazon.
Imagine that there's an afterlife...but no deity. And it's run by a business, Horizen.
In the year 2033, Heaven, as it were, is gained by having one's brain uploaded into
a computer system. Once there, one's consciousness lives in a virtual world.

I know what some of you are thinking....yeah, yeah....it's been done before.
This is a different take on the concept. It's better than others I've seen.
The uploaded people have to pay for everything, but they can't legally work,
so the living must foot the bill. It's a well fleshed out environment....sophisticated
production....comedy....drama....intrigue....mystery....technology...something for all.

Anyway, there are questions....
- Does this afterlife prevent access to heaven?
- Does everyone have a right to be uploaded, & consequently immortal?
- What are relationships like between the living & the uploaded?

I thought the religious aspects might interest some here.
Anyone else seen it? I like it.
It looks like the electric soul has the same problems as the classical model.

The human brain has thoughts and memories and input-processing as aspects of its working.

But a great deal of its functioning is biochemical. So when you remember something nice, and you get a nice feeling, that nice feeling is biochemical / hormonal; and when you get a nasty feeling that too is due to your biochemicals including hormones. In this way, there's no direct analogy between the brain and the electric model, or between the brain and the biochemical-free soul.

Paul has the Christian Saved shuck their biochemical version and don a 'spiritual body', but I don't see how that solves the problem, unless there are spiritual biochemicals, whatever that might mean.

So I'm not really persuaded.

And besides, what do the uploaded dead do all day except watch daytime TV?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Upload has been renewed for a 2nd season.

Did anyone else notice "Cancer Man" from The X-Files in the show?
The actor looks cadaverous, but he's still alive.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It looks like the electric soul has the same problems as the classical model.

The human brain has thoughts and memories and input-processing as aspects of its working.

But a great deal of its functioning is biochemical. So when you remember something nice, and you get a nice feeling, that nice feeling is biochemical / hormonal; and when you get a nasty feeling that too is due to your biochemicals including hormones. In this way, there's no direct analogy between the brain and the electric model, or between the brain and the biochemical-free soul.

Paul has the Christian Saved shuck their biochemical version and don a 'spiritual body', but I don't see how that solves the problem, unless there are spiritual biochemicals, whatever that might mean.

So I'm not really persuaded.
There's nothing to persuade anyone to accept.
And besides, what do the uploaded dead do all day except watch daytime TV?
If I told you all the delights, adventures, & dangers
to be had in digital heaven, I'd spoil the surprises.
I'm too magnanimous to do such a thing.

A thought occurred to me.
(That happens a few times a year.)

Imagine how some spend ridiculous amounts of time here on RF.
And this is just a life of writing & reading text....with a few videos
& pix sprinkled here & there.
But consider this environment expanded into a simulation of reality
hardly distinguishable from the material world. The things we could do!
Now, instead of arguing, I could draw real blood from those who so
richly deserve it.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There's nothing to persuade anyone to accept.

If I told you all the delights, adventures, & dangers
to be had in digital heaven, I'd spoil the surprises.
I'm too magnanimous to do such a thing.

A thought occurred to me.
(That happens a few times a year.)

Imagine how some spend ridiculous amounts of time here on RF.
And this is just a life of writing & reading text....with a few videos
& pix sprinkled here & there.
But consider this environment expanded into a simulation of reality
hardly distinguishable from the material world. The things we could do!
Now, instead of arguing, I could draw real blood from those who so
richly deserve it.
Good luck with that!

Terry Sampson

Just watched Netflix's "Rememory". Another fascinating memory-related movie.
"The mind forgets things for a reason."
See it?