• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The actual point......

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
No don't be thrown off by the title. I am merely asking here, men.What is the actual point of religion? Is there any? Is it just something to believe in?
Does it give out feelings, expressions, anything? I would like to know what exactly is
the point.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I imagine it has different points to every person. :)

For me, I don't have a religion as much as a spirituality. I tend to think of it as a way of approaching and percieving the world. It helps me to better celebrate the beauty in others, in the world we live in, and in myself. Sometimes it makes me able to more easily express emotions that I'm not normally comfortable with. It also sometimes tackles me to consider things that I might think are true but aren't, or vice-versa. My particular branch of paganism also encourages social responsibility.

I know that's only the point for me, not everyone. But for me, it's a big point.

Temporarily Deactive.
<asskiss>You excel in all those Feathers:)</asskiss>

LOL, anyways, I see your point there:) I mean, however why do people have belief in God or Allah
or whatever? When they say "God helps us to feel loved, to share love and to guide me." Is this
just an automated thought that associates with the belief?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
You know you never need to kiss up to me! *hugs* I like ya enough already!

I imagine that the thought processes that come with religion are not necessarily automated. If they were, all the people that follow a certain path would think the same thing. We don't, and if we did, it would be very boring, indeed. Also, "God helps me to feel loved, to share love and to guide me" is not always the way people feel. Sometimes, unfortunately, they feel "God hates the things I hate, which is why I follow him." I think that whatever spirituality is, it comes from within. Hopefully, it's a good thing, but not always.

nutshell

Personally and as an LDS Christian, I believe the point of religion should be to perform the ordinances necessary for salvation and exaltation, without which we would not progress and be able to return to our Heavenly Father's presence.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Malus01 said:
No don't be thrown off by the title. I am merely asking here, men.What is the actual point of religion? Is there any? Is it just something to believe in?
Does it give out feelings, expressions, anything? I would like to know what exactly is
the point.
Peace be with you Malus01,

Religion helps one to answer all the questions s/he has. Believing in God gives one's heart ecstasy and happiness. It is to God that the believer resorts to in all cirumstances. If one is in dificulty s/he seeks God. If one is ill and suffering, s/he God for healing. If one is happy, s/he thanks God. If one is in a dilemma, it is to God that s/he resort for guidance. God created us, He knows what is apparent and what is hidden within every one of us. We are His creatures, so He has a clue and answer to all our needs. He created us, we belong to Him and to Him we shall return at the end regardless of whether you are a believer or not.
May our dear God guide our ways!!

Peace

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Malus01 said:
What is the actual point of religion?
As I've noted in the past, Yi-Fu Tuan, in an article titled "Humanistic Geography" appearing in the Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Vol. 66, No. 2: 266-276, defines religion as
the impulse for cohesion and meaning.
Since there is no requirement that meaning come from superstition rather than science, there is no barrier to a religious humanism predicated upon methodological naturalism.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
"The purpose of religion for me is to try and better myself." - Nice one Jensa. I would also add that it is the way for me to be able to talk to God while I am alive, and hopefully, I will be near him when i die - I can't think of anything better.

With you there Jensa. That is the sum of what religion is. Religion also adds a support system for people of like beliefs. Afterall, religion is what someone does while beliefs are Who a person is. Religion is just the system that allows people to be Who they are.

Temporarily Deactive.
michel said:
I would also add that it is the way for me to be able to talk to God while I am alive, and hopefully, I will be near him when i die
But see MICH how am I to base my life around a faith like, pretending God is there. I do
not believe in any life after death. As for the thing Jensa said that you people seem to think was the best thing ever said, "to try and better myself", is there not physical means
that we can do, such as support groups, counselling, rehabilitation etc? So, if religion is
the way to "better" myself, that would nullify all point in the above mentioned activities?

Steve

Malus01 said:
the point.
Hi Malus01,
It depends on whether you belive their truly is a God or not, I belive their is a creator, someone higher than us who actually gave us life and therefor purpose or meaning and also that we are ultimatley accountable to him- with that in mind i want to find out who God is, what he is like and what he expects of me. A search for truth, real truth, not just wishy washy relativism eg "your truth is good for you and mines for me", but a hunger for what is real even if it excludes other beliefs.

Malus01 said:
But see MICH how am I to base my life around a faith like, pretending God is there. I do not believe in any life after death.
"pretending" - if your profession of faith is fake then there is no point, from a Christian standpoint pretending that Jesus died for you and pretending he rose from the dead wont get us anywhere. Its really beliving that counts.
About life after death, do you belive Jesus rose again? Or the apostles just made it up and went to their deaths proclaiming somthing they knew was a lie?

Malus01 said:
As for the thing Jensa said that you people seem to think was the best thing ever said, "to try and better myself", is there not physical means
that we can do, such as support groups, counselling, rehabilitation etc? So, if religion is
the way to "better" myself, that would nullify all point in the above mentioned activities?
Good point, if their is no God then the other groups you listed are much the same except without the false belifes. But at the same time without a God these groups cant satisfy the longing for meaning/pupose, especially if at the end of the day your head hits the pillow and you really belive everything is just a product of blind chance.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Malus01 said:
As for the thing Jensa said that you people seem to think was the best thing ever said, "to try and better myself", is there not physical means
I never said it is the way; it is merely a way. Support groups and rehab are only for addictions... religion/spirituality for me is for life in general, not just my bad habits.

Uncertaindrummer

Malus01 said:
I do
not believe in any life after death.
Well obviously, if you don't believe in life after death or anything of the sort, there is NO point to religion. That's like asking what is the point of prayer when one does not believe in God. Obviously, there is none.

Fatmop

wishy washy relativism
So relativism is wishy-washy. I do believe, Steve, that God commanded, "Thou shalt not kill." That is the perfect example of an absolute. Why, then, does God so often command people, especially in the Old Testament, to kill?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Jensa said:
The purpose of religion for me is to try and better myself.
I think that about says it all. If religion -- any religion -- can lift humanity, it's a good thing.

Temporarily Deactive.
Uncertaindrummer said:
Well obviously, if you don't believe in life after death or anything of the sort, .
Drum dude I may not believe in life after death, but not all religions focus on that.
And it's this life, right here, that I need the guidance on, not some life that may occur
when I die.;)

Uncertaindrummer said:
there is NO point to religion. .
I am starting to believe those words. :D