• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The active trolls

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Uh huh. So now you’re gaslighting him...
I had to look it up ...

"Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity."

There is no need as I already question my own memory, perception, and sanity. He can't make it much worse than it already is.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So how do you define trolling?
He means that when he cuts and posts paragraphs from his book in open forums, nobody should say anything other than 'wow', irrespective of what trash may be contained in it.

A forum membership is for that, posts and comments by others. I think he is belittling other members by calling them trolls

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
He means that when he cuts and posts paragraphs from his book in open forums, nobody should say anything other than 'wow', irrespective of what trash may be contained in it.

A forum membership is for that, posts and comments by others. I think he is belittling other members by calling them trolls
Welcome to the club.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We who live south of (ie, under) the Mackinac Bridge are all trolls.
(That's my excuse, & I'm stick'n with it.)

I noticed that the Mackinac Bridge is a troll bridge ($4 per car). They have a lot of troll bridges and troll roads in the NE and Midwest. They have troll booths set up to take your money. It's such a boring job that they pass the time posting rude things on the internet.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can imagine that a religious person might see a skeptic as a troll. To me it gets down to intentions and transparency. I don't consider myself to be a troll because I'm quite open about my negative opinion of religion. But others might see my criticisms as "trolling".

So how do you define trolling?

I really have no mindset on this at this time.

What I am seeing is the repeated postings of negitive comments, that have previously on many occasions been given a fair an reasonable answer.

What are we to conclude from such input to a post?

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I noticed that the Mackinac Bridge is a troll bridge ($4 per car). They have a lot of troll bridges and troll roads in the NE and Midwest. They have troll booths set up to take your money. It's such a boring job that they pass the time posting rude things on the internet.
Do trolls get a free pass across their own bridges?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Better start by attempting a definition of a troll, I should think.

My working definition would be someone who posts for the purpose of stirring up discord, rather than to express ideas in good faith. Is this the behaviour you are thinking of?

Sounds fair.

It also could mean some may do it with intent, or in the guise that it had no such intention, or just like pointless debate.

Regards Tony

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Michiganistan has no toll roads that I know of.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

One has to rise above looking at people and define the action.

We are all but one human race, all deserve respect and all need to consider how to interact with each other in a productive way.

Regards Tony

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I see RF has active trolls, in the guises of balanced posters.

It could be they do not think they are and as such it could be applicable to my own self.

What says you?

No names allowed.

Regards Tony

This post triggered me in a way that isn't good for me. I mean, let's say a few people are trolls. It happens. But at what point do we draw the line on what is and isn't a troll? What if a person is being themselves and does have some complex behavior, but is being honest?

Anyways, I'll try not to let the opening comments get to me. This could be a good discussion. This forum has been very nice and tolerant of me, I want to say staff included :) (no sarcasm intended), but I have said things that can be taken the wrong way on the forum. I once outlined how I had these experiences on ghosts and even a form of astral projection or something throughout my life, but these days, I take my post as evidence that I used to believe in superstition. If anyone ever comes across said post, it will show them the progress I've made.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I am here to learn about all different kind's of pov's in the spirit of illumination.:)

I expect to be chastised and corrected.:(:confused:o_O:rolleyes::D:cool:.

I have anti Christian, Islam, and Judaism views. However I have Christian friends. I don't hate on them, just the religion itself.:mad:

I am not a troll. And I don't gaslight.

I'm not against naturalism but I oppose that to. I find it fascinating. Yet I don't need any conversion demands and censorship of my non naturalist leanings.:p

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is a fascinating topic.

There is no easy answer.

On the one hand, hiding a stance is no better than voicing it.

On the other hand, respect is something to be earned, not demanded.

Ultimately, the most pragmatic stance far as I can tell is to be cautious yet direct. We don't control other people's expectations and reactions, but neither can we be expected to predict or feel fully responsible for them.

Trolls as I understand it are essentially abusers. Those can often be passive-aggressive and even quite sincere. Their common trait is that they do not carry the weight of their own responsibility as well as they could.

The best approach for dealing with those is probably going for the jugular, so to speak, and call them out up front. There is no helping them otherwise.

But there are always exceptions, and there are people who will come with all kinds of judgements, including some that proudly defy logic and facts. That can't really be helped. There is a place for simply giving up on achieving someone else's understanding; sometimes it is just not worth pursuing.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am here to learn about all different kind's of pov's in the spirit of illumination.:)

I expect to be chastised and corrected.:(:confused:o_O:rolleyes::D:cool:.

I have anti Christian, Islam, and Judaism views. However I have Christian friends. I don't hate on them, just the religion itself.:mad:

I am not a troll. And I don't gaslight.

I'm not against naturalism but I oppose that to. I find it fascinating. Yet I don't need any conversion demands and censorship of my non naturalist leanings.:p
Care to elaborate on that bit about being a non-naturalist?