• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The _______ Commandments

How many commandments are there today in Christianity?

• Total voters

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Just another question for ya. Do you think we can know for certain how much the Jesus camp departed from the law? Because there were at least two Jewish groups known to scholars that followed Jesus and kept the law pretty strictly. The Ebionites and Nazarenes. Some things about the development of the Christian movement are less clear than others.
Yes, these two tried to better keep the Law but then pretty much were doomed by history.

OTOH, the Jesus camp based on the Twelve obviously survived but really didn't follow the majority of the Law, especially as it was pretty much dominated by Gentiles gradually after 70 c.e. and they're not under the Law. However, even before then, such as what we read in Acts, we see that process in place as the belief was that Jesus was "the final sacrifice" that led to the end of the Law.

You've undoubtedly seen this before, but here's a listing of the 613 Laws and where they're found in Torah, and it's obvious that Christianity no longer follows the vast majority of them: Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

Jeremiah Ames

Now I get it. Love one another as Christ loves me. Yes. That is one. Very good!

I have been away for a while.
Thanks for all your comments. I don’t mind that you took over the thread. I think it’s great.

I am happy that you liked the video. It was quite moving.

God bless you.

syo

three holy commands. love god, consider everything part of god, so the third command is love every creature because we are all creations of god.