• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 3 states of California?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I don't live in California, although I have been there several times and I enjoyed myself there every time. Im the news in my area (NYS) I see there is a vote about dividing California into 3 separate states, but I am not exactly sure what the advantage of California dividing into 3 different states would be and I am rather curious about it.

What is the advantage to Californians if California becoming 3 states?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
it would give Republicans more control, which isn't an advantage IMHO

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
By making states that have a higher percent of Republican voters

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I should probably add this to the discussion

Proposal to split California into 3 states makes November ballot

SACRAMENTO, Calif. --
A proposal to divide California into three states will be on the November statewide ballot.

Backers of CAL 3 said last month they collected and delivered 600,000 signatures to California Secretary of State Alex Padilla's Office, surpassing the 365,000 required by law to qualify for the ballot.

CAL 3 is led by venture capitalist Tim Draper.

The proposal calls for three states to be formed:

Northern California, roughly the Bay Area to the Oregon border; California, which would include six coastal counties, including Los Angeles, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, San Benito and Ventura; and Southern California, which would go from Fresno to San Diego, excluding those six coastal counties.

If the measure passes, the California Legislature and U.S. Congress would still have to approve it.

Article IV of the U.S. Constitution discusses the process for admitting new states to the federal union. Specifically, section three of Article IV says if Congress approves a measure to create a new state, the measure would be presented to the president for approval or veto. In the event of a veto, the measure may be approved over the president's objections with a two-thirds vote of the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives.

Four U.S. states were admitted to the union after being split from an existing state: Kentucky, Maine, Vermont and West Virginia. The last such split - West Virginia's split from Virginia - occurred in 1863 during the Civil War.

Man behind plan to split up California likes chances in November vote

suncowiam

it would give Republicans more control, which isn't an advantage IMHO

No it wouldn't...

The three states still have major metropolitans...

Northern California has SF and the bay area.

California has LA, Orange country.

Southern California still has San Diego. All of California has a good number of immigrants and generations of recent immigrants. If anything, Southern California will have the bigger population of republicans given how the boundaries are drawn as it has more of the inward population.

It's an advantage to the democrats particularly in the Senate.

I'm fine with this proposal. Each new state can then focus more on their own issues...