• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's not my kid! What now?

Ozzie

Ever been in a situation where you might choose to order a genetic test to assert you are the biological parent of a kid you love as your own?

What would you do with that information if you discovered you were not in fact the biological parent?

ZooGirl02

I have definitely never been in that situation considering the fact that I have never even been pregnant before. However, if I were in that situation, I am not sure what I would do. It is just one of those situations that I don't think I would know how I would react until the time actually came.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see why it should make any difference. I patently refuse to have biological children on ethical grounds anyway, so any child I hypothetically raise in the future will not be "mine." To be honest, I find the attitude of a child not being worth it or somehow less-than if it isn't of your bloodline profoundly disturbing. To me, that shows some extremely shallow love indeed. Not sure I would even call that love.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Ever been in a situation where you might choose to order a genetic test to assert you are the biological parent of a kid you love as your own?

What would you do with that information if you discovered you were not in fact the biological parent?

I'm a stepmom. When my husband and I were married I accepted the two boys who had called him "dad" into my life as my own as well.

My first inclination if my children turned out not to be biologically related to me would be surprise (like how in the **** did THAT happen?). And then I'd embrace them and remind them my love for them hasn't changed.

I haven't been in a situation to warrant a test, however. But kids are kids, and their genetics don't determine whether or not they deserve my love for them as a mother if I've been raising them or have accepted them into my home to raise.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Keeping in mind that this a full hypothetical for me, I doubt I would care, except to the extent of what that would imply about the behavior and honesty of my hypothetical companion.

I would much rather adopt anyway, so it is sort of a moot point in and of itself.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm a stepmom. When my husband and I were married I accepted the two boys who had called him "dad" into my life as my own as well.
My first inclination if my children turned out not to be biologically related to me would be surprise (like how in the **** did THAT happen?). And then I'd embrace them and remind them my love for them hasn't changed.
I haven't been in a situation to warrant a test, however. But kids are kids, and their genetics don't determine whether or not they deserve my love for them as a mother if I've been raising them or have accepted them into my home to raise.
Aya, a genetic connection is over-rated.

Unrelated amusing story:
I once had a vicious womanizing lout (also a cop) working for me. (Eventually I fired him for theft & threats of violence.) He had been making child support payments for a kid he thought was his, but he was uninvolved in raising the tyke. He later discovered that he wasn't the bio father, but the courts enforced the payments anyway. He was livid. I was amused.
Btw, I knew one of his ex-girlfriends. He beat her & threatened to have his cop buddies harass her family. A real prince of a guy, eh?

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
If the child was raised by me, then I'd consider him/her my child, I'd love him/er unconditionally, even if /s/he isn't biologically related

4consideration

Premium Member

No. I am female.

The wording here leads me to believe that you are talking about a situation in which the man would be in a position of having to assert legal rights for visitation and other parental type reasons -- in opposition to the wishes of the mother -- after asserting he has rights as a biological parent, and finds that to be incorrect -- according to the results of a genetic test.

Is that what you mean here? Are you asking if a man would/might choose to assert some type of legal right and responsibility for the child that comes solely from love, rather than biological relationship?

Are we talking about a married couple, or boyfriend/girlfriend living together -- or one in which there is some type of agreement between both partners to be sexually exclusive?

Or, are we talking about two people who are openly sexually active with other partners, in which a man might not reasonably assume automatically that the child is his?