• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's not in the Bible!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings everyone!

Was not at all sure where to post this collection of things that are NOT in the Bible.

I found it interesting but your experience may vary.

Anyways, here is the list of things that are often assumed to come from the Bible -

That’s Not in the Bible!

Enjoy your day!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Greetings everyone!

Was not at all sure where to post this collection of things that are NOT in the Bible.

Anyways, here is the list of things that are often assumed to come from the Bible -

That’s Not in the Bible!

Enjoy your day!
Hmm, I would question how many of these examples are really commonly thought to come from the bible.

And some of the explanations given are themselves wrong. For instance, "All that glisters [sic] is not gold" is from the Merchant of Venice and is not "cited" by Shakespeare as being in the bible. Also, the word "magi" in St Matthew's gospel is in fact rendered as "wise men" in some translations, for example the Jerusalem Bible. It's true, though, that their number is not specified.

The (unbiblical) notion that the fruit of the tree in the Garden of Eden was an apple is interesting. It seems to go back to Medieval times, e.g. the words of "Adam Lay Ybounden". I don't buy their suggestion that it arises from a pun on "malum", since, as they themselves point out, the bible does not say the fruit was evil, or that it was an apple. My suspicion is that it came from paintings by N European artists, who would have depicted an apple tree since that was most familiar to them.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A pretty good book ...

tbdst-3d-3.png

pearl

I guess the question is whether or not these 'quotes' reflect the biblical intent or a distortion of it. Another, 'all men are created equal' is not in the Bible.

cataway

i noticed a lot of people think that 3 wise men were at the place of Jesus birth place . did not happen

Hmm, I would question how many of these examples are really commonly thought to come from the bible.

One common misconception is that the quote "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly" is from the Bible.

Few people know that it was in fact former Prime Minister Winston Churchill who said it to a lady MP.

So next time your hear someone claiming that Jesus uttered this withering put-down, you'll be able to show your erudition by putting them right.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Greetings everyone!

That’s Not in the Bible!

Enjoy your day!

already found an issue with "thats not in the bible".

1 Timothy 5:8 basically covers charity at home, or to one's immediate family

the gist of the idea is there.

exchemist

Veteran Member
One common misconception is that the quote "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly" is from the Bible.

Few people know that it was in fact former Prime Minister Winston Churchill who said it to a lady MP.

So next time your hear someone claiming that Jesus uttered this withering put-down, you'll be able to show your erudition by putting them right.
To Bessie Braddock, I think.

Though the quote itself may be apocryphal - not in the sense of meaning that it appears in the bible. :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I guess the question is whether or not these 'quotes' reflect the biblical intent or a distortion of it. Another, 'all men are created equal' is not in the Bible.
You took the words out of my mouth. The quotes are not exact but the idea is shown. It's the old literal vs spirit question.