• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"that kid"

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
This story made me cry. The reason I posted it in Religious debates will be in my reply to this story...

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- David Ritcheson hated being known as "that kid" -- the teenager who was beaten unconscious and sodomized with a plastic pole during a party where one of his assailants shouted "White Power!"
Ritcheson didn't want to stand out from his classmates because of the assault, but he acknowledged in an interview that "it was just really hard to hold your head up, even to walk outside with everyone almost in the world knowing what happened."
That anguish may have contributed to his decision to leap Sunday from a cruise ship to his death in the Gulf of Mexico.
A man at Ritcheson's home who identified himself as the teen's father confirmed the death Monday to The Associated Press. He declined to give his name or comment further, saying the family would issue a statement later.
Ritcheson, 18, rarely discussed his feelings and declined to get counseling after being attacked at the drug-fueled teen party in April 2006. A year later, he testified before Congress in support of a hate crimes bill.
In an interview with the Houston Chronicle this past April, he said: "I shouldn't care what people think or say. It's just the fact that everyone knows I'm the kid. It was bigger than Houston. It was bigger than Texas. It was bigger than America. Everybody in the world knew what had happened and everybody knew the details of it."
Ritcheson, a Mexican-American, was beaten and sodomized with a patio umbrella pole. He also was stomped and burned with cigarettes, and his attackers poured bleach on him before leaving him for dead. He was hospitalized for more than three months and endured 20 to 30 operations.
On Sunday, he was pronounced dead after being pulled aboard the Ecstasy, a cruise ship en route from Galveston to Cozumel, Mexico.

Full story here

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
To the people that say "We all have our crosses to bare" Don't you think this is a little much? How could a "God" that supposedly watches out after us allow this to happen?

HB3

To the people that say "We all have our crosses to bare" Don't you think this is a little much? How could a "God" that supposedly watches out after us allow this to happen?

The point you raise is one I deal with frequently. I constantly hear people say "God is in control" or "let go and let God." But if people have free will, can God really be in control? And when people suffer from natural disasters, is God in control? I sure hope not.

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds

This has nothing to do with God. This is a human issue through and through.

I know you probably have the standard view of God, per your upbringing. You feel separated from God.

The God I know does not interfere in the affairs of men, but is a neutral observer. We have been given certain abilities to construct this world, and it is totally our own creation.

If you wish to change something about this world, you only have to move in that direction, but don't hang the failures of your created world upon the one who created you.

x

Booko

Deviled Hen

I wish I understood why one person who experiences such a tragedy chooses to die and another doesn't.

If we understood it well, we might be able to help people heal from stuff like this so they wouldn't feel so humiliated they thought the rest of their life wasn't worth living.

I hardly have to tell you how devastating untreated depression is. Even when there is an attempt to treat it, it doesn't always work so well.

Preventing people from committing such acts would be even better.

Since you brought God into it, maybe She is trying to give us a couple of messages:

1. It's high time we eliminate racism from human thought.
2. We need to learn more about how we work.

This kid's death should be a wake up call for the rest of us. Time to get to work.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I wish I understood why one person who experiences such a tragedy chooses to die and another doesn't.

If we understood it well, we might be able to help people heal from stuff like this so they wouldn't feel so humiliated they thought the rest of their life wasn't worth living.

I hardly have to tell you how devastating untreated depression is. Even when there is an attempt to treat it, it doesn't always work so well.

Preventing people from committing such acts would be even better.

Since you brought God into it, maybe She is trying to give us a couple of messages:

1. It's high time we eliminate racism from human thought.
2. We need to learn more about how we work.

This kid's death should be a wake up call for the rest of us. Time to get to work.
I can agree with this, but the part about God. These are things we should do as part of the human race, relying on ourselves and not a Deity.

Pariah

Let go
It's times like these I wish a deity would involve himself in our lives. Or at the very least, Satan, so he could ram his giant fist up these racist freaks. Either way, thank God for Southern justice - both of them got life, along with many others convicted on drug possession.

Pariah

Let go
Satan as an entity is quite real. How religion has painted him is not.

No, you don't get it.
As in, Satan, in all his armor with one black wing, appears before me in physical form and goes, "You know what, Pariah? I'm gonna go kick some racist a.ss"

BFD_Zayl

'tis sad indeed, I feel for the family and the kid. God(s) or not, after I recovered from such an incident, I would pick up a gun and kill. them. all.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Why is your first reaction to blame God? I blame the hateful kids who did this to him, but most of all my heart ached for him and his family. It never once crossed my mind to blame, praise, or even think of God while reading the story.

That you would jump to blaming God shows that you care more about that than you do the poor kid. It's shameful that you would use his tragedy for your agenda.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Why is your first reaction to blame God? I blame the hateful kids who did this to him, but most of all my heart ached for him and his family. It never once crossed my mind to blame, praise, or even think of God while reading the story.

That you would jump to blaming God shows that you care more about that than you do the poor kid. It's shameful that you would use his tragedy for your agenda.
I never said I blamed God. In fact, the other posts I have posted in this thread state quite the opposite. I do not believe there is a "Hands on" God. The question was posed to the people that do. Notice I used the word "supposedly" in the OP.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
The fact that they poured bleach on him was surely significant.

It's why we need the Hate Crimes Bill to pass in the Senate.

What I want to know is, ok the two that tortured him are in jail, what about the many who just stood by and watched? If I were Ritcheson's family I would sue everyone at that damn party, not in order to get rich, but to show that passivity in the face of evil is still evil.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I can agree with this, but the part about God. These are things we should do as part of the human race, relying on ourselves and not a Deity.

Maybe we can compromise a little and rely on the brains that maybe a Deity gave us? :D

If not, I'm cool with relying on ourselves.

I certainly wasn't expecting God to deliver an email with all needed instructions. I thought that's what we had mental capacity for anyway -- so we could go work to figure it out.

Booko

Deviled Hen
The fact that they poured bleach on him was surely significant.

It's why we need the Hate Crimes Bill to pass in the Senate.

Do you think it would provide that much of a deterrent, or is it that it would make it easier to prosecute cases like this? Or something else?

What I want to know is, ok the two that tortured him are in jail, what about the many who just stood by and watched? If I were Ritcheson's family I would sue everyone at that damn party, not in order to get rich, but to show that passivity in the face of evil is still evil.

Dang, I had not thought of that. But are their laws that go after people who stand idly by and can't be bothered to dial 911? Failure to report a crime? Would they be considered accessories for just standing by and committing a "sin of omission"?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Do you think it would provide that much of a deterrent, or is it that it would make it easier to prosecute cases like this? Or something else?
I'm not at all sure it would act as a deterrent. In some cases it would provide for a harsher penalty. But in this case, since I am personally against the death penalty, they got about as harsh a sentence as they could get. I think for me personally, what I want from the Hate Crimes legislation is just the societal acknowledgment that it was a Hate Crime.

Dang, I had not thought of that. But are their laws that go after people who stand idly by and can't be bothered to dial 911? Failure to report a crime? Would they be considered accessories for just standing by and committing a "sin of omission"?
I think there is such a "Good Samaritan" law in Massachusetts. Isn't that what the last episode of Seinfeld was based on?

But nationally there is no such law, which is why I talked about suing instead of criminal prosecution. I think it is much easier to win a case in civil court than it is in criminal court. It's hard to prove the motive of inaction for a criminal prosecution. But imagine telling a jury that the defendant stood idly by and watched while someone was beaten and tortured nearly to death based on race, and did not call for help for TEN HOURS.