• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving as a Secular Holiday

Slapstick

I have heard someone say grace similar to this one and they were a JW, but were with other people of different beliefs and faiths. I thought I would post this here, because it is one of the best ways in my opinion to show gratitude for the holiday.

A secular grace

Let us take a moment to think about where the food we are about to enjoy has come from and to acknowledge those who worked to bring us this food. Let us appreciate the earth, the sun, the air, and the water needed to nourish the plants and animals. Let us thank the farmer who cared for the plants and animals and the migrant worker who toiled to harvest the crops. Let us thank the laborer who processed the food, the truck driver who brought the food, and the grocery store workers who displayed it. Finally, let us thank our friends who prepared this meal and have provided us with the opportunity to be together and share each other's company.

- Herb Silverman, The Washington Post

Can find more here Thanksgiving blessings: Faith-based and secular graces add gratitude to holiday table | syracuse.com

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
thank you. I might use this for this year. better then thank you evolution for turning dinosaurs into our dinner one.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have heard someone say grace similar to this one and they were a JW, but were with other people of different beliefs and faiths. I thought I would post this here, because it is one of the best ways in my opinion to show gratitude for the holiday.

A secular grace

Let us take a moment to think about where the food we are about to enjoy has come from and to acknowledge those who worked to bring us this food. Let us appreciate the earth, the sun, the air, and the water needed to nourish the plants and animals. Let us thank the farmer who cared for the plants and animals and the migrant worker who toiled to harvest the crops. Let us thank the laborer who processed the food, the truck driver who brought the food, and the grocery store workers who displayed it. Finally, let us thank our friends who prepared this meal and have provided us with the opportunity to be together and share each other's company.
Fellow poster Swampy (Swamplizard) once requested an ode to honor the seasonal bird's sacrifice.
I was reminded that the wild turkey is a wily & tough survivor, but the farmed foul is little more
than a giant hunk'o meat on 2 legs. This also ran for the national bird (Franklin favored it over
the eagle.) deserves our notice....

In ancient times when man was new
this noble fowl thru woodlands flew.
Domesticated,
his glory faded.
We grant him honor in our stew.

Last edited: