1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks, US women, for making sure Romney did not get elected.

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Alceste, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,885
    I thought I'd post this in advance, since it's pretty much a statistical certainty at this juncture that Obama is going to win. In fact, one of the bookies is paying out already.

If you're a guy who voted / is voting for Obama, don't feel left out - I appreciate you too. But I've been watching the polls, and I noticed the double digit gender gap between women and men in this election, in Obama's favour. And, ladies, more of you apparently vote than the lads, by about ten million. So I really think you should pat yourselves on the back this time around.

From a Canadian who is really hoping nobody gives my PM an opportunity to drag Canadian soldiers (and taxpayers) into a pointless war, I really appreciate that you've put Bush's foreign policy guys back on the sidelines for another four years. Hopefully most of them will die of old age before they get another kick at the can.

My mother in law wrote from England - another country that tends to get dragged into America's wars - to express how worried she was that Romney might be elected, and I'm sure she appreciates you too. As well as my 93 year old grandma, who prefers Obama after watching the debates.

In acting to preserve your right to work, to earn equal pay, to make your own private health care choices, and in sending a clear message that rape is rape, you've saved the whole world from another disastrous Bush administration, with all its financial instability, war and inaction on climate change. These things affect us all.

So thanks, girls!

• Like Like x 3
  2. R34L1TY

R34L1TY Neurology Nerd.

Ratings:
    +10
    But seriously, why can't you roll down the windows on a plane? Its a real problem

3. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,885
    I know, right!?

4. tumbleweed41

tumbleweed41 Resident Liberal Hippie

Ratings:
    +1,334
    My daughter and wife say, "your welcome".:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,885
    :D Group hug, ladies!

6. Falvlun

Falvlun Earthbending Lemur
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,315
    No problem, Alceste! Was my pleasure. :D

7. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,726
    Religion:
    Druidry
    Hey, voting is my civic duty and I take it at least somewhat seriously. :D

8. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +66,991
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Let me be the first to apologize for dragging them into & prolonging WW2.

9. sandandfoam

sandandfoam Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    No need to apologise, the Soviets saved them.

10. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +66,991
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Uncle Sam & Dyadya Boris were a formidable pain in Hitler's arsch, dat's fer darn sure!

11. Magic Man

Magic Man Reaper of Conversation

Ratings:
    +1,492
    Only after the French made the brilliant tactical move to make Hitler spread out his forces to the point of overextension.

12. Dirty Penguin

Dirty Penguin Master Of Ceremony

Ratings:
    +615
    As a guy and a progressive...I'm on board for women having the right to make their own private medical decisions, I'm for LGBT civil rights including the right to marry, I'm for healthcare for all and for women's equal pay. There's much more but I think you get the gist....I clearly think there's but one choice in this election and it ain't the Norquist/Ryan/Romney ticket....(yes listing them in this order is on purpose)..:D

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Oldest Heretic

Ratings:
    +3,874
    Religion:
    Anglican...heretic
    I will still be worried till the declaration.
    People still need to turn out and vote..

14. tumbleweed41

tumbleweed41 Resident Liberal Hippie

Ratings:
    +1,334
    Amen!

15. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +2,883
    Likewise. :yes:
    And after the paper trail has been fully confirmed.
    Worst case scenario here: But I hope Obama wouldn't roll over and accept an illegal takeover (coupe) as Al Gore and the legislature sadly did in 2000. :(

16. Dirty Penguin

Dirty Penguin Master Of Ceremony

Ratings:
    +615
    This.....:clap

17. oldbadger

oldbadger Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ratings:
    +6,985
    Religion:
    deist
    Uhh? What??? There was me, all asleep and contented. And then.... there was this waffle and drivvle on the screen....!

We never dragged you lot nowhere. These Pacific guys snuck in early one morning and bombed the hell out of you, without any provocation, killing your people and sinking your ships. You think we set that up?

OK.... I'll bet that Churchill did have an extra cigar later that morning, but we never dragged you guys.....

Anyway, you were retired and in a rest-home by then, yes?

18. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,885
    I appreciate you too! Your vote is essential, but there just aren't quite enough of you level-headed lads in the US to have prevented Romney and the Bush cabal getting elected all by yourselves. I see the GOP is already blaming Chris Christie and the hurricane for their defeat. I wanted to be the first to give credit where credit is due.

19. MoonWater

MoonWater Warrior Bard
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +335
    I wish I could be as certain as you alceste but then I think I lost all that hope when prop. 8 in california defied the odds and got passed.(and it wasn't just that it happened but that it happened in one of the most liberal states out there) I can certainly say if romney gets elected it will make me very scared to be a woman in this country, though it's already quite scary when I look at what's going on, particularly with rape(forcible rape my ***!). My university has been having a display of painted shirts hanging from the ceiling of the student center all about "consent is sexy" and "real men don't hit" and other anti-rape anti-abuse messages, but what should be a source of comfort for me has just proved an uncomfortable reminder of what's going on and how much things have been backpedalling lately with women's rights. If the republican party regains control of congress and the white house, which will certainly lead to them controlling SCOTUS, I am truly terrified about what that will mean for myself and the rest of the women in this country.

I'll try to hope, but right now I'm really dreading tomorrow.

20. Riverwolf

Riverwolf Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,285
    Religion:
    Anglo-Saxon(esque) Heathenry
    Well, don't forget that Prop 8 also had a lot of monetary backing supporting it, more than was in favor of it, in addition to people against it not voting for it under the false mindset of "There's no way something this stupid could pass!"

I'm not seeing the same thing this time.