• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks to Democrats, American pride plumbs historic low ahead of the July 4 holiday, new poll finds

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
I think we can let it slide with Trump given his not praying,
Fake news nonsense. Trump prays.
believing he's done nothing that needs forgiven (pretty much the antithesis of Christianity),
Misrepresents the truth of what DT actually said.
and his "two Corinthians."
You're not well traveled. In European churches that's how the scripture books are described. Two Corinthians, etc...

Bob the Unbeliever

In order to know evil (knowledge of good and evil) you have to let evil in. What was the first thing Adam and Eve did?
Adam blamed Eve and god for bringing Eve to him, and Eve blamed the serpent.
Were Abel's blood sacrifices righteous? Look at Ecclesiastes 5:1
5 Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil.​

Adam lied. Eve lied. God lies to Adam and Eve.

Only the SNAKE tells the unvarnished TRUTH.

What is the lesson of Eden? REMAIN STUPID-- KNOWLEDGE IS BAD.

Bob the Unbeliever

If that's what made you an atheist, that kind of thinking, firstly, the one that claimed most atheists know more about the bible than Christians, besides being false , is decidedly false by example in your interpretation of Genesis and the first family of humanity.

Secondly, good luck with that.

Proof that you are wrong, and continue to be wrong at every conceivable level of wrong. Good luck with that.

ecco

Veteran Member
If that's what made you an atheist, that kind of thinking, firstly, the one that claimed most atheists know more about the bible than Christians, besides being false , is decidedly false by example in your interpretation of Genesis and the first family of humanity.

Genesis, as taught in Sunday School when I was ten, was what led directly to my atheism. I realized that the entirety of Genesis was less believable than my comic books.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
Genesis, as taught in Sunday School when I was ten, was what led directly to my atheism. I realized that the entirety of Genesis was less believable than my comic books.
The mistake was you were a literalist. Not even the Jews are literalists.

ecco

Veteran Member
The mistake was you were a literalist. Not even the Jews are literalists.

Are you saying that at age ten I should have told my Sunday school teacher that her teaching of Genesis as literal was ridiculous? I'm quite sure she believed every word of it. I just took her at her word. Why would she lie?

In any case, in some ways, I have more respect for people who take Genesis and all the rest of the Bible as literal than I have for people who pick and choose and make up their own minds. Either it's all true or it's all made up stories. My rational ten-year-old self found that decision was easy.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Back to the OP: Is being "extremely proud" of anything healthy? Wouldn't that bias your perception so you can't perceive clearly and blind you to things that would endanger this "extreme pride?"

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
Are you saying that at age ten I should have told my Sunday school teacher that her teaching of Genesis as literal was ridiculous? I'm quite sure she believed every word of it. I just took her at her word. Why would she lie?

In any case, in some ways, I have more respect for people who take Genesis and all the rest of the Bible as literal than I have for people who pick and choose and make up their own minds. Either it's all true or it's all made up stories. My rational ten-year-old self found that decision was easy.
Oh, I believed my Christian parents and everything they told me.
I know how it is. However, it isn't a reason to turn from faith. Grow , question, learn. But don't give up on God. Because we can call power,creator, anything at all. It doesn't have to be solely, "God". But something is behind all that is, was , or shall be.
For me, my faith is a relationship. Not a dogma. But then again, I've nearly died and I can tell you, we are not alone. So you don't have to believe verbatim any scripture. However, to believe there is nothing is a faith I don't have the courage to hold.

My husband was raised Catholic. When he was about kindergarten age he was in Catechism class. The instructor started talking about the great flood and all that. David was asked what he thought and he asked the instructor, where did all the water go after the flood? He always questioned the bible stories to the point the instructors didn't ask him his opinions anymore.