• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Texas State Rep. Files Bill to Let Teachers Post Ten Commandments in Classrooms"

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
NO!
NO!
NOOOOOOO!
NOT IN THE
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 9.35.02 PM.png
CHAMBERS OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES!

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
BURN IT DOWN! I TELL YOU!!! REVOLUCIOOOOOOOOON! :D That's Spanish for revolution!
:D
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 9.40.00 PM.png

Riders

A Texas Republican has already filed a bill that would allow public school teachers to post the Ten Commandments in their classrooms.

State Rep. Dan Flynn says in HB 307 that “The board of trustees of an independent school district may not prohibit the posting of a copy of the Ten Commandments in a prominent location in a district classroom.”

DanFlynnCommandments.png

BEST CHRISTIAN IN TEXAS

“I think it’s a good idea,” said Flynn. “If a teacher wants to put it in her classroom, she should be able to do it just as if she wanted to put up Halloween, Thanksgiving or any other decorations.

“I think it’s a good list of disciplines that young people would find very meaningful to them.”​
According to the bill, if two thirds of the State House votes in favor of it, it would go into effect immediately; if not, then it would go into effect for the 2019-2020 school year.
source
So, who here is rootin' for the bill?

I'm not I was raised up in Tx. Tx schools are biggoted enough. When I was high school they found out I was transferring from psych wards, the Mesquite school district told my parents to send me back to the psycho ward,they did not want me. Tx school districts have their nose so far up in the air we are better then everyone else attitude.Son of a gun!

Ellen Brown

A Texas Republican has already filed a bill that would allow public school teachers to post the Ten Commandments in their classrooms.

State Rep. Dan Flynn says in HB 307 that “The board of trustees of an independent school district may not prohibit the posting of a copy of the Ten Commandments in a prominent location in a district classroom.”

DanFlynnCommandments.png

BEST CHRISTIAN IN TEXAS

“I think it’s a good idea,” said Flynn. “If a teacher wants to put it in her classroom, she should be able to do it just as if she wanted to put up Halloween, Thanksgiving or any other decorations.

“I think it’s a good list of disciplines that young people would find very meaningful to them.”​
According to the bill, if two thirds of the State House votes in favor of it, it would go into effect immediately; if not, then it would go into effect for the 2019-2020 school year.
source

I don't have an issue with it. Most people don't realize that Islam is almost a carbon copy of Judaism. Today I'm hovering around 2/3 Muslim, so ...

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't have an issue with it. Most people don't realize that Islam is almost a carbon copy of Judaism. Today I'm hovering around 2/3 Muslim, so ...
Well, some people don't believe there's such a creature as god, and might not want their children taught that there is, and how he should be treated. And I think that's reason enough to keep it out of public schools.

TENCOMMAND1_1024x1024.png

And, of course, the Ten Commandments isn't talking about any old god or a god of one's own choosing, but the god of Abraham, a very specific god. Think Christians would like a list of the six systems (ṣaḍdarśana) of Hinduism posted in public school classrooms? Or how about The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth?

satanism-101-45-638.jpg

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

DanFlynnCommandments.png

BEST CHRISTIAN IN TEXAS

source

Glad to see Texas legislators have solved all their infrastructure, law, educational, health and environmental issues to allow them time for this nonsense.

Ellen Brown

Well, some people don't believe there's such a creature as god, and might not want their children taught that there is, and how he should be treated. And I think that's reason enough to keep it out of public schools.

TENCOMMAND1_1024x1024.png

And, of course, the Ten Commandments isn't talking about any old god or a god of one's own choosing, but the god of Abraham, a very specific god. Think Christians would like a list of the six systems (ṣaḍdarśana) of Hinduism posted in public school classrooms? Or how about The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth?

satanism-101-45-638.jpg

Calm down, don't get shouty about it. What if they simply present it as an Archeological specimen? The document is perhaps familiar to most whether they subscribe to it or not.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Calm down, don't get shouty about it.
Ah ha, I must have hit a raw nerve, ;)

What if they simply present it as an Archeological specimen?
And what if they don't? And an "archeological specimen"? Hardly. All it is are the supposed words of god as related in a religious text.

The document is perhaps familiar to most whether they subscribe to it or not.
But it isn't a document at all, but as I said, the supposed words of gods as related in a religious text.

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

I must have hit a raw nerve, ;)

And what if they don't? And an "archeological specimen"? Hardly. All it is are the supposed words of gods, as related in a religious text.

But it isn't a document at all, but, as I said, the supposed words of gods, as related in a religious text.

What ever.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Calm down, don't get shouty about it. What if they simply present it as an Archeological specimen? The document is perhaps familiar to most whether they subscribe to it or not.

I would agree that context is important.
But...ya know...Texas.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming at least in many cases its there because God is the light and the truth, and kids need the big fella in their lives.

Which can be left outside of a secular school, IMHO.

Ellen Brown

I would agree that context is important.
But...ya know...Texas.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming at least in many cases its there because God is the light and the truth, and kids need the big fella in their lives.

Which can be left outside of a secular school, IMHO.

When I see the 10 commandments, I flash back on "The 10 Commandments" with Charlton Heston. :) There is a Jewish Synagogue up on the hill from me and they have a set of tablets that must be 50 feet high. I think they are pretty. As to anyone subscribing to it, I don't care.

Prestor John

DanFlynnCommandments.png

BEST CHRISTIAN IN TEXAS

source

It's an independent school district, so they don't have as many limitations.

I honestly don't care one way or the other.

I believe that all children should already know the Ten Commandments before ever going to school so there is no real need to post them up there.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
When I see the 10 commandments, I flash back on "The 10 Commandments" with Charlton Heston. :) There is a Jewish Synagogue up on the hill from me and they have a set of tablets that must be 50 feet high. I think they are pretty. As to anyone subscribing to it, I don't care.

More than happy for the synagogue to have them.
Secular schools are different though. They should only be there if they are part of inclusive religious studies, or examining early legal codex.

I hear you on Charlton Heston, though. I get the same image!!