• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Texas State Rep. Files Bill to Let Teachers Post Ten Commandments in Classrooms"

Skwim

Veteran Member
A Texas Republican has already filed a bill that would allow public school teachers to post the Ten Commandments in their classrooms.

State Rep. Dan Flynn says in HB 307 that “The board of trustees of an independent school district may not prohibit the posting of a copy of the Ten Commandments in a prominent location in a district classroom.”

DanFlynnCommandments.png

BEST CHRISTIAN IN TEXAS

“I think it’s a good idea,” said Flynn. “If a teacher wants to put it in her classroom, she should be able to do it just as if she wanted to put up Halloween, Thanksgiving or any other decorations.

“I think it’s a good list of disciplines that young people would find very meaningful to them.”
According to the bill, if two thirds of the State House votes in favor of it, it would go into effect immediately; if not, then it would go into effect for the 2019-2020 school year.
source

So, who here is rootin' for the bill?

A Texas Republican has already filed a bill that would allow public school teachers to post the Ten Commandments in their classrooms.

State Rep. Dan Flynn says in HB 307 that “The board of trustees of an independent school district may not prohibit the posting of a copy of the Ten Commandments in a prominent location in a district classroom.”

DanFlynnCommandments.png

BEST CHRISTIAN IN TEXAS

“I think it’s a good idea,” said Flynn. “If a teacher wants to put it in her classroom, she should be able to do it just as if she wanted to put up Halloween, Thanksgiving or any other decorations.

“I think it’s a good list of disciplines that young people would find very meaningful to them.”​
According to the bill, if two thirds of the State House votes in favor of it, it would go into effect immediately; if not, then it would go into effect for the 2019-2020 school year.
source
So, who here is rootin' for the bill?

Im rootin.

Not only hang the ten commandments up, but the teacher should explain each commandment if students ask questions :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It could be wonderfully educational. Each classroom could have different religious displays: Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Jewish... Perhaps combined with classroom exercises, with different prayers, rituals, &c.
Maybe students could get extra credit by attending different churches, mandirs and mosques and doing a classroom presentation.

What possible objection would anyone have?
:rolleyes:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm thinking, "Church and state..." Hmmmm. Something's ringing a bell...

What is genuinely frightening is that he is likely one of the smarter folks in his district.

So in the spirit of things I suppose any teachers who happen to be Hindu or Muslim or Baha'i etc. will likewise be encouraged to display writings from their religion in the classroom?
Call me silly, but I doubt that these deep thinkers have that in mind.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Bad example. Moses is one of several mythical law givers on the Supreme Court frieze. One cannot cherry pick for one religion. That would violate church/state separation.

That wasn't what the post was about. Are you moving the goal post?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
OMG! I MUST move to China.

View attachment 25946

Why?
Is it because of your love of totalitarianism?

Meh, regardless...
That was added to the 2c piece as a way of relieving the US of the ignomity of heathenism.
It was also intended to claim that God was on the side of the Union.

These are obviously very traditional aims. Are you suggesting you support them? Or is it just a more general 'God is Good' thing?

I guess it depends somewhat on how you divide up the world. Dualistic beliefs tend to worry me, even when they appear 'good' due to the dehumanising effect they can have on our views of outsiders.

In terms of the issue at hand, I could see some value in showing different base laws for behaviour and then getting the kids to determine and own a class conduct poster, outlining their shared views on how people are to be treated within the room.

Sadly, I doubt that is the intent here. As always with these discussions, there can be talk about how 'our laws and morals are based on these'.

But the examples of stealing and murder aren't where this gets controversial. Talk of 'other Gods' or 'graven images' is.