• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas pastor openly calls on 'Christian nationalists' to 'impose their values on society'

Last I checked Japan was primarily Shinto and Buddhist.
I sincerely doubt China of all places was a Christian nation at any point, like my guy it’s China after all

Good point. But are you saying that people in China have good human rights and the taxes are used well in there?

I think the development in China and Japan also is because of the former Christian nations. And that is because of Christianity, western countries became wealthy. And that wealth unfortunately went to wrong hands that saw it beneficial to move industry to places where there is less worker rights and cheaper labor. And to boost that business of theirs, they have implemented all kind of "climate" rules that benefit their companies in China, while it destroys industry in western countries and makes them poor.

Respectfully, I think this comes to my original point. For some people they can find other people of the same sex attractive that way, as well as those of the opposite sex. As I said, human sexuality is along a spectrum, not hard clean divisions the way we like to categorize things as this or as that. So for those who can relate to those feelings of same-sex attraction more than others, but are given a powerful negative message from their community that those are "bad" or evil, or sin, etc., then they may very well repress those feelings as "wrong" in themselves.

In today's society it seems to be the opposite. The message encourages to be homosexual rather than heterosexual. And I think it is interesting shift. However, I think that something is called "negative message" doesn't necessary mean it is not true.

Now regarding what you quoted from Leviticus, I'd like to say a few words. I know that there are certain groups of Christians, fundamentalists in particular, who treat the OT law as of equal voice and importance as the NT teachings. But if that were true, then why did Christ have to come? Just follow the OT, and be done with it. Paul wrote at length in Hebrews (or whoever the author actually was), about that very point.

Bible tells why Jesus came. He came to declare forgiveness. If we say, nothing is wrong, would there be any need for forgiveness?

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, Because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim release to the captives, Recovering of sight to the blind, To deliver those who are crushed, And to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”
Luke 4:18-19

He didn't come to declare "from now one you can do whatever you want, the law is revoked". Instead, he said:

“Behold, you are made well. Sin no more, so that nothing worse happens to you.”
John 5:14
"Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:17-19

And a new covenant was established through him that puts the law of God to the participant's "heart".

For finding fault with them, he said, "Behold, the days come," says the Lord, "That I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah; Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers, In the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; For they didn't continue in my covenant, And I disregarded them," says the Lord. "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel. After those days," says the Lord; "I will put my laws into their mind, I will also write them on their heart. I will be to them a God, And they will be to me a people. They will not teach every man his fellow citizen, Every man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' For all will know me, From the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness. I will remember their sins and lawless deeds no more."
Hebrews 8:8-12 (Jeremiah 31:31-34)

And even Paul says that the law is good.

But we know that the law is good, if a man uses it lawfully,
1 Tim. 1:8

And I agree with it. I think the law is good. It shows a good way to live. It is not given as burden, but as good guide for healthy life.

However, this doesn't mean one must follow the law to earn salvation. No one can earn salvation by doing so.

That may be true, even in non Christian nations. And what do people do who want to help? They pay taxes so the government can help, impartial and nation wide (aside from guaranteeing justice, security and infrastructure).

They could help much more, if the government would not take its vast part of the donations.

And you really believe that's the case? If so, what's it based on?

In the two previous elections votes were counted until a democrat wins. Even if they didn't cheat, it makes the elections not trustworthy for me.

However, maybe it is better, if Trump is not selected. I think he made mistakes while he was the president. But that is not the problem itself, probably most people make mistakes. For me the problem is, if he doesn't recognize them and so he understands that and doesn't want to do the same mistakes again.

Still, I think Trump did a great job in exposing hypocrites. And deserves to be remembered as a hero because of that.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
Maybe, it certainly looks like many companies want to become the government,

You're still not getting it. The companies would be taking a step DOWN by becoming governments... they want the money to buy and sell governments... and some of them already have it.

because then they can force people to take their vaccines for example. I think it is very important to not let the companies to become the government. Unfortunately, it seems to be already very much so. And in this case, it is no more capitalism, but fascism.

You're really not getting it - fascism is what happens when the government controls the companies and uses them to enforce its own will...

... IOW, exactly what you've been apparently rooting for, whether you realize it or not.

It is almost funny how "capitalistic" world is becoming more and more fascistic, but the same is basically in "communistic" China. Only the way how government and companies become tied is little different.

Capitalism reaching its inevitable conclusion. Companies use their profits to secure resources to increase their profits further...

... and what's a more profitable resource to own than a few government officials?

Pure capitalism is not unstable. The instability comes when government is involved to control everything. There is no good reason to think capitalism requires constant growth.

No reason except actual history, that is.

"The Market" goes up today, down tomorrow. Prices are based on supply and demand, which are unpredictable. The Market booms and busts... you can make a fortune, or possibly lose everything.

is that a result of the government's interference, or the system working exactly as it is meant to?

As for growing, follow me on a lesson in Capitalism 101:

The company spends money (expenses) to produce a product or service to sell to the consumers, correct?

The money it has left over after paying its expenses is the profit, which gets invested back into the company, right?

And what does the company do with the money it invests in itself? It grows. It develops the means to produce more of its goods or services.

Because the company has grown bigger, it now has more expenses to cover, which means that in order to make a profit, it needs more money to sustain itself. So not only can it produce more, it must sell more, or else it loses money.

It's like a living thing - the bigger it gets, the more it must eat.

"Capitalism is an economic system based on the private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit."
Capitalism - Wikipedia

That's nice. Your point?

Heyo

Veteran Member
They could help much more, if the government would not take its vast part of the donations.
But would they? And you missed two important points: unbiased and nationwide. The government has the oversight over the whole country and a mandate to be impartial, which no single person or company has. A country with high taxes and high social security is a just country. People like justice (and security). Ask the Scandinavians. They have among the highest taxes, the best social security and are rated the happiest year after year.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
Many people already call him the worst President ever because he failed so entertainingly. I don't think he deserves that place as Dubyah led the US into two wars on lies and cost the US taxpayer on the order of $ 5 trillion. Trump couldn't have failed that hard if he tried.

Agreed - Donald turned the presidency into a circus and in so doing somehow managed to lower the standing of both professions.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Many people already call him the worst President ever because he failed so entertainingly. I don't think he deserves that place as Dubyah led the US into two wars on lies and cost the US taxpayer on the order of $ 5 trillion. Trump couldn't have failed that hard if he tried.

Fir much of history, I think the worst presidents have mostly been do- nothing presidents. This generation said, "Hold my beer."

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point. But are you saying that people in China have good human rights and the taxes are used well in there?.
Honestly I’m largely unfamiliar with China’s tax practices because I don’t live there and I don’t really trust the PR they put out into the world. Though I’m under no delusions about how controlling China’s Government is.

I think the development in China and Japan also is because of the former Christian nations. And that is because of Christianity, western countries became wealthy. And that wealth unfortunately went to wrong hands that saw it beneficial to move industry to places where there is less worker rights and cheaper labor. And to boost that business of theirs, they have implemented all kind of "climate" rules that benefit their companies in China, while it destroys industry in western countries and makes them poor.
China and Japan literally predate Christianity though. Just how old you think Jesus is? Relative to world history I mean.
For Christian nations to be involved in their wealth development, they would have had to come from foreign lands after both countries (China and Japan) had already been very well established in human history. As well as their respective cultures and religious development. And it’s not like either country was poor either at such a time. Conquering nations (including those involving early Christians) would be purposefully seeking out such prosperity before deciding to invade. Though I don’t know if they were successful if they invaded Japan or China, given their warrior like history.

Unless I’m misunderstanding you?

As for Climate Change policies, I don’t think God would want us to completely trash his creation. Seems a bit disrespectful to me, but whatever.
Not entirely familiar with these policies you’re referring to though. Care to elaborate further?

vulcanlogician

I think the worst presidents have mostly been do- nothing presidents. This generation said, "Hold my beer."

But, insofar as "doing nothing" is the best way to proceed on a given issue, you'd think we would have some good "do nothing" presidents to speak of. You might rightly call Bill Clinton a "do nothing" president. Maybe even Obama. It could be argued that the beneficial things that happened during either of those presidencies "happened around" either of those figures rather than was "caused by" them.

For example, Gay Marriage could be credited to the Obama presidency. But Obama was not really a champion of gay marriage as much as he could have been. When the writing was on the wall that the peoples' attitude had shifted on the issue he was on board with embracing the change.

Isn't that the textbook definition of "do nothing"? And yet, aren't we glad to have had Obama in that spot rather than some other person who might have interfered with the process?

I think you're selling "do nothing" presidents short. They're plenty useful, and often necessary for progress.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In the two previous elections votes were counted until a democrat wins. Even if they didn't cheat, it makes the elections not trustworthy for me.

However, maybe it is better, if Trump is not selected. I think he made mistakes while he was the president. But that is not the problem itself, probably most people make mistakes. For me the problem is, if he doesn't recognize them and so he understands that and doesn't want to do the same mistakes again.

Still, I think Trump did a great job in exposing hypocrites. And deserves to be remembered as a hero because of that.
I don't think that you know how elections work. In elections they count all of the votes and then that is how they decide who the winner is.

Sometimes one party leads for a good part of the counting process, but still loses when all of the votes are counted. That does not make the election unreliable.

Tell me, do you think that the Democrats should have won Ohio in the last Presidential election? The Democrats led for most of that counting process because that state counted their mail in ballots first. Should they have stopped early or should they have counted all of the votes?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Why do you think that's what happened??

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, I don't see anything in the Bible that indicates a wager. Can you give a specific scripture that makes you to think there is a wager?

I don't see any reason to think they are innocent.

In this case I think it is important to look how God "hardened Pharaoh's heart". It happened by ending a plague. Every time plague ended, pharaohs heart was hardened. Now, was it evil from God to end the plagues, should he have kept them going eternally so that pharaohs heart would not have hardened?

Classic and typically-biblical victim-blaming and justification of collateral damage.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As for Climate Change policies, I don’t think God would want us to completely trash his creation. Seems a bit disrespectful to me, but whatever.
When I was a Christian, this newsletter I got one month explained how we Global Warming is nothing to worry about. We can use the Earth as we have been because Jehovah made it for us and said we can, and as for the Warming part that's not actually greenhouses gases and carbon emissions but Jehovah fulfilling prophecy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Feel free to remember Donald as your hero. History will not be so generous.
History and authors of all stripes have already well informed us of the floods of hypocrisy in politics.
It's though many of his supporters never really paid attention much before Trump. Like how elections work. It seemed like 2020 we learned they apparently haven't ever paid attention to how the news has done things for longer now than any of us have been alive.