• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas pastor openly calls on 'Christian nationalists' to 'impose their values on society'

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Classic and typically-biblical victim-blaming and justification of collateral damage.
The story of their god punishing people for acting on a lie that one of his own prophets said (Abraham lying about Sarah not being his wife but instead his sister) is one of my favorites. It shows not only how entirely unreasonable their god can be, it shows the profound depths and lengths Christians will go to flip this around to defend their god.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
History and authors of all stripes have already well informed us of the floods of hypocrisy in politics.
It's though many of his supporters never really paid attention much before Trump. Like how elections work. It seemed like 2020 we learned they apparently haven't ever paid attention to how the news has done things for longer now than any of us have been alive.

Ignorant and lazy is a bad combination -- once someone like Donald told them how it was "supposed" to work, it saved them the hassle of finding out for themselves.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In anything that shows their religion to be wrong the normal response is to hide one's head in the sand, not to try to learn.
It's not really hiding their head in sand but an entirely different perspective on Global Warming. It's not denying it's happening. It's saying it's happening because it is their god fulfilling prophecy.
It's that sort of mentality those such as Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins writes about when he discusses the dangers of religion and how it distort worldviews in such a way. They tend to get criticized for doing this, and people try to dismiss them as alarmist and misinformed, but they're really not. They clearly don't have a Christian understanding of the Bible, but very much they do see the problems it causes. This idea of Global Warming being a fulfillment of prophecy is one such dangerous idea.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's not really hiding their head in sand but an entirely different perspective on Global Warming. It's not denying it's happening. It's saying it's happening because it is their god fulfilling prophecy.
It's that sort of mentality those such as Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins writes about when he discusses the dangers of religion and how it distort worldviews in such a way. They tend to get criticized for doing this, and people try to dismiss them as alarmist and misinformed, but they're really not. They clearly don't have a Christian understanding of the Bible, but very much they do see the problems it causes. This idea of Global Warming being a fulfillment of prophecy is one such dangerous idea.
I was thinking more about its causes or what will happen in the future. But it seems that there is a constant death wish among the Witnesses or close to one. What have there been, like 6 end of the world predictions from them? Worse than Harold Camping.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ignorant and lazy is a bad combination -- once someone like Donald told them how it was "supposed" to work, it saved them the hassle of finding out for themselves.
I feel that may be over simplifying things. A great many of his supporters were alive during and paying attention to the 2000 election, for example. How does this factor into their views of 2020?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was a Christian, this newsletter I got one month explained how we Global Warming is nothing to worry about. We can use the Earth as we have been because Jehovah made it for us and said we can, and as for the Warming part that's not actually greenhouses gases and carbon emissions but Jehovah fulfilling prophecy.
Ironically, it was my Christian cousins who would fervently try to get me to join their “global warming protests” under the guise that God would punish us for destroying his gift for us. So the least we could do was to warn others

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ironically it was my Christian cousins who would fervently try to get them to join their “global warming protests” under the guise that God would punish us for destroying his gift for us
I have seen that too and I much prefer it. Not all Christians believe that the end is here so there is no point in saving the Earth. In fact I would say that it is a minority with that view.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I have seen that too and I much prefer it. Not all Christians believe that the end is here so there is no point in saving the Earth. In fact I would say that it is a minority with that view.
Yes, it’s easy to box Christians into one category. But they are pretty varied and there’s a lot of interpretations. Even ignoring the various sects that have arisen.

Even my school Chaplains varied widely through the years. Some were seemingly very pessimistic about our “spiritual prospects” others seemed very “hippy like” and others still seemed quite hopeful and grateful to be alive. All reactions to their personal faith.
Though I went to public school, they were often at least on campus. Obviously the more relaxed variety of Chaplain proved far more popular among the students than the more rigid ones lol

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Many people already call him the worst President ever because he failed so entertainingly. I don't think he deserves that place as Dubyah led the US into two wars on lies and cost the US taxpayer on the order of $ 5 trillion. Trump couldn't have failed that hard if he tried.

There was no President worse than Ronald Reagan. He was the one who shifted the course of the country to what it is now, which includes gross fiscal irresponsibility, widening trade deficits, even larger disparties between rich and poor, the dismantling of American industry, the deterioration of our infrastructure, significant declines in quality of education and healthcare, and the general wrecking of our economy. All of the stuff with Trump, the escalating dissension and apparent threats to our democracy that we're seeing today could have been (and should have been) predicted 40 years ago. (Actually, some people did predict that Reagan's policies would lead us to where we are now.)

TLK Valentine

I feel that may be over simplifying things. A great many of his supporters were alive during and paying attention to the 2000 election, for example. How does this factor into their views of 2020?

You're assuming it does.

Remember, they won 2000, what could they possibly learn except the ends justify the means?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Looking from the outside. Americans don't apply fighting a good fight by any one group.

All projecting slanging matches upon the person instead of putting forward the best claim for America's spiritual governing.

As a thoughtful I'm just a human so are you reality.

Your founding father is a native American Indian...who historic probably was once before technology a darker or lighter skinned man.

As DNA in every nation changed.

He taught mutual non slavery acceptance as you came from enslaving rich countries. You took away human rights.

As your forefather he teaches his commandments are about earth not just about nation.

You don't heed his six generations future survival plan...act together to achieve healing of mind body. Don't act against your owned humanity.

Why do you think that's what happened??

"Maricopa County takes, on average, 10 to 12 days to fully tally ballots after each election. State law gives election officials until Nov. 28 to finish counting for the Nov. 8 election. The more last-minute early ballots received, the longer it can take to count votes and determine tight races, officials say. This year, the county received a record number of roughly 290,000 early ballots dropped off on Election Day and fully finished counting in 13 days."
As counting ends in Maricopa County, new battles begin in Arizona (usatoday.com)

By what I know, for example Florida, that has more people, counted the votes in one day. Even third world countries count faster than Maricopa.

China and Japan literally predate Christianity though. Just how old you think Jesus is? Relative to world history I mean...

I understood we were speaking of modern China and Japan that have changed a lot after industrialization, which has developed a lot after big western companies moved their factories to there, because of cheap labor and less environmental restrictions that would make production more expensive and profits smaller.

But would they? And you missed two important points: unbiased and nationwide. The government has the oversight over the whole country and a mandate to be impartial, which no single person or company has. A country with high taxes and high social security is a just country. People like justice (and security). Ask the Scandinavians. They have among the highest taxes, the best social security and are rated the happiest year after year.

Won't last long, if they continue this path. It is now heavily funded by debt and when it is not possible anymore, everything will be much worse. And as I live in Finland, I don't think government is really doing a good job.

Government should be impartial; I don't see that they are. All governments seem to do what the highest bidder demands them to do, for example to sell more "vaccines".

...fascism is what happens when the government controls the companies and uses them to enforce its own will...

iu

Merging of corporations can happen in two ways, like in communist country, or like in capitalist system, where the owners of the companies also own the politicians and so have both under their control, government and the companies.

...And what does the company do with the money it invests in itself? It grows. It develops the means to produce more of its goods or services.

Because the company has grown bigger, it now has more expenses to cover, which means that in order to make a profit, it needs more money to sustain itself. So not only can it produce more, it must sell more, or else it loses money.

It's like a living thing - the bigger it gets, the more it must eat.

But the growth is not something that must be. Company could exist as well even without any growth. Normally it is just not good enough for the greedy people who insatiably want more money and power.

TLK Valentine

iu

Merging of corporations can happen in two ways, like in communist country, or like in capitalist system, where the owners of the companies also own the politicians and so have both under their control, government and the companies.

And weren't you the one complaining about government corruption? Guess what it is that corrupts government?

Money.

Guess who has the money?

Corporations.

and yet you trust the puppetmasters over the puppets. How amusing.

But the growth is not something that must be. Company could exist as well even without any growth. Normally it is just not good enough for the greedy people who insatiably want more money and power.

You just described every CEO and investor in every corporation.

Don't you remember your words? "Companys [sic] are mainly motivated by money." You showed a rare gift for understatement -- corporations are formed for the sole purpose of making money.

Why do corporations grow? So that they can Make. More. Money.

Do you really think they're not going to do the thing that leads to literally the only reason for their existence? Bless your heart.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
"Maricopa County takes, on average, 10 to 12 days to fully tally ballots after each election. State law gives election officials until Nov. 28 to finish counting for the Nov. 8 election. The more last-minute early ballots received, the longer it can take to count votes and determine tight races, officials say. This year, the county received a record number of roughly 290,000 early ballots dropped off on Election Day and fully finished counting in 13 days."
As counting ends in Maricopa County, new battles begin in Arizona (usatoday.com)

By what I know, for example Florida, that has more people, counted the votes in one day. Even third world countries count faster than Maricopa.
You claimed that they stopped counting votes when the Dems won. How does this demonstrate that in any way?

I think you answered your own question here about why Maricopa country took extra long to count all the ballots:
"This year, the county received a record number of roughly 290,000 early ballots dropped off on Election Day ..."

But again, I'm wondering how you think this demonstrates that they just stop counting when Dems have won.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You're assuming it does.

Remember, they won 2000, what could they possibly learn except the ends justify the means?
It's the fact the media coverage of the election then was a thing. That's why i said your post seems to over simplify things because there is more than that just going on. I doubt everyone harping about the media calling the election in 2020 missed where the media coverage, especially of Florida, was just normal stuff done every election despite the trainwreck of Florida that year.