• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas pastor openly calls on 'Christian nationalists' to 'impose their values on society'

wellwisher

So we can set aside morality as a question now. It's not that homosexuals are any more or less moral than anyone else, but that them finding those of the same sex to be attractive is illogical or irrational to you. Correct?

Morality is not about the choices of the individual. Morality is about choices that optimize the group. "Thou shall not steal", does not benefit the choices of the thief. This commandment was designed to make the group less stressed; one less thing to worry and become defensive about.

Relative morality is about individual choices. These may be good for that person; thief really wants to steal. However, this choice will make it harder for the group to feel optimize. If some choose to steal, you now have to be on edge.

The fact is, some people are attracted to others in different ways. If this is out of the norm, in any circle, it can be stressful on the cohesion of the group; ugly duckling.The moral thing to do would be figure out a way to have your cake and eat it. This might require staying more on the low, so you can choose, while trying to not make people uncomfortable, leading to a back lash. The goal of desensitization is not working. The stress level is on the rise as is the rhetoric.

The Left waves too much dirty underwear in the moral majority group's faces, The stress caused a backlash; over sensitized instead of desensitized. This made a relative morality exercise, immoral. since the group is splitting at the very seams the Democrats tampered with.

Homosexuality has been around for centuries, but it stayed on the low, so the larger group would not dwell on it, and those who made such a choice could still have room to choose. What people do not know does not bother them.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I would say, person doesn't necessary consciously choose always to what he is attracted. For example, if we again compare this to eating, person may live in place were everyone eats lot of olives.
I don't disagree with this. In fact, this very much is inline with understanding what cultural relativism is about. I know a lot of conservatives don't like that concept, but it is true nonetheless. Cultural conditioning plays a major role in the things we find aesthetically pleasing, the value's systems we hold, etc.

We are programmed by our families and our culture to believe, act, and think in certain ways. You should be familiar with the saying from Proverbs. "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it". Even back then, they understood the natural of cultural conditioning.

However, cultural conditioning, while a major factor, is not the sole defining factor in our personality development. If it were, we would all be identical to each other, with little to no differences. I know there are groups that are very much about forcing everyone to look and act and be the same, as a form of social control. Things like shunning and casting them out of the group, are meant is motivating through fear of rejection. But even though people on the surface may in fact all conform to the "norm", whatever that norm is, most of that is not who they really are to the core.

We are born with different personalities, and you can have children born to the same parents and the same culture, growing up together, be a different as night and day. In fact, like that study of identical twins showed, you may have one be straight and the other one gay. Same parents. Same genetics. Same cultural conditioning. Different outcomes. Different people.

So it's not, definitely not a matter of proper training, or improper learning that accounts for these differences. Some of these differences come from really who knows where. Science doesn't have all the answers, and religious speculation is even less helpful in the majority of cases. "His parents sinned, that's why this man was born blind!".

The person learns to like them, olives become to associated with good friends and nice situation. All those things make olives attractive to him, because they have the taste the person is used to and also by the association to good times.
Yes and no. It's true someone can develop a taste for certain foods. Take coffee for instance. A lot of people can't stand the taste of it, but then they develop a taste for it. In that case, a lot of that has to do with the stimulant caffeine in it. Same thing with alcohol consumption.

But certain foods will never taste good to certain individuals because of their biology. Take cilantro for instance. Unlike its relative parsley, to some people cilantro tastes like eating soap. I have one friend like this. There is no way that they would ever learn to like the taste of soap in their mouths. At best, they could learn to maybe tolerate it, if they had no choice. But given the choice, they would never eat it.

We don't choose them all, but we can think what the reason is why we see something as attractive.
To some extent, yes, but to some extent no. I don't believe kissing someone who has rotting teeth in their mouth who never even attempts to brush their teeth is something that someone can learn to like. Tolerate, maybe, but like, no. ;)

And when person understands the reasons, he can also change his attraction, if he thinks it is good to do so.
I don't disagree that we can in fact change our minds about certain things, if we honestly examine them. But if someone finds something genuinely repulsive, it's beyond unlikely that they could be conditioned to ever like it or want it. I can hear them saying they would rather die than to have to learn how to like a certain thing. For some people, death might be preferable.

And if person can't change it, it is because he doesn't want to do so. Please notice, I don't mean to blame anyone. I understand that it can be difficult. But anyone who would really want to change his course, can do it.
Certain things, many things, this is true about. We can get rid of our prejudices of others for instance though examining why we hold these irrational views of others and be honest with ourselves about our own underlying fears and insecurities. Change is in fact very possible. But I don't believe that means we can change our very core of our innate personalities we are born with.

I personally have undergone significant transformation of how I think and react and believe and act in the world. But once all that cruft has been brought into the light and come to terms with, underneath all of that "sin" or insincere or inauthentic personality traits, is in fact the authentic person. The true "self" that is my innate, and unique personality in this world.

And here's the thing. You don't want to get rid of that! Trying to deny that, trying to disown that, is what in fact causes an inauthentic, insincere, conflicted self trying to deal with contradictions of what others say we should be, and who we know ourselves legitimately, on a deep true honest level to actually be.

The problem for so many homosexuals in society is being sent the message to disown something that is genuinely who and what they are by birth, from whatever mysterious source that may be that makes them who they are, before and beyond all of the programming of society. It is not proper to think of homosexuality like, say an urge to be violent towards others. It is not some antisocial tendency, or a pathology that needs fixing.

Cultural programming is a double edge sword. It can be helpful to "train up a child in the way he should go", but it can also seriously damage a child be using that to attempt to change them into something society wants them to be, against who there actually, by nature, by God, genuinely are. An example of this, is historically trying to force left-handed people become right-handed.

Forced use of the right hand

Due to cultural and social pressures, many left-handed children were forced to write and perform other activities with their right hands. This conversion can cause multiple problems in the developing left-handed child, including learning disorders, dyslexia,[12] stuttering[13][14][15] and other speech disorders.[16] Shifts from left- to right-handed are more likely to be successful than right to left, though neither have a high success rate. Successful shifters are more likely to become ambihanded than unsuccessful ones.[17] Conversions can be successful with consistent daily practice in a variety of manual activities, but though activity in the non-dominant left-hemisphere of the brain will increase during tasks, so too will activity in the dominant right-hemisphere. Consistent left-handers have no higher activity in these task centers than converted left-handers, so it may be inferred that "attempts to switch handedness by educational training far from weakening the functional expression of lefthandedness in higher-order motor areas of the (dominant) right hemisphere in fact enhance it."[18]

Many Asian countries force their children to become right-handed due to cultural perceptions of bad luck associated with the left hand. In India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Indonesia, it has traditionally been perceived as "rude" behaviour to use the left hand for eating, as the left hand is commonly used for tasks considered "unclean".

Bias against left-handed people - Wikipedia
This is EXACTLY the same problem with some of these terribly misguided Christian groups with their conversion therapy treatments trying to fix gays. The reasoning behind it is as misguided as those who see left-handedness as a sign of "evil". It is exactly the same as that.

As I said, I agree there are many things we can in fact change by choice, and you raise valid points about that. But there are also things that we cannot change, nor attempt to change, such as left-handedness. Cultural conditioning can be a tool to help, but it can also cause damage when used to try to fix what doesn't need fixing.

In my opinion it is not good to pigeonhole people to something on basis of attraction, because it locks them to some setting and makes them think that is just how it is, and they have no power to change it.
Then think of it terms of natural tendencies, like right-handedness. That's a better analogy. Some people are just wired differently and use the left-hand instead of the larger percentage of the population who are wired naturally to use their right-hands. These are not learned behaviors. Homosexuality is not a learned behavior. So therefore, you can't change it. As I said, at best you can conceal it, hide it, hate yourself for it because others call it evil, or compenate for it by trying to be a hetrosexual, the same way a leftpaw, tries to fit in by imitating right-handed behaviors. But they are still, and will always be a lefty. They were born that way.

I think the biggest problem in this is, it is not good choice for them. To confirm it is ok, is like saying, "yes, it is ok if you try to eat through your ear, because it is also hole in your head". I think it is not good to be harsh, but also accepting something that is not good for a person is not good.
Are you familiar with the Serenity Prayer from A.A. groups?

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference".​

That is exactly correct here. The "Wisdom to know the difference." Something cannot be changed, and the true test of faith in service of Peace, from God, is in accepting ourselves as we are, knowing what cannot be changed about us, finding the courage in us, being granted that strength from God to face the things we can change, and the Wisdom to discern the difference between those.

One's own homosexuality, is one of those things that Wisdom shows isn't something you should try to get rid of, if that is who you truly are. And the path to Serenity, or divine Peace, is found in self-acceptance. This is a true for anything in ones life. It's finding your authentic self, the one that stands naked and honestly before that divine Truth itself, not the self you think others think you should be.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Morality is not about the choices of the individual.
Is homosexuality a choice? Is left-handedness a choice? Is it immoral to be left-handed, because the majority of everyone else is right handed and thinks you shouldn't be left-handed, that there is something wrong with you because you're left-handed?

The real question is, who is immoral in this case? Those who are left-handed, or the right-handed people who tell them that they are deviants and immoral for being born differently?

Morality is about choices that optimize the group.
So it is moral to attempt to convert left-handed people to fit into a right-handed group, because left-handedness is not optimal for that group's self-identity? Maybe the problem here is with that majority group's unrealistic expectation of conformity to the group in denial of something people are born as, and their stubborn unwillingness to bend and allow other's differences to be part of themselves?

"You must be like me, for me to love and accept you." This is that sentiment that Christianity was originally intended and meant to overcome in ourselves in our responses to other, not something for Christianity to become themselves.

Relative morality is about individual choices.
Since homosexuality isn't a choice, then it has nothing to do with morality. Unless you want to say that acting upon it is what is morally wrong, not being homosexual? I know some like to get around this fact with that argument, but that's like saying using your left hand as a left-handed person is something, even if that is how they were born, they should not ever act upon, because others consider being different immoral. Right?

The fact is, some people are attracted to others in different ways.
Correct. It's not a choice.

If this is out of the norm, in any circle, it can be stressful on the cohesion of the group; ugly duckling.The moral thing to do would be figure out a way to have your cake and eat it. This might require staying more on the low, so you can choose, while trying to not make people uncomfortable, leading to a back lash. The goal of desensitization is not working. The stress level is on the rise as is the rhetoric.
So this is the real crux of the matter here. This being "forced" to accept gays, is really about the majority coming to terms with their own biases and prejudices. They want the status quo, at all costs. That is about them. Not those outside the group. "Don't tell me I have to accept others who don't fit the norms I'm used to! What right do they have to come out and demand I accept them as they are?"

I'm sorry if that's a bit harsh, but it really does boil down to this. "If you want to be gay, fine. Just don't expect me to accept you in society if you aren't straight like the rest of us." Compare this to other rejected groups in society historically, like blacks and white in the same schools. It's all the same thing. "Don't push your racial integration stuff on us! We don't want our children in the same schools as black children".

The Left waves too much dirty underwear in the moral majority group's faces,
Do you know that this whole "moral majority" business was started by Jerry Falwell Sr. in response to racial integration laws? That's where this whole political empire of White conservative Evangelical got in bed with the GOP to pass laws that keep that status quo in place, deliberately stoking divisions in culture over things like abortion and gay rights for the purpose of political power to force their ways of life on a growing diverse culture. It was all in response to the Civil Rights movement.

It call comes from that same source. Whether it's "Don't ram your liberal values on us,", with things like gay rights, abortion rights, or blacks with civil rights.

This is a great documentary movie to watch, if you care to lift the hood on that engine and look inside to see what really is being that "Moral majority" empire's engine. It's called "God Forbid"

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Is homosexuality a choice? Is left-handedness a choice? Is it immoral to be left-handed, because the majority of everyone else is right handed and thinks you shouldn't be left-handed, that there is something wrong with you because you're left-handed?

The real question is, who is immoral in this case? Those who are left-handed, or the right-handed people who tell them that they are deviants and immoral for being born differently?

So it is moral to attempt to convert left-handed people to fit into a right-handed group, because left-handedness is not optimal for that group's self-identity? Maybe the problem here is with that majority group's unrealistic expectation of conformity to the group in denial of something people are born as, and their stubborn unwillingness to bend and allow other's differences to be part of themselves?

"You must be like me, for me to love and accept you." This is that sentiment that Christianity was originally intended and meant to overcome in ourselves in our responses to other, not something for Christianity to become themselves.

Since homosexuality isn't a choice, then it has nothing to do with morality. Unless you want to say that acting upon it is what is morally wrong, not being homosexual? I know some like to get around this fact with that argument, but that's like saying using your left hand as a left-handed person is something, even if that is how they were born, they should not ever act upon, because others consider being different immoral. Right?

Correct. It's not a choice.

So this is the real crux of the matter here. This being "forced" to accept gays, is really about the majority coming to terms with their own biases and prejudices. They want the status quo, at all costs. That is about them. Not those outside the group. "Don't tell me I have to accept others who don't fit the norms I'm used to! What right do they have to come out and demand I accept them as they are?"

I'm sorry if that's a bit harsh, but it really does boil down to this. "If you want to be gay, fine. Just don't expect me to accept you in society if you aren't straight like the rest of us." Compare this to other rejected groups in society historically, like blacks and white in the same schools. It's all the same thing. "Don't push your racial integration stuff on us! We don't want our children in the same schools as black children".

Do you know that this whole "moral majority" business was started by Jerry Falwell Sr. in response to racial integration laws? That's where this whole political empire of White conservative Evangelical got in bed with the GOP to pass laws that keep that status quo in place, deliberately stoking divisions in culture over things like abortion and gay rights for the purpose of political power to force their ways of life on a growing diverse culture. It was all in response to the Civil Rights movement.

It call comes from that same source. Whether it's "Don't ram your liberal values on us,", with things like gay rights, abortion rights, or blacks with civil rights.

This is a great documentary movie to watch, if you care to lift the hood on that engine and look inside to see what really is being that "Moral majority" empire's engine. It's called "God Forbid"
IMO, it's just another example of "blind faith" whereas subjective religious teachings trump actual science, in this case basic genetics.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
IMO, it's just another example of "blind faith" whereas subjective religious teachings trump actual science, in this case basic genetics.
I know I referenced this passage from the Bible, but it bears repeating in itself. The religious way of thinking is that these things that are inexplicable to them, being ignorant of science, become attributed to things like "sin". They blame the parents or they blame the person for being different.

John 9:1-3:

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.
Even Jesus' own disciples were guilty of assuming that trap of the "religious answer" to blame someone for that person's status at birth. Presuming they know the mind of God and how the natural world should work, since they have the scriptures to tell them everything they need to know about everything.

I love Jesus' answer to them is basically saying, "Oh knock it off. Don't even try to understand these things. It's above your heads. Quit blaming people for who they were born as." Perfect answer to Christians in this case too, I believe.

...Taxes go to good things like sewer, police, sidewalks, roads, libraries, etc.

I believe part of it goes. But larger part goes for the corrupt elite and their friends. If the system would not be corrupt, taxes could be much lower.

Thanks, that is interesting. Difficult to believe trump could win. Democrats can count the votes long enough to get the right result. I don't believe there is any chance for winning for anyone who is not from the establishment, or the ruling elite, "deep state".

But, about this: “Donald Trump can’t save America,” Mike Evans told the Washington Post. “He can’t even save himself.”. Yeah, if they are Christians, their savior should be Jesus rather than any other man. And at this point it looks America can't be saved, it will have similar end as all other great empires have had.

The problem for so many homosexuals in society is being sent the message to disown something that is genuinely who and what they are by birth, from whatever mysterious source that may be that makes them who they are, before and beyond all of the programming of society. It is not proper to think of homosexuality like, say an urge to be violent towards others. It is not some antisocial tendency, or a pathology that needs fixing.

Cultural programming is a double edge sword. It can be helpful to "train up a child in the way he should go", but it can also seriously damage a child be using that to attempt to change them into something society wants them to be, against who there actually, by nature, by God, genuinely are. An example of this, is historically trying to force left-handed people become right-handed...

Sorry, I don't think sexual orientation is the inner core of a person. The traits that can lead to that orientation may be, but the same traits can lead also to other outcomes.

...Then think of it terms of natural tendencies, like right-handedness. That's a better analogy. Some people are just wired differently and use the left-hand instead of the larger percentage of the population who are wired naturally to use their right-hands. These are not learned behaviors. Homosexuality is not a learned behavior. So therefore, you can't change it. As I said, at best you can conceal it, hide it, hate yourself for it because others call it evil, or compenate for it by trying to be a hetrosexual, the same way a leftpaw, tries to fit in by imitating right-handed behaviors. But they are still, and will always be a lefty. They were born that way...

But they can learn to use right hand as well. Using left hand is not harmful. That is why I think there should not be any reason to change that. And even if something is harmful, I think people should not be forced to reject it. Forcing some change doesn't cause a real change, it often probably only makes things worse. In every attempt for change, it should come from good reasoning. And if there are no good reasons, the change is not necessary.

Of course it's no acceptable for them to break the law. And laws protecting minors is a valid law, because minors can be easily taken advantage of by adults. Same thing with any laws protecting vulnerable citizens, such as the elderly.

But when we are talking about homosexuality, that applies to adults in a mutually consensual relationship. So that is no reason to make that illegal. No minor or vulnerable adult is being harmed. Legislating your ideas of morality on others, is frankly unChristian. Does God force you to be a Christian, or is that by invitation? If God doesn't force others, then why should we? What is that about, beyond our own egos?

Ok, thank you, so there is some higher value than attraction. We can limit people to act on their attraction. I am not going to limit anything, I am just saying that it would be best, if people don't do things that are not good for them, even if they have attraction. This is also for heterosexuals, it would be good, if also they would not do things that are not good for them.

...Then there is one other problem to consider. The woman's seual parts themselves. After age 40, they are typically unable to reproduce, so therefore it's sexual purpose if finished. It no longer serves that purpose for reproduction, and therefore couples over say the age of 40 should be mandatorily required by law to stop having sex with those parts of their bodies which no longer serve the sexual function.

Even if the sexual parts don't work properly, they still are designed for certain purpose and using them for that is not unreasonable.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Please give one example.
Look at this:
19734.jpeg

from Infographic: Income Tax Around The World

and search those countries on this map:
Poverty Rate by Country 2022

In all the countries with the highest taxes, poverty is very low.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sorry, I don't think sexual orientation is the inner core of a person. The traits that can lead to that orientation may be, but the same traits can lead also to other outcomes.
You think you could have become homosexual, if your parents raised you to be one? Or if you had been exposed to other openly gay people who were accepted by others, while you were growing up? Do you see yourself as you could have gone either way, but chose to only act on your hetrosexual inclinations?

Personally, I can't see how I could have gone either way, depending on my upbringing. But I do understand that may the case for others. They just don't act on that part of themselves and push it away. For me, there was nothing to push away, so that was never any issue. But I was just born that way.

But they can learn to use right hand as well. Using left hand is not harmful.
Did you read the article I posted? It very clearly explained how some see left-handedness as harmful, and they try to force people to be right handed, and it also doesn't work effectively, and can in fact cause harm. Since we are having a discussion about this comparing it this idea about retraining homosexuals to be hetrosexuals, it's worth your looking at this again.

For your convenience: Bias against left-handed people - Wikipedia

Forced use of the right hand

Due to cultural and social pressures, many left-handed children were forced to write and perform other activities with their right hands. This conversion can cause multiple problems in the developing left-handed child, including learning disorders, dyslexia,[12] stuttering[13][14][15] and other speech disorders.[16] Shifts from left- to right-handed are more likely to be successful than right to left, though neither have a high success rate. Successful shifters are more likely to become ambihanded than unsuccessful ones.[17] Conversions can be successful with consistent daily practice in a variety of manual activities, but though activity in the non-dominant left-hemisphere of the brain will increase during tasks, so too will activity in the dominant right-hemisphere. Consistent left-handers have no higher activity in these task centers than converted left-handers, so it may be inferred that "attempts to switch handedness by educational training far from weakening the functional expression of lefthandedness in higher-order motor areas of the (dominant) right hemisphere in fact enhance it."[18]

Many Asian countries force their children to become right-handed due to cultural perceptions of bad luck associated with the left hand. In India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Indonesia, it has traditionally been perceived as "rude" behaviour to use the left hand for eating, as the left hand is commonly used for tasks considered "unclean". [reliable source??] In a 2007 study in Taiwan, about 59.3% of children studied had been forced to convert from left-handedness to right-handedness. The study took into account economic status of the children's families and found that children whose parents had less education were more likely to be forced to convert. Even among children whose parents had higher levels of education, the conversion rate was 45.7%.[19] Among naturally left-handed Japanese senior high school students, only 0.7% and 1.7% of individuals used their left hand for writing and eating, respectively,[20] though young Japanese are more likely to convert to using chopsticks right-handed than forks or spoons (29.3% to 4.6%). The proportion of females subjected to forced conversion is significantly higher compared to males (95.1% to 81.0%).[3]

I think you should see a direct comparison here to conversion therapy notions being misguided and harmful practices. They are largely unsuccessful, and at best they make someone "ambidextrous", not right-handed. At best, you can take a gay man and make him learn to act like a hetero, but they are still innately gay, the same as a left-handed person is innately a leftpaw.

That is why I think there should not be any reason to change that. And even if something is harmful, I think people should not be forced to reject it. Forcing some change doesn't cause a real change, it often probably only makes things worse. In every attempt for change, it should come from good reasoning. And if there are no good reasons, the change is not necessary.
So you agree then that trying to tell homosexuals to not be homosexuals, or trying to convert them to be hetrosexuals, is wrong because it is trying to force them to be something they are not? I agree, that no change really happens when someone is forced to conform. That is why I reject threatening people with hellfire and damnation is a path of good. Telling gays they are going to hell, is forcing them out of fear of the flames of hell to be something they are not, for instance.

As a Christian, I never understood those who converted because they were afraid of being sent to hell. To me, that's not really a response to God's Love, is it? It's a response to their own fear of being terrorized by God. That's not going to last, is it? What are your thoughts to this?

Ok, thank you, so there is some higher value than attraction. We can limit people to act on their attraction. I am not going to limit anything, I am just saying that it would be best, if people don't do things that are not good for them, even if they have attraction. This is also for heterosexuals, it would be good, if also they would not do things that are not good for them.
I agree people should not do things that are not good for them. But who is it decided for them what is good or not? I mean, I get the whole following the Law of Love, and being out of true with that leads to error. "Love is the fulling of the Law", says Paul, and Jesus as well. I agree with this.

But when other Christians decide what is bad for others, and tell them they are not following God.... well, that crosses that line out of the Love of Love, into the law of our own ideas of good and bad for others. Then I come straight back to Jesus' principle of taking the beam out of your own eye first, before straining at the speck in the eye of another.

So, as I referred to two consenting adults of the same sex having a mutually supporting intimate relationship with each other, who is being harmed here? You? Karen down the street? How does that work? Because they do things that you wouldn't personally yourself? This isn't the Law of Love that Jesus taught, is it?

Even if the sexual parts don't work properly, they still are designed for certain purpose and using them for that is not unreasonable.
But this is still straining to make your argument work. The second you as a hetrosexual uses any other part of your body on your partner's body, such as nibbling on their ear to excite them sexually, you are using a part of your body not designed specifically for sex, in sexual ways. It's not wrong for you. Then how is it wrong for homosexuals to do exactly the same thing? Your argument really doesn't hold water in this.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.

Perhaps, but who is in the best position to determine what is or is not part of their own "inner core"?
The people themselves, or outside observers?

But they can learn to use right hand as well. Using left hand is not harmful. That is why I think there should not be any reason to change that. And even if something is harmful, I think people should not be forced to reject it. Forcing some change doesn't cause a real change, it often probably only makes things worse. In every attempt for change, it should come from good reasoning. And if there are no good reasons, the change is not necessary.

And since homosexuality is not inherently harmful, there is no reason to change that, or be forced to reject it, either.

I certainly agree that people should avoid any sort of sexual shenanigans that would be harmful to themselves or others -- but I don't see how homosexual acts are in any way inherently worse.

It's not about being "reasonable," it's about not being harmful.
We humans are a creative bunch -- we have a long history of using just about everything we come across for purposes they were not designed for... and far more often than not, we find a new and interesting use for them.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
But, about this: “Donald Trump can’t save America,” Mike Evans told the Washington Post. “He can’t even save himself.”. Yeah, if they are Christians, their savior should be Jesus rather than any other man. And at this point it looks America can't be saved, it will have similar end as all other great empires have had.

It wouldn't be the first time people of faith compromised their beliefs in a time of (real or imagined) crisis... and it won't be the last.

The Israelites got behind a golden calf; the Evangelicals got behind an orange windbag.

On a side note, what exactly is it that America needs to be saved from?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If this is out of the norm, in any circle, it can be stressful on the cohesion of the group; ugly duckling.
Bull! That's no different than the arguments that expect autistic people to mask and act like a neurotypical. But we've come to learn that's bad for those with autism, and not only that the group doesn't benefit as much as it could if autistics are just allowed to their selves and excell in areas were they naturally excell.
Or like telling a Southerner to lose the accent outside of the South. It's an absurd request, but lots of people outside the South do look down on those with a Southern Accent.
Or when someone tells me to use my right hand. Even though if I'm using my left hand for something (no has said this regarding right handed usage) I have my reasons and it's probably working out better anyways.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Morality is not about the choices of the individual. Morality is about choices that optimize the group. "Thou shall not steal", does not benefit the choices of the thief. This commandment was designed to make the group less stressed; one less thing to worry and become defensive about.

Relative morality is about individual choices. These may be good for that person; thief really wants to steal. However, this choice will make it harder for the group to feel optimize. If some choose to steal, you now have to be on edge.

The fact is, some people are attracted to others in different ways. If this is out of the norm, in any circle, it can be stressful on the cohesion of the group; ugly duckling.The moral thing to do would be figure out a way to have your cake and eat it. This might require staying more on the low, so you can choose, while trying to not make people uncomfortable, leading to a back lash. The goal of desensitization is not working. The stress level is on the rise as is the rhetoric.

The Left waves too much dirty underwear in the moral majority group's faces, The stress caused a backlash; over sensitized instead of desensitized. This made a relative morality exercise, immoral. since the group is splitting at the very seams the Democrats tampered with.

Homosexuality has been around for centuries, but it stayed on the low, so the larger group would not dwell on it, and those who made such a choice could still have room to choose. What people do not know does not bother them.

If you expressed that in Denmark, you would be out of the norm. Or in your words an ugly duckling, who had to stay on the low. Your rule applies to you for some cultures. In yours I would be the ugly duckling. In mine it would be you.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
The fact is, some people are attracted to others in different ways. If this is out of the norm, in any circle, it can be stressful on the cohesion of the group; ugly duckling.

So basically I have to hide my existence so that I don't "stress out" the group?

No. Not happening. Like Shadow Wolf said, I'm not going to assimilate myself to a made up standard of "moral" or "normal" because some people might be uncomfortable. That goes for anyone outside of what society calls normal, including neurodivergent as was previously given as an example.