• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Law Banning Abortion After About Six Weeks Takes Effect

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Wow, and why is that a bad thing?
It's irrational. "The fetus doesn't need it, so the fetus can't be denied it." It makes no sense.

He or she is a human being. Killing him is murder.
Well, since you say the fetus is viable, inducing a live birth wouldn't be "murder," would it?

I mean, your whole premise is that the fetus can survive outside the womb, right?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
It's irrational. "The fetus doesn't need it, so the fetus can't be denied it." It makes no sense.
What you just said doesn't make sense. If I plunge a pair of scissors into a newborns skull I'll be justly sent to prison. But if a " doctor" does it while the baby is still partially inside his mother it's perfectly legal in many places.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
My ex-wife and I tried to have kids. She had several first-term miscarriages.

On none of those occasions did her Catholic family - or even her priest - respond as if an actual baby had died.

On the other hand, I was having coffee with one of my friends about a month ago or so, and she referred to the miscarriage she'd had after her two children. She asked the doctor if she'd lost a boy or a girl, she wanted to know. She lost a girl, and my friend (a Christian) believes that daughter she couldn't keep is waiting for her in heaven. My mom (a Catholic) had two miscarriages, and she too believed they would be waiting for her in Heaven. My mom is passed away now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And so the woman looses her bodily autonomy because of this? Should we force bone barrow transplants upon all people in case children need them? Should we donate our kidney's to be put on ice in the case a child needs it?

Women, as well as men, have a right to bodily autonomy.
A friend was anti-abortion, but he found this argument
so compelling that he had no counter argument.
He said it's tough being both a Christian & libertarian.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And yet viability is the term used to define the point to where many states allow abortion.

Look at the first table at this link:

An Overview of Abortion Laws
Not mine. Canada has no legal restrictions on abortion whatsoever, which is how I think it should be.

Practical access to abortion is something we still need to work on, but at least the law is where it should be.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
On the other hand, I was having coffee with one of my friends about a month ago or so, and she referred to the miscarriage she'd had after her two children. She asked the doctor if she'd lost a boy or a girl, she wanted to know. She lost a girl, and my friend (a Christian) believes that daughter she couldn't keep is waiting for her in heaven. My mom (a Catholic) had two miscarriages, and she too believed they would be waiting for her in Heaven. My mom is passed away now.
Were either of them offered their church's regular bereavement group? Were either offered the option of a "death" notice in the church bulletin?

In general, people don't treat miscarriages the way they'd treat the death of an actual child.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Were either of them offered their church's regular bereavement group? Were either offered the option of a "death" notice in the church bulletin?

In general, people don't treat miscarriages the way they'd treat the death of an actual child.

There are such things as miscarriage support groups, did you know that?

Shakeel

Viability is a very strange place to draw the line on abortion. Effectively, you're arguing that because the fetus could survive outside the womb, it's entitled to remain in the womb.
It's because when a normal human being with that thing called a heart knows that there is something inside them that they could hold and that could live and grow and develop, she feels happy and wants to see that living being live - others want to see the living being dead.

Shakeel

Miscarriage is a loss before week 20. Is a stillborn at 35 weeks not an actual child?