• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas begins jailing border crossers on trespassing charges

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel for the plight of these people, but they are trespassing.

True, although it's pretty obvious that this is just political grandstanding on Abbott's part, along with his pledge to continue building the Texas portion of Trump's wall. And as the article indicated, they're only arresting single adult males, not families, since they clearly want to avoid any scandals about kids in cages. So, they're selective about enforcement, too.

The irony is, the Republicans never wanted to truly deal with the problem of illegal immigration in the first place. Too many businesses have grown to depend upon illegal labor. But they don't want to make them legal either, because then the workers won't be as vulnerable and easy to prey upon.

They really should go after the employers of these undocumented workers. That is, if they're really serious about solving the problem they're claiming to want to solve. I don't think they are, and this is yet another sham. A showpiece for the masses, while still continuing business as usual.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
They knew what they were getting into at least to some degree.
The same could be said of my ancestors when they crossed into what is now the US without permission of the existing population. They are breaking the law by trespassing, but most are coming here to make a better life. Still, we have a duty to support the law no matter how much or little we care for it.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
True, although it's pretty obvious that this is just political grandstanding on Abbott's part, along with his pledge to continue building the Texas portion of Trump's wall. And as the article indicated, they're only arresting single adult males, not families, since they clearly want to avoid any scandals about kids in cages. So, they're selective about enforcement, too.

The irony is, the Republicans never wanted to truly deal with the problem of illegal immigration in the first place. Too many businesses have grown to depend upon illegal labor. But they don't want to make them legal either, because then the workers won't be as vulnerable and easy to prey upon.

They really should go after the employers of these undocumented workers. That is, if they're really serious about solving the problem they're claiming to want to solve. I don't think they are, and this is yet another sham. A showpiece for the masses, while still continuing business as usual.
Camp dogs gotta bark. Politicians gotta put on a show.

I have seen various estimates that indicate that illegals contribute to the economy, because all those businesses higher them.

It isn't like the supply side of this has the only people breaking the law.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you propose that illegals be supported if they can't work?

That wasn't what I was proposing. In the sentence just after the one you quoted, I said "That is, if they're really serious about solving the problem they're claiming to want to solve."

The illegals could probably be granted amnesty or some kind of reprieve if they cooperate with the authorities in the event their employer is busted. I'm not saying they would be left out in the cold or put in prison.

As for the long term problem, we have to look to our neighbors to the south, to the countries and governments from which these people are coming. We need to work closely with them to help better the conditions of their countries so that their standards of living are high enough so as to reduce the desperation and urgency to cross over the border illegally.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I call it the argument over moths that keeps flying into the flames.
Except they are not moths, they are people. I can't support flaunting the law, but I don't want to see poor people miss out on the opportunities my poor ancestors found here either.

I am sort of stuck in the middle on this.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Except they are not moths, they are people. I can't support flaunting the law, but I don't want to see poor people miss out on the opportunities my poor ancestors found here either.

I am sort of stuck in the middle on this.
People solve their own problems or at least find a way to adapt and even overcome.

They are going to have to graduate from being moths to being people.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Being an illegal immigrant is a crime. Trespassing is a crime. That's how borders work.
That is the cold, hard reality of it. I am happy that we have laws, but I am not necessarily happy about how this is all working out.

Fortunately, I don't have to face a position where breaking the immigration laws of another country might be an option. While seeing the issues and feeling empathy, I am still rather detached from the reality of it.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
People solve their own problems or at least find a way to adapt and even overcome.
Illegal entry into another country is a solution. Not a legal one, but still it is a solution. However, if you fix up your own house, you may find it is nicer to live in does seem to be what you are saying.

They are going to have to graduate from being moths to being people.
There has never been a time when they were not people. Just unfortunate, poor and vulnerable people looking for something better.

Dehumanizing them does not make the less human. It just makes the dehumanizer less human.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Camp dogs gotta bark. Politicians gotta put on a show.

I have seen various estimates that indicate that illegals contribute to the economy, because all those businesses higher them.

It isn't like the supply side of this has the only people breaking the law.

Oh, I definitely believe they're contributing to the economy, but it's kind of like an underground economy. It's shady. My only point would be is that we should bring it out into the open.

Fact is, we really can't enforce the letter of the law here. There are too many people here illegally to just round them up, and besides, that would be too cruel and unconscionable. And, as many have pointed out, it would be disruptive to the economy to just pull them out of the workforce. Let's just call a general amnesty and establish some kind of legalized, controlled guest worker program. We shouldn't have to waste resources playing cat and mouse at the border or in the cities of America where the undocumented workers live. This is ridiculous.

We can work with Mexico and the nations of Central America to come together and implement real solutions. We would probably get a lot further diplomatically if we made and kept a promise to treat their countrymen fairly and humanely.

We Never Know

No Slack
Texas begins jailing border crossers on trespassing charges - ABC News (go.com)

I heard they were going to start doing this, arresting migrants for whatever minor offense they can find.

They're holding them in an empty state prison. A lot of the border counties are small with limited resources, so their jails are not big enough.

They said they're not arresting family units, only single adult men.

My only opinion on this is take care of the homeless and needy here before we allow others to come in.
In short if my neighbours kids were hungry I would want to feed them but I'm going to make sure my kids are fed first.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Several reasons....
Work
Freedom from threats
Family
Antique engine shows
In short: incentive.
And there is enough incentive to try it illegally over going the legal route.
Make it illegal to work without permit and enforce that against immigrants and employers, make it easy to get a permit, et voila, your illegal immigration "problem" is solved. But that is not the goal, is it?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
That may be true for countries that are literally one person's property, such as Liechtenstein, Monaco, Sealand, or that weird farm in Australia. But as far as I know, the US is no person's private property.

Do we have any proof at all that the people imprisoned have been factually violating specific people's property rights?
Point of order, the Principality of Hutt has reconciled with the Australian government and no longer proclaims itself a separate nation.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Seems relevant; BRPROUD | Man who spent $30 million building wall between US and Mexico is looking for a buyer for the wall
Man who spent $30 million building wall between US and Mexico is looking for a buyer for the wall
1400x-1.jpg