• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Testing this psychology forum

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If it's not against the rules, I wanted to make this post to test whether the psychology forum is coming up under my New Threads while navigating different parts of the site and if it isn't, to take a picture to prove it isn't.

I hate to make a thread just for this though. So maybe I'll add a question... what is your understanding of psychology and have you taken any college or post high school studies on the subject?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It appears on the Front Page but only on the Front page. When you click off the Front Page and visit other threads in the whole list that shows all threads, it won't show under New Threads at bottom.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
If it's not against the rules, I wanted to make this post to test whether the psychology forum is coming up under my New Threads while navigating different parts of the site and if it isn't, to take a picture to prove it isn't.

I hate to make a thread just for this though. So maybe I'll add a question... what is your understanding of psychology and have you taken any college or post high school studies on the subject?
Some counseling classes and a basic University Psychology class about 10, 20, 30 35? years ago? :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
@KAT-KAT, this is a known “bug” in the software. We are actively working toward resolving the issue, as there are two known forums this is affecting.

Thank you for your vigilance in bringing this to our attention.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
So maybe I'll add a question... what is your understanding of psychology and have you taken any college or post high school studies on the subject?

It is the science of mind and behaviour. It is the subject I took a B.Sc (Bachelor of Science) degree in at university. I am not a bug.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Have an amateur interest in such, from the early 1960s, and hence have read as much as interests me or catches my attention. And often tend towards reading material from psychologists as a preference over many others, even when it seems outside their domain of expertise. Not sure I have gained that much, apart from realising that our minds are rather complex and often so vulnerable too.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
This research may be outdated at this point, but I read that parents have pretty little say over what their children actually become in ideology. Of course, the explanation was more complex than that, but I don't have the material on hand.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I was a psych major at Uni, my wife works in the industry. She was previously a case manager, now works in an oversight body attached to Department of Justice and Community Safety.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
This research may be outdated at this point, but I read that parents have pretty little say over what their children actually become in ideology. Of course, the explanation was more complex than that, but I don't have the material on hand.
Regarding the political possibilities - well my parents were working class - father a carpenter and mother working in a hospital whilst I was growing up - such that both might be expected to support the leftist side (Labour here in the UK), but I'm not so sure about much of this. My father seemed to be more Conservative in older age, possibly something that this demographic is more inclined to, but can't say what my mother might have preferred. I have two brothers, the eldest seemingly being more right-wing (perhaps stemming from his inclination towards those with money), whilst the middle one perhaps was/is more left-wing (never really discussed such with him but he was more inclined to thinking), and I have always been more inclined towards the Left.

As personalities we varied quite a bit, which seemed to puzzle my mother at times, with my eldest brother perhaps being the most confident and me the least, with the middle brother being the most stable and least likely to get into any trouble. However, I did the best academically, even if I failed at this (given my potential), and the middle brother perhaps also, since he no doubt could have done better too.

Not really sure what our parents contributed, other than my mother seeming to me as being a lot more intelligent and wise than my father, and given what she apparently endured as a child, something rather remarkable to have overcome and to have dismissed.

As to any religious ideology, well my mother (and father, who just seemed disinterested) didn't seem to impose any particular belief on us. For which I am truly grateful - not that this would inevitably have determined such.