• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrorist incident in Surrey, England. Police are guarding Mosques there.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Please could a moderator assist with directing this to any better section of RF. Thank you.

The above just seen on BBC teletext news.
Several News websites are reporting this now.
I show just one of several below.
Please enter the link it to google because it might not open directly from RF.

Police treat stabbing of 19-year-old man in Surrey as a terrorist incident

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Police-treat-stabbing-19-year-old-man-Surrey-terrorist-in...

3 hours ago - Police launch terror probe and step up patrols outside mosques after ... man was stabbed in Surrey on Saturday night in a terrorist incident ...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Please could a moderator assist with directing this to any better section of RF. Thank you.

The above just seen on BBC teletext news.
Several News websites are reporting this now.
I show just one of several below.
Please enter the link it to google because it might not open directly from RF.

Police treat stabbing of 19-year-old man in Surrey as a terrorist incident

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Police-treat-stabbing-19-year-old-man-Surrey-terrorist-in...

3 hours ago - Police launch terror probe and step up patrols outside mosques after ... man was stabbed in Surrey on Saturday night in a terrorist incident ...

I wouldn't trust a word the mail prints so checked this out on real news sites.

Surrey stabbing a ‘terrorist’ incident ‘inspired by the far right’, police say - Independent.ie

Police declare terrorism incident after teenager stabbed in Surrey

Terror investigation after man stabbed

sooda

Veteran Member
Nationalism is always ugly.

Nationalist leaders of 20th-century nation states

Stanyon

WWMRD?
They have a lot of stabbings in England, why is this one incident so important?
Looks like the "five eyes" have a new enemy to justify further surveillance on the population.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Nationalist leaders of 20th-century nation states
You've missed off all the EU states, the US and other '1st world countries from that list.
Nationalist has re-branded itself as Popularist

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The number of white nationalist terror incidents keeps going up.

Yes, it appears to be the case.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2019...aland-shooter-white-nationalism-united-states

But as evidenced by reports from civil liberties groups and American justice officials’ own data, domestic terrorism, specifically white supremacy, is on the rise in the United States.

Data released earlier this month by the Anti-Defamation League shows white supremacists’ propaganda efforts increased 182 percent last year, with 1,187 distributions across the US in 2018, up from 421 total incidents reported in 2017.

The number of racist rallies and demonstrations also rose last year: The ADL data released in February shows at least 91 white supremacist rallies or other public events attended by white supremacists were held in 2018, up from 76 the previous year.

Other evidence of the resurgence of white nationalism and related right-wing extremism in America abounds:

• Right-wing extremists were linked to at least 50 murders last year, a 35 percent increase over 2017, ADL revealed in January
  • The number of hate groups operating across the US rose to a record high of 1,020 last year, the Southern Poverty Law Center revealed in February. This made 2018 the fourth-straight year of hate group growth, and revealed a 30 percent increase following three consecutive years of decline near the end of the Obama administration.
  • Most terrorist attacks in the US in 2017 were thought to be motivated by right-leaning ideologies. Out of 65 incidents, 37 were tied to racist, anti-Muslim, homophobic, anti-Semitic, fascist, anti-government, or xenophobic motivations, Quartz revealed through data compiled and released in August 2018 by the Global Terrorism Database.
And the US government’s data shows a worrisome increase in extremist violence as well. The number of hate crime incidents reported to the FBI increased about 17 percent in 2017 compared with the previous year, according to bureau’s annual report released in November:

• According to the report, the most common bias categories in single-bias incidents were race/ethnicity/ancestry (59.6 percent), religion (20.6 percent), and sexual orientation (15.8 percent).
  • In addition to the 7,106 single-bias incidents reported last year, there were also 69 multiple-bias hate crimes reported.
It’s not only an issue in the US. According to CBS, far-right attacks in Europe jumped 43 percent between 2016 and 2017.

sooda

Veteran Member
You've missed off all the EU states, the US and other '1st world countries from that list.
Nationalist has re-branded itself as Popularist

I agree that nationalism is rebranding as populist, but its still a pernicious ism.. Neither is healthy patriotism.

Was it JFK who said "a rising tide lifts all boats"?

All Americans need to move forward and have better lives..

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
OB, sounds like this chap was rather off his rocker.

True!
But then the Terrorist attack in Holland.

After some of the attacks with so many victims, the smaller attacks don't seem to make headlines, even.

Let's see how things develop, or not.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
They have a lot of stabbings in England, why is this one incident so important?
Looks like the "five eyes" have a new enemy to justify further surveillance on the population.

All the stabbings in the UK are important. We should be able to read about every one.

I reckon that sentences for being 'found in possession of an offensive weapon' will be attracting much more ferocious penalties before very long.

We don't mind the intense CCTV coverage in public and private premises here. It's a protection for all but thugs and villains.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes..... fair enough.
I picked one of several reports.

I'm not a Daily Mail fan.

Never pick the daily mail, even Wikipedia considers it a fake new rag and will not accept any reports it makes as a reference