• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terminal Lucidity (clarity just before dying)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The subject line for the web site is misleading Do People Suddenly Gain Clarity About Life Just Before Dying? but the content is fascinating to me:

Nahm gives the example of a 91-year-old woman who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease for 15 years:

“The woman had long been unresponsive and showed no signs of recognizing her daughter or anyone for the previous five years. One evening, she started a normal conversation with her daughter. She talked about her fear of death, difficulties she had with the church and family members, and then died a few hours later.”
Mid-twentieth century palliative care pioneer Elisabeth Kübler-Ross (1926–2004) apparently noted the same thing in some patients: “‘We observed that these patients with dementia and so on, they suddenly lighten up, or they become clear again shortly before this.” Such episodes can last anywhere from a few minutes to several days.
In essence, terminal lucidity is a mysterious flash of life and vitality that occurs in people just before they die. It’s most remarkable in people who have dementia, Alzheimer’s, meningitis, brain damage, strokes or were in a coma. There’s no known medical explanation for where this sudden surge of vitality and functionality comes from. In large part because as suddenly as it comes, within a few hours or even a day or two, it fades and the person dies, taking any answers with them.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think you have to be dying for that.

Lucidity is an amazing phenomenon.

I remember once where suddenly the most complex mathematical calculations became crystal clear to me. I discovered answers that I couldn't understand before and then I woke up.

Back to my stupid ole self again. Lost it all.

Really interesting topic.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The subject line for the web site is misleading Do People Suddenly Gain Clarity About Life Just Before Dying? but the content is fascinating to me:

Nahm gives the example of a 91-year-old woman who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease for 15 years:

“The woman had long been unresponsive and showed no signs of recognizing her daughter or anyone for the previous five years. One evening, she started a normal conversation with her daughter. She talked about her fear of death, difficulties she had with the church and family members, and then died a few hours later.”
Mid-twentieth century palliative care pioneer Elisabeth Kübler-Ross (1926–2004) apparently noted the same thing in some patients: “‘We observed that these patients with dementia and so on, they suddenly lighten up, or they become clear again shortly before this.” Such episodes can last anywhere from a few minutes to several days.
In essence, terminal lucidity is a mysterious flash of life and vitality that occurs in people just before they die. It’s most remarkable in people who have dementia, Alzheimer’s, meningitis, brain damage, strokes or were in a coma. There’s no known medical explanation for where this sudden surge of vitality and functionality comes from. In large part because as suddenly as it comes, within a few hours or even a day or two, it fades and the person dies, taking any answers with them.

I wonder if this has any ties to meditative phenomena, like how one can sometimes feel like they have experienced a more "Real" reality, that leads to life changing insight sometimes (the outward signs of this tend to be an increase in clarity, communication skills, and a lust for life).

(ie these people have had a peak mediative experience, which occurs at time of death, but retreat from it one last time, or for the first time), bringing all the subconscious undercurrents to the surface with it. Usually, unresolved problems with friends family, work etc. Before they fully submit.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Sounds like some sort of brain chemistry issue.....like NDE's where some people have incredible delusions when a dying brain becomes flooded with chemicals that create all manner of encounters with a light or people who have passed...or even Jesus. Their descriptions are often very detailed and profound.

My grandfather had been very ill for some time and was bed ridden, yet one morning he got up as if nothing was wrong and asked for breakfast because he was hungry. My grandmother couldn't believe her eyes, and as she turned to fulfill his request she heard him fall. And he had died that quickly.

What an amazing piece of technology is our brain? We are still only on the fringes of knowing how it all works....