• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple Visits

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Tonight is the 21st day of the 21 day Vinayaka Vratam festival. One dear family I know well celebrates it. One particular song is sung at temple for 21 days straight. This family has been celebrating it for at least 25 years now, a continuation from back home. Appamma was the main ingredient, but she passed away a few years back, so the family, partly in her honour, continued it. Occasionally they are joined by others, but tonight there is a homa and Ganesha parade for the last day.

May all enjoy the bliss of the darshan of He with One Tusk.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
cute-ganesha-images-1yy.jpg

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I didn't want to start a new thread for this since I'm not really sure I have a point. =)

I just wanted to share my excitement. I'm going to India in less than a month! It will be a quick trip - too quick - but I am very excited. I'm going with my mother in law, who found out from my husband a few months ago that I'm Hindu. She seems to have accepted it. At least she's given me no trouble about it, and she seems to be getting more excited about the trip as well. I am eager to visit as many temples as I can - I'm even considering taking the Delhi metro to do it! (from what I've read it is fairly convenient and safe during the day)
We will have a chance to visit a rural school, so I want to bring some fun supplies to give to the kids. (As an artist I'm partial to colored pencils and markers ;) )

I'm not really the picture taking type (I feel like I can't "Be in it" and take a picture of it at the same time - so I just forget) but I'm going to bring along a cheap disposable camera just in case. I'll share whatever I manage to capture with you all.

That's all - just feeling the excitement build. I never thought I would visit India so soon. =)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We are all excited with the news of your India visit and that you would probably be able to visit Delhi. You said 'a quick trip', how many days? If I am correct your stay will mostly be in South India. See as many temples there as possible, they are our treasures. The reports say there are more women pick-pockets on Delhi Metro than men. It is very convenient for Delhi commuters, but nothing special. Mumbai even has a monorail. The Kumbh Mela has begun at the four places. If I can be of help in Delhi, I will be very happy.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
We are all excited with the news of your India visit and that you would probably be able to visit Delhi. You said 'a quick trip', how many days? If I am correct your stay will mostly be in South India. See as many temples there as possible, they are our treasures. The reports say there are more women pick-pockets on Delhi Metro than men. It is very convenient for Delhi commuters, but nothing special. Mumbai even has a monorail. The Kumbh Mela has begun at the four places. If I can be of help in Delhi, I will be very happy.

Thank you Aupji for your kind offer. We will be starting out journey in Delhi. The itinerary says 3 days but with travel it's really only 2. We are actually making a loop of northern India. There's so much to see that the south will need its own trip. We will be in the North for 11 days. Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Khojuraho and Varanasi.

What temples should I visit in Delhi? I will only be able to travel in the metro area, but even then I see on a map there are more than I will be able to see. =)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm guessing there are 10 000 + temples in Delhi. So 10 a day ... hmmm ... 3 years. FH, they're everywhere. One thing I started out doing while riding was watching for them and doing passing namaskaram gesture out the car window. Eventually I tired of that, as it was every couple of minutes.

But one thing that might assist you, is just asking at the hotel desk. "Where is the nearest Hindu temple to walk to?"
I remember in Bangalore, Salem, Madurai, etc., that being a very successful way to find a quaint and smaller place to visit God for a bit. Personally, I found these varieties of temples at least as interesting as the famous ones you hear about, but in a different way.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Here is a temple/gurudwara/mosque list to choose from (of course, there are many more):
Gurudwara Sisganj )
Jama Masjid )
Jain temple )
Shiva temple ) all in Chandni chowk, all old

Bhairav temple where liquor is offered to the deity.
Jhandewalan Durga temple (the name means the temple with a flag)

Birla temple )
Swaminarayan temple )
Bahai temple ) newer temples, last two not really Hindu, but choice is yours. Both are architecturally good.

Timewise, Jama Masjid, Birla Mandir, Swaminarayan temple and Bahai temple will take more time. Of course you would pass by the President's house, Indian Parliament, and perhaps stop for an icecream at India Gate.

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I'm guessing there are 10 000 + temples in Delhi. So 10 a day ... hmmm ... 3 years. FH, they're everywhere.

But one thing that might assist you, is just asking at the hotel desk. "Where is the nearest Hindu temple to walk to?"

I was telling my husband the other day, "You don't understand - here I have to drive at least an hour before finding even one temple. In India I'm going to trip over them!'

I do want to go to some smaller, less frequented temples. I hope the smaller ones are friendly to visitors. Thank you for the tip about asking where the nearest one by foot is. I do want to do a lot of walking =)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Here is a temple/gurudwara/mosque list to choose from (of course, there are many more):
Gurudwara Sisganj )
Jama Masjid )
Jain temple )
Shiva temple ) all in Chandni chowk, all old

Bhairav temple where liquor is offered to the deity.
Jhandewalan Durga temple (the name means the temple with a flag)

Birla temple )
Swaminarayan temple )
Bahai temple ) newer temples, last two not really Hindu, but choice is yours. Both are architecturally good.

Timewise, Jama Masjid, Birla Mandir, Swaminarayan temple and Bahai temple will take more time. Of course you would pass by the President's house, Indian Parliament, and perhaps stop for an icecream at India Gate.

Thank you Aup!

Our first hotel happens to be across from the Bahai Lotus Temple. It looks impressive but with so many Hindu temples to see I probably won't go inside. The Jama Masjid is on the list - I've enver been inside one before. Looks like I'll have to be picky. =)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Another question:

In the past when I've gone of trips (from an hour away to several hundred miles) I always say a prayer of thanks and make a request for safety and if anything should happen to me, to take care of my loved ones.

Is there something more formal I should do for a trip like this? It is technically structured like a vacation but internally I'm treating it like a spiritual trip because I don't know if or when I'll ever be able to go back. I've seen Indian children ask for a blessing from parents before departing on a journey - can something similar be achieved by visiting a priest?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Boss and I always buy an archana the day before (or the morning of) departure, and pray specifically for good travel. But as far as I know there is no specified ritual.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The line with which my wife starts a journey is:

"Sadā Bhavāni dāhine, sanmukh rahein Ganesh,
pānch dev rakshā karein, Brahmā, Vishnu, Mahesh"

The five are underlined. Well protected from all sides.

(May the Mother Goddess always remain on my right, Ganesha be in front;
the five Deities may protect us, Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh.)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
The line with which my wife starts a journey is:

"Sadā Bhavāni dāhine, sanmukh rahein Ganesh,
pānch dev rakshā karein, Brahmā, Vishnu, Mahesh"

The five are underlined. Well protected from all sides.

(May the Mother Goddess always remain on my right, Ganesha be in front;
the five Deities may protect us, Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh.)

Thank you Aup, and V,

I will recite this before I leave and go to the temple for an Archana (if they'll give me one) =)

Maya3

Have any of you been here? South Florida Hindu Temple - Welcome to the Temple Experience !!!
My husband and I will be in the area next thursday and I was thinking of stopping by, we are driving down to the Keys :) and will just pass by after lunch. It looks like they are closed between noon and 6 PM. I e-mailed them just to make sure. But I wonder if maybe it´s worth it just to see it, even if you just walk around on the grounds? It looks beautiful.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Website makes it look nice, Maya. I'd definitely stop, but that's me. This car stops at all Hindu temples.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
A question for those who have been to India and gone to Indian temples. (maybe it's different from north to south - if so I'll be in temples in the north)

Is there a drastically different way I need to conduct myself when at temple? Here in the US, I greet people with a smile, try to be personable. Is it appropriate for me to greet the priest or do I maintain I kind of reverent distance? Do I smile or is that considered too personal?

I'm planning on visiting the Kalkaji Temple in South Delhi. It's within walking distance of our first hotel. It has an interesting history. I'm not bringing a camera, obviously, and I will bring flowers when I go. Just wondering if there are any major differences.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
A smile will do wonders with the priests as well as other devotees. You will yourself smile when you visit temples in India. It does not require any effort. My sister-in-law lives near that temple. She will be glad to take you around, or my niece who is studying for her master's in Philosophy at Delhi University (if you so desire), though she is not a philosophy kind of girl.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
FH, sometimes we encountered unnecessary positive attention, especially in temples away from tourist trails. The locals or priests were just so happy to see Caucasian Hindus with devotion to God that they went out of their way for us. We were often approached by speakers of English, because they were sensitive and kind enough to know we probably didn't know Tamil.

So at first that seems so much like a good thing, but eventually it wears, and you just wish you could be 'one of them'. The dark side is touts who assume you're a multi-millionaire willing to part with it.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
FH, sometimes we encountered unnecessary positive attention, especially in temples away from tourist trails. The locals or priests were just so happy to see Caucasian Hindus with devotion to God that they went out of their way for us. We were often approached by speakers of English, because they were sensitive and kind enough to know we probably didn't know Tamil.

So at first that seems so much like a good thing, but eventually it wears, and you just wish you could be 'one of them'. The dark side is touts who assume you're a multi-millionaire willing to part with it.

Thank you for sharing you experience. I know better than to think I'll just slip by unnoticed. I anticipate the staring I get at temples at home will be magnified and while it's still a little unsettling I'm mostly used to it. At least for a first visit, if people approach me, as long as they're friendly it might be a nice opportunity to speak Hindi. When you're visiting a place you've never gone where the culture is very different I think having overly enthusiastic people is better than the alternative. Especially since I am feeling nervous about my trip lately. (I tend to be socially awkward in first meetings and that's with my fellow countrymen). But I can see where after you get the swing of things you just want to be left alone and treated like a regular person.

As for the touts, all I can do about that is walk past them and ignore them and hope they get bored with me. =)