• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell Us About Yourself!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hmm, lets see....:cool: . Ill tell some facts, then things that consume me from experiences.

Born in canada. Live in USA, married, no kids. Drive semi for living.

Have had wrong things happen to me from employers and banks. Based on that, my mind is consumed with the goals of freedom. My goal is to be debt free and make a homestead. So far, the goal is being reached, slow and steady.

Believe in God and a after life. Hate hypocrisy. Who doesent though, right? I wonder if hypocrites hate hypocrisy? Only in others i gauss.

Am a libertarian. Government over regulates. I hate it. Like exercise, id like to do more if i wasnt working so much. But, will do so down the road after the goal is all reached, if i dont die before then obviously.
Sounds familiar.

I was born in Americastan, but was headed to Canuckistan...until Nixon cancelled the draft in the nick of time.
Lifelong unbeliever who was never even remotely tempted by religion.
I became a Libertarian as soon as I discovered they exist....somewhere between voting for George McGovern (72) & voting for Roger MacBride (76).
Worked as a mechanical engineer in several different fields (aerospace, medical, transportation, industrial) before landlording & then retiring (while still landlording & becoming a Social Security moocher.
Now I landscape at my compound, & support industrial history preservation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nothing to see here...These aren't the droids you're looking for...move along....:p
I'll do it for you......
I was born in a hollow of a walnut tree to parents who were in the nut collecting business.
They also had a hobby of burrowing into people's attics, ruining their insulation, & filling
it up to the rafters with empty walnut shells. As a youngster, I studied walnut eating, &
attic ruination. As an adult I followed in my parent's footsteps. Now retired, I spend my
days collecting & eating walnuts, destroying attics, & watching Rocky & Bullwinkle.
And yes, I am cute as the dickens when I fill my cheeks up with walnuts.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
In recent months, I have grown more and more convinced that if some of my good friends that I know offline were to post here and I only had text and debates to go by, I'd probably not like them nearly as much as I do. Ditto for them if they only saw that one aspect of me.

This thread is for you to tell other RFers about yourself. It could be an introduction, a personal story, or even just a bunch of random facts about yourself. Basically, this thread is meant as a reminder that RF is a community, not just a virtual war zone of debates and heated disagreement.

Go ahead! And don't hesitate if you're a new member. Everyone is welcome to post about themselves here. :D

I'm just you average Joe, 3 kids all over 20,single (in case anyone is desperate), 2 of my children live here and one in new Zealand so I spend 6 month here and 6 months in new Zealand where I'm going soon.
This coincides with summer here and summer there, forgotten what winter is, I'm in the thinking "this sounds like a good idea" stage of going to Vietnam after nz, been offered by a charity to teach English as a foreign language

Quite funny as I write English like it's a foreign language,the work comes with a moped, basically a by cycle with an engine, accommodation food and even pay, minimum of 3 months though, daughter thinks I'm a late developed teenager.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm just you average Joe, 3 kids all over 20,single (in case anyone is desperate), 2 of my children live here and one in new Zealand so I spend 6 month here and 6 months in new Zealand where I'm going soon.
This coincides with summer here and summer there, forgotten what winter is, I'm in the thinking "this sounds like a good idea" stage of going to Vietnam after nz, been offered by a charity to teach English as a foreign language

Quite funny as I write English like it's a foreign language,the work comes with a moped, basically a by cycle with an engine, accommodation food and even pay, minimum of 3 months though, daughter thinks I'm a late developed teenager.
In my expert judgment, you rite reely goud.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Had a great childhood outside school which i skipped when i could to dig in the mud with the archaeologists or swim in the river.

When you are told you are a failure who wouldn't amount to anything is motivation enough to have the truant inspector knocking on our front door every month.

Being an undiagnosed dyslexic is no fun for a kid so i failed at school miserably until it was diagnosed age 14. Prismatic glasses and green light/paper/screen meant i went from failure to college in 4 years then to university.

Set up a graphics design business with a fellow graduate, married him. Business pressure meant we had kids late, triplets when i was 35, one of each... Oops sorry, twins and daughter 4 years later.

25 years after setting up the busines, which had become internationally successful, we sold the company for telephone numbers, retired to france and are enjoying life here on RF among other pastimes.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What did you find most attractive about Meher Baba, and which of his writings would you most recommend?
The first thing that struck me was listening to Richard Alpert read his message on drugs. I was stoned at the time and it was like a light turned on in a dark room. I knew he knew what I was experiencing.

Further on I was challenged by his claim to be God in human form and read a lot about his life which is so far outside any typical life that my question was deepened.

In terms of writings, a short one that summed up quite a bit for me was the Highest of the High:

I am neither a mahatma nor a mahapurush, neither a sadhu nor a saint, neither a yogi nor a wali. ...
The question therefore arises that if I am not a sadhu, not a saint, not a yogi, not a mahapurush, nor a wali, then what am I? The natural assumption would be that I am either just an ordinary human being, or I am the Highest of the High. But one thing I say definitely, and that is that I can never be included amongst those having the intermediary status of the real sadhus, saints, yogis and such others.

Now, if I am just an ordinary man, my capabilities and powers are limited — I am no better or different from an ordinary human being. If people take me as such then they should not expect any supernatural help from me in the form of miracles or spiritual guidance; and to approach me to fulfill their desires would also be absolutely futile.

On the other hand, if I am beyond the level of an ordinary human being, and much beyond the level of saints and yogis, then I must be the Highest of the High. In which case, to judge me with your human intellect and limited mind and to approach me with mundane desires would not only be the height of folly but sheer ignorance as well; because no amount of intellectual gymnastics could ever understand my ways or judge my Infinite State.
From my point of view, far more blessed is the atheist who confidently discharges his worldly responsibilities, accepting them as his honorable duty, than the man who presumes he is a devout believer in God, yet shirks the responsibilities apportioned to him through Divine Law and runs after sadhus, saints and yogis, seeking relief from the suffering which ultimately would have pronounced his eternal liberation.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Had a great childhood outside school which i skipped when i could to dig in the mud with the archaeologists or swim in the river.

When you are told you are a failure who wouldn't amount to anything is motivation enough to have the truant inspector knocking on our front door every month.

Being an undiagnosed dyslexic is no fun for a kid so i failed at school miserably until it was diagnosed age 14. Prismatic glasses and green light/paper/screen meant i went from failure to college in 4 years then to university.

Set up a graphics design business with a fellow graduate, married him. Business pressure meant we had kids late, triplets when i was 35, one of each... Oops sorry, twins and daughter 4 years later.

25 years after setting up the busines, which had become internationally successful, we sold the company for telephone numbers, retired to france and are enjoying life here on RF among other pastimes.

My eldest son struggled because he was dyslexic, bunked school because he wasn't doing well but now really successful, must be something to it.

ChristineM

Premium Member
My eldest son struggled because he was dyslexic, bunked school because he wasn't doing well but now really successful, must be something to it.

Happens to the best of us, ask daVinci or Einstein.

Glad he got over the school problems, they are a real downer.

ChristineM

Premium Member
He was unhappy, there was no real understanding of it and not much help and although school wasnt a success
he found his way.

Sounds pretty much like me. Without understanding that the main skill in school (being able to read) is an impossible chore school is a torture.

I was lucky, aids were available for the type of dyslexia i have so once i was diagnosed the world was my mollusk.

I still have problems not seeing a word is spelled wrong, particular if its a valid word anyway, there, their etc.

Do you have a location in mind yet for your homestead?

We live currently in North carolina. When we do it, we will probably do it in south carolina (less property taxes). No specific location yet. First wer saving enough to pay for it in one lump some. No financing, no loans. Defenately in the country though.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll do it for you......
I was born in a hollow of a walnut tree to parents who were in the nut collecting business.
They also had a hobby of burrowing into people's attics, ruining their insulation, & filling
it up to the rafters with empty walnut shells. As a youngster, I studied walnut eating, &
attic ruination. As an adult I followed in my parent's footsteps. Now retired, I spend my
days collecting & eating walnuts, destroying attics, & watching Rocky & Bullwinkle.
And yes, I am cute as the dickens when I fill my cheeks up with walnuts.

upload_2018-10-12_16-9-32.png

[ A young Revoltingest gloating over his first eviction. ]

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was born, the power in the hospital went off as soon as I took my first breath. If you happen to have watched TV during the late 1960's and early 1970's the significance of the name of the doctor that delivered me will mean something to you as well. His name was Robert Young. When I was in my early 20's, attending college, I was making my regular, monthly, drive home for the weekend. As I entered a small town on the route home, the lights all over the town went out. As I approached the city limit sign, as I exited the town, I could see the lights of the town come back on in my rear view mirror. While working as an adult, I would often leave work in the evening, well after dark. On a number of occasions, while walking along the sidewalk to my car, two of the lights along the walkway would often go out as I approached. I attribute this to coincidence, but it makes for some amusing stories about one of my secret super powers. Imagine all the power outages correlated to births, miles driven and other reasonable explanations like shorts in wiring triggered by the vibration of a person walking and it is merely coincidence. Still, you may not want to get on my bad side in case I am wrong. Look out Spider-Man.

I am a first generation Ozarkian, raised in a small Missouri town. I have engaged in many of the activities associated with rural life and the outdoors and enjoyed them fully. The Ozarks is known for it clear, gravel-bottom streams and rivers and I spent a significant portion of my free time enjoying the benefits of those natural wonders.

I did well in school and excelled in science. Not surprisingly, in college I majored in biology and chemistry, and eventually pursued and achieved a graduate education in entomology. I still toy with the idea of returning to school for further study or even study in a different field, like law. It is not an uncommon occurrence for members of my family to pursue higher education as an older student as several, including my own mother, did just that.

I enjoy reading and have since I was a child. When I was 10 years old, I managed to read, "Stranger in a Strange Land", "Bill the Galactic Hero", the Bible and a western entitled "Ride Slocum Ride". The latter was a book I checked out of our local library and clearly, the nature of that book was not understood by the library staff and certainly not by my parents. It was an educational book for a 10 year old. Certainly inappropriate. But I remember it well. I read other books that year and many since, but those were the ones that stand out in my memory. If your child comes home with "Ride Slocum Ride" or any Western written under the name Jake Logan, it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with those works.

Occasionally, I write poetry, articles on natural history for local consumption and I have written technical articles within my field. Writing is something that I am constantly considering doing more of, but never seem to overcome my own inertia and actually do it. I may be coming to a point where I finally exceed my personal limitations and do something about that.

My parents were Christian, but not fundamentalists and we often had family discussions about religion, history, politics, science and almost any subject under the sun. Borrowing a description I heard from others, we were book people. I attended a Baptist church until I was about 16, at which point I decided that I wanted to hang out with my buddies who were all Methodists. My parents left the decision to switch up to me as long as I was going to a church. I don't respond well to the more emotive and charismatic displays of faith and I fit in well at the Methodist church anyway. Not to say that I was immersed in that at the Baptist church. As I said, the move was based mostly on social reasons and not on doctrine or practice.

Being disposed to a certain mindset to begin with and trained in science, my view on things, while not without flaw, tends to be more analytical. I could go on about myself, but that is enough I think. Sometimes, even when the opportunity is actually about me, it is a good idea to know when to stop.