• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me, you who are at home.

I've run into people who don't yield the other half of the sidewalk.
They just proceed....oblivious to anyone else approaching.
Btw, I was literal above.
What do you mean? They walk in the middle with their arms held wide open?

Have you ever walked past or has a person walked past you who had an umbrella or parasol open but was of shorter stature? Do you know those 'end tips' can poke an eye out?

'Whoa, watch out lady. You almost took out an eye'.

Wow, how they look similar...

KZqDDILj2wm8TYPl8XnmL5brrQW2RqAZn-nL4Ws6vFCxrg-oYNiHL3Zav8hQ3Wy2YTsSlrQ=s102

The 'father' of incumbent President of Syria.

And one of his sons?

220px-Assad_family.jpg

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
Another bit: I'm walking on the sidewalk approaching the corner curb to cross the street. The light is red and I will have to stop and wait until it turns green so I can cross. I'm about 7 feet away from the curbside to wait. Well, this male and female couple are walking perpendicular on the sidewalk. They are heading West while I'm heading South. Same sidewalk. However since I'm walking and with a certain 'gait' of step, as well as they, I 'assume' that as I'm approaching the curbside with only a few feet left in front of me, that the couple would choose the 'larger' space of sidewalk to pass. Which would be to my rear and not my front. But no.. They desire to be less than 1 foot away from the edge of the sidewalk to pass me rather than taking up the 4 or 5 feel that is behind me.

I rethink about that .. So i turn, cross the way they crossed, approach them on the other side of the street and ask them, 'are you from around here'? The guy responds, 'why'? And so I tell him, 'you just cut me off'.

He goes on to say that this is a free country, that the sidewalk and all places public are 'free' to be used in anyway any person wants. I ask him if he is from another State or something. He said he was from Ohio or Utah, or Idaho or something. He has this very thick heavy accent that is not Ohio or Utah, or Idaho. So I ask him if he is a U.S citizen. He says, 'yeah..in fact i come from direct lines to citizens of the U.S when it was still in Colonies'.

Well, you can figure the rest out... I come to find out that his accent was German. I guess his family 'line' went from Colonial days to being a German citizen.. But still. Cutting off persons is not favored in the U.S. So: Imagine if I was in Germany, visiting, or recently moved in.. I really ought to do things 'their' way, right? After all, I'm under 'their' jurisdiction, right? And who knows? They might find what I was doing, which is contrary to their customary ways, offensive. And who knows what kind of 'revenge' customs they might have? Would I; being only a 'newbie' there?

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on the way you have your personal outllook, every State in the U.S teaches schools in English.

But if I were to enter into any ChinaTown in the U.S, I would not think of showing anything 'contrary' to their customary ways of doing things. Even if they 'cut' off or 'pushed' a bit. Why? Because they are speaking and doing their 'things' in Chinese, not English. And it would be okay. It would be okay because on the sign entering into that 'district', there was a big green sign on the side of the road that read: China Town. Welcome.
And so, I was appreciative that they let me know what I was going to 'deal' with if I stopped and did any kind of 'interacting' there; even if only to buy some vegetables. I wonder if they ever think of any 'non Chinese' persons there as offensive because they come across as 'anti-sociable' because they do not engage in any kind of verbal communication?

I was talking to a person I know a little the other day about respect and how certain persons demand respect although they don't give any respect to any. He laughed. And I continued, and even when they are given respect, they still don't reciprocate.
If you were going to have to stop and they crossed in front of you, I don't think they cut you off.

One last thing: State Government.

If they are questioned to their Authority Jurisprudence, would they bring in the residents if they are 'timid' being questioned under scrutiny?

To be pretty 'blunt', there are some 'rumors' floating around on wings' of butterflies to the current President's personal lifestyle choices...

Would you really like to know how Syria has fallen?

Syrians go all the back to Genesis 25:20 "And Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebekah to wife, the daughter of Bethuel the Syrian of Padanaram, the sister to Laban the Syrian."

Shame or glory for Syria, today?

Last edited:
If you were going to have to stop and they crossed in front of you, I don't think they cut you off.
But to stop would have still meant the same thing. Their proximity to the edge of the curb would have been more profitable to their own persons' well being if they chose the 'broader' opening. Why would they want to 'squeeze' in through a tight space if they can choose the wider space?

The edge of the curb, then road. Why need to go off sidewalk onto road if you don't have to?

If it was any other person that was there, the other person might not have stopped for them at all but pushed them off the curb..

So even though i did stop about 1 foot, 12 inches, away from the curbside, they still 'forged' on in that little space.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I was walking down the street the other day trying to get to an appointment. These 2 ladies strolled by as I was standing on the sidewalk. For some reason the ladies did not know how to maneuver themselves around myself standing there in a stationary position. So they pretty much 'ran' over me. I told them, 'you really ought to not step over others only so you can get by'.
Let's get some basic facts, please.
Were you walking? Stationary?
Or did they have to step over you?

You don't seem to know.
Tom

Which you drive (albeit painstakingly slowly, pissing off everyone behind you) on the left side of the road...
Right side of the road = speed limit - 5-7 mph.
Left side of the road = speed limit max or often times + 5-7 mph.

So yeah.. If you're on the left side of the road going slower than the posted speed limit, it can get frustrating.

Even on Freeways or Highways on zipper lanes or carpool lanes. The maximum speed is still 65 or 55 or 50 regardless of which 'lane' you are on.

And get this. Why buy a high end sports vehicle if you can only use a fraction of what it was made for?

Is that just nonsensical or what?

You live in a 5 bedroom, 3 and 1/2 bathroom home by yourself.. Go figure that one out..

You want to know who would just 'love' to live in a home like that all by themselves?

Those who are known as 'hoarders'. More space would mean more.

Although these high end sports cars and multi bedroom and bathroom homes are owned, why spend the 'cash' for things you are not going to use; such as 9/10th of the sport's vehicle and 4 bedrooms and 2 and 1/2 bathrooms?

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
But to stop would have still meant the same thing. Their proximity to the edge of the curb would have been more profitable to their own persons' well being if they chose the 'broader' opening. Why would they want to 'squeeze' in through a tight space if they can choose the wider space?

The edge of the curb, then road. Why need to go off sidewalk onto road if you don't have to?

If it was any other person that was there, the other person might not have stopped for them at all but pushed them off the curb..

So even though i did stop about 1 foot, 12 inches, away from the curbside, they still 'forged' on in that little space.

Suddenly, three paces away from my enemy, I made up my mind unexpectedly; I closed my eyes and—we bumped into each other forcefully, shoulder to shoulder! I didn’t yield an inch and walked by him on completely equal footing! He didn’t even turn around to look at me and pretended that he hadn’t even noticed; but he was merely pretending, I’m convinced of that. To this very day I’m convinced of that!​
- Dostoevsky, Notes from the Underground.

Syria is a traditional society with a long cultural history.[1] Importance is placed on family, religion, education and self-discipline and respect. The Syrian's taste for the traditional arts is expressed in dances such as the al-Samah, the Dabkeh in all their variations and the sword dance. Marriage ceremonies are occasions for the lively demonstration of folk customs.

170px-FemaleFigurineSyria5000BCE.jpg

Female figurine, Syria, 5000 BCE. Ancient Orient Museum.

220px-Queen_Kaahumanu.jpg

220px-Church_of_Saint_Simeon_Stylites_01.jpg

Church of Saint Simeon Stylitesnear Aleppo is considered to be one of the oldest surviving churches in the world

Kawaiahaʻo Church is known as the "Westminster Abbey of Hawaiʻi": site of royal inauguration, christenings, funerals and tomb.

History of Syria - Wikipedia

It was under this lady,

220px-Queen_Kaahumanu.jpg

that the 'kapu' system of Hawaii was disrespected and broken. When she gave to the 'other women' the foods which were forbidden to females in the Royal House. And this began the process of Hawaiian culture degradation.

The 'kapu' punishment for what she did was punishable by death and demanded that whoever committed these 'trespasses' be immediately put to death. But since she was the 'Queen ruling', the rightful heir to the Throne as King, Lihiliho, was supposed to have carried out the punishment. And since this lady was the one who reared him up as a 'consort' mother, he might have had reservations to do so. Had he kept to the Established Kapu Laws and ways with its punishments and enforcements, he would have been King, and the Kapu system could still be in tact to this day.

And still yet there is another striking similarity between Syria and Hawaii other than 'art' and architecture and etc.....

Their quick temper to anger and constant reminding of 'wrongs' committed to personal prides, are very strikingly similar.

In today's time, 'Fact', often times will prove enough to prove or show 'correct' over 'incorrect' to actual events, timelines, etc.... However in some places, even though the 'fact' can be provided to which their 'personal pride' was offended and to ancestors long asleep, they, for some reason, seem as if they are part or have some part of 'ancestral worship' to which if they find that which has fallen asleep to be in disrepute would 'hinder' their 'worship' to those certain 'offenses' which 'fact' can show.

And 'ancestral worship' is the very 'thing' which began 'idolatry' in the very very beginning first place in time's history.

Those who do not associate themselves in the 'worshiping' of ancestors are not too easily offended towards 'rude' comments to ancestors of their past which they nor their parents have met and can much easier confess and profess that their 'lineage' has improved or 'decreased'.

These 'past' deceased are not fathers and mothers recently passed. They are generations and generations in the past, some up to over 240 years ago.

241 years doesn't sound like too long, does it.

It would be as if my home would be 'worshiping' a member of either my mother's or father's side to their parents' parents' parents' parents' and so on...

So strangely though, a parent is often forgotten. Many in the past were intermarried to persons of a completely different 'race' yet that race or those persons to their ancestors are never worshiped.

For example. King Kamehameha was not the direct 'father' to all the current Hawaiians. But many unknowledged Hawaiians claim that he is. And many Hawaiians do not have any direct lineage ties to King Kamehameha or to any of his wives which bore him children.

So if they did 'ancestral worship', some or many could actually be 'worshiping' a very distant distant uncle or aunt which are not really too related to begin with.

I understand that to have certain aspects of 'culture' brought to light can be seen as not be very respectable, but the better side than to say it is disrespectable to mention such things might be to acknowledge that it is more true, in terms of physical realities and properties, rather than an emotional reality. Not many are 'emotionally' bound as many others are not 'physically' or 'minded' bound.

So for the 'minded' ones to realize that these sorts of things do offend for certain reasons not told or explained to the 'minded' persons' understanding, could be a way for them to try and figure out or learn how such things of past, regardless of if it has direct relations to them or not, does effect that human life and maybe the lives of those around them. And the reason why they might find these knowledges beneficial could be for the fact of the physical/property side of living near to one another.

It is either that or there needs to be a segregation of sorts so that they can live without having these 'insults' received although no insult was intended.

Although I'm of certain 'cultures' and 'races', I admit very openly that there are many many many more persons, even not of those cultures and races, who know of these cultures and races more than I.

It is sad in a way to have to be born into a world where so much diversity needs understanding in order to not 'offend' any person of another 'group' of any kind, even marginalized.

What one person in that group finds offensive, another person in the same group finds lacking in interest. It's when they begin getting bundled together that the 'offenses' can become very needed to stay away from or corrected. Not only for current times but maybe even for the education and knowledges of their own children who might be required to grow near these 'persons'.

An example:

Why did 'you' get bullied but noone else, son or daughter? Why are 'you' the only one not liked but the rest of the class is? Did you offend them in some way, in any way?

Obviously, the 'marginalized' here would be that 1 person that got 'bullied'.

Mr. Barack Obama attended a private high school on the Island of Oahu. While he was attending he was one of the very few 'black' persons in that school. And he said that he remembers instances where the 'other students', the non 'blacks', would come up to him and 'play' with his hair because it was an 'afro'. They didn't quite understand the 'black afro hair' and they sometimes poked pun of it and him for being 'marginalized'.

Each City and Town and even small State can 'choose' what they would like for their Community. Some might prefer schools mixed in with Trade. Others might prefer only school. And still others might prefer only Trade. And School is not absolutely necessary nor the only way to be able make good earnings in living wages.

Skills are what is needed whether it be School learned skills or hands on skills.

Working with/alongside what is already there in those places can be easier but it can also be rougher. Sometimes to change things a bit, to remove and/or to add, could be the 'easier' route. The 'demographics' of those places can change.

Last edited:

Katja

I was walking down the street the other day trying to get to an appointment. These 2 ladies strolled by as I was standing on the sidewalk. For some reason the ladies did not know how to maneuver themselves around myself standing there in a stationary position. So they pretty much 'ran' over me.

I don't know what it is about these persons now days. They think they have every right to run persons over who are also needing to get places. Look. This is not 'drive on the left side' Country. If you want to drive on the left side of the road, you really shouldn't get mad if you get into a head on.

So... you were standing stationary in the middle of the sidewalk, and got mad at people walking on the sidewalk because it was awkward for them to pass you standing there taking up space? *You* got mad at *them*?? Um...

I've run into people who don't yield the other half of the sidewalk.
They just proceed....oblivious to anyone else approaching.
Btw, I was literal above.
I've literally run into them, too. No qualms, no apologies. I'm sorry if you want to walk four abreast with your friends and can't drop into single file for the two seconds it takes to pass me... I'm not stepping off into the mud or bushes, or squeezing myself as tiny as possible, to accommodate you.

What do you mean? They walk in the middle with their arms held wide open?

Have you ever walked past or has a person walked past you who had an umbrella or parasol open but was of shorter stature? Do you know those 'end tips' can poke an eye out?
Yes, I have. It's common to happen on narrow sidewalks in Thailand in the rainy season. One person raises their umbrella, the other one lowers, and they pass without incident. In addition, you try to take care when passing someone that you don't let the edges of your umbrella drip onto their head (not always possible, but you try).

Once got a hearty "Hey-- F you!" when the edge of my umbrella grazed the magazine the person I was passing had over their head. Quite a strong reaction to an accident if you ask me, especially considering the Thais are usually exceedingly polite.