• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me where in the Bible does Jesus clearly say that he's God

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Why would Jesus need to proclaim that he was God? Christ's purpose was to show man how to live FOR God in a parent/child relationship and to ultimately become the atonement for sin.

If one views God as limitless...one without boundaries and restrictions, Christ could very well have been God in the flesh, with a specific purpose and without the need to proclaim that he was God. In the flesh, God was one of us.

Animevox

In other words: "Blah, blah, blah -- I have no idea what I'm talking about, because I'm a Muslim, not a Christian -- blah, blah, blah." :ignore:

Oh, is it wrong because my assumptions and perception of theology doesn't agree with yours? Huh? Are you that close minded that you wouldn't be open to a completely different sense of understanding?

Wow, at least have a counter-argument. Your response is pathetic.

Besides, a good chunk of your argument is mostly nit-picked. I have hundreds of Christian friends that'll disagree with a WHOLE lot of stuff you said.

This is the problem with Christianity though. There's too much perceptions/beliefs/disagreements. It's too faulty a religion to be honest.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Oh, is it wrong because my assumptions and perception of theology doesn't agree with yours? Huh? Are you that close minded that you wouldn't be open to a completely different sense of understanding?
Intentionally provocative.

It won't work.

Nonetheless, had you bothered to read the rest of my posts, you'd have your answer. Your exegetical treatment of the texts you offered was nonexistent and, therefore, is worthy of being dismissed as an argument worthy of response.

Honestly, I'm not at all interested in an assessment from a Muslim POV where Christian doctrine is concerned. Sorry.

Your last sentence is a very good example of why I feel the way I do about the above. A plethora of perceptions is one of the best things about Xy, and if you don't understand that, you don't understand Xy well enough to assess its doctrines.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Why would Jesus need to proclaim that he was God? Christ's purpose was to show man how to live FOR God in a parent/child relationship and to ultimately become the atonement for sin.

If one views God as limitless...one without boundaries and restrictions, Christ could very well have been God in the flesh, with a specific purpose and without the need to proclaim that he was God. In the flesh, God was one of us.

In that case, we could all/each be God in the flesh. :shrug:

Animevox

It won't work.

Nonetheless, had you bothered to read the rest of my posts, you'd have your answer. Your exegetical treatment of the texts you offered was nonexistent and, therefore, is worthy of being dismissed as an argument worthy of response.

Honestly, I'm not at all interested in an assessment from a Muslim POV where Christian doctrine is concerned. Sorry.

Your last sentence is a very good example of why I feel the way I do about the above. A plethora of perceptions is one of the best things about Xy, and if you don't understand that, you don't understand Xy well enough to assess its doctrines.

Please, Get the word "Muslim" out of your head. Translated, it means "submitter to God" just as the Bible was before people corrupted it's meaning.

Islam also meaning "submission to God" is only turning on the light switch from past misunderstandings.

Animevox

It won't work.

If Jesus was God, why would the disciples continually refer to him with human titles like "servant" and "messiah of God", and consistently use the title "God" for the one who raised Jesus?

Animevox

Well...
We are the body of Christ...

Did they fear men? No! They boldly preached the truth fearing neither imprisonment nor death. When they faced with opposition from the authorities, Peter declared:

"We must obey God rather than men. The God of our fathers raised Jesus . . . " (Acts 5:29-30).

Were they lacking the Holy Spirit? No! They were supported by the Holy Spirit. They were - simply teaching what they had learnt from Jesus - that Jesus was not God but, rather, God's servant and Messiah.

Me Myself

Back to my username
In that case, we could all/each be God in the flesh. :shrug:

This is exactly what Jesus said when he was asked why did he said he was God.

It also goes perfectly in line with when he says that what you do to your brothers you did to him.

Shermana

Heretic
John 10:33 should be read as "You make yourself to be a god", just like John 1:1 it's an anarthrous Theos (Theon).

This explains much more easily why Jesus quotes Psalm 82:6 in John 10:34, the Israelites are all "gods". The meaning of "god" is not exactly clear, but if you look at the story of Samuel and the Witch of Endor, you'll see that his soul itself is called a god.

sojourner

Please, Get the word "Muslim" out of your head. Translated, it means "submitter to God" just as the Bible was before people corrupted it's meaning.

Islam also meaning "submission to God" is only turning on the light switch from past misunderstandings.
Yeah, but it also is the name for one who follows a religion that is not associated with xy in any theological, traditional, or cultural way.
FYI, there are no "past misunderstandings" with regard to the living faith of Xy that makes it inferior to any other religion, or that renders it in need of help from any other religion.

sojourner

If Jesus was God, why would the disciples continually refer to him with human titles like "servant" and "messiah of God", and consistently use the title "God" for the one who raised Jesus?
Jesus was fully human. Why shouldn't they refer to him as such?

sojourner

Did they fear men? No! They boldly preached the truth fearing neither imprisonment nor death. When they faced with opposition from the authorities, Peter declared:

"We must obey God rather than men. The God of our fathers raised Jesus . . . " (Acts 5:29-30).

Were they lacking the Holy Spirit? No! They were supported by the Holy Spirit. They were - simply teaching what they had learnt from Jesus - that Jesus was not God but, rather, God's servant and Messiah.
What are you on about here? This does not address the post you quoted.

Animevox

Jesus was fully human.

Just read John's Gospel.

That Gospel in its final form says one more thing about Jesus that was unknown from the previous three Gospels - that Jesus was the Word of God.

John means that Jesus was God's agent through whom God created everything else.

This is often misunderstood to mean that Jesus was God Himself. But John was saying, as Paul had already said, that Jesus was God's first creature. In the Book of Revelations in the Bible, we find that Jesus is:

"The Beginning of God's Creation" (Ch. 3, v. 14; see also 1 Corinthians 8:6 and Colossians 1:15).

Anyone who says that the Word of God is a person distinct from God must also admit that the Word was created, for the Word speaks in the Bible saying:

"God created me" (Proverbs ch. 8, v. 22).

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Just read John's Gospel.

That Gospel in its final form says one more thing about Jesus that was unknown from the previous three Gospels - that Jesus was the Word of God.

But that is saying an awful lot

Shermana

Heretic
Just read John's Gospel.

This is often misunderstood to mean that Jesus was God Himself. But John was saying, as Paul had already said, that Jesus was God's first creature. In the Book of Revelations in the Bible, we find that Jesus is:

"The Beginning of God's Creation" (Ch. 3, v. 14; see also 1 Corinthians 8:6 and Colossians 1:15).

Anyone who says that the Word of God is a person distinct from God must also admit that the Word was created, for the Word speaks in the Bible saying:

"God created me" (Proverbs ch. 8, v. 22).

You sir, deserve a medal. May your understanding be shared to many.

Shermana

Heretic
When those perspectives are held up as standards for the veracity of basic Christian beliefs, yes.
Ummm, did he say he was representing "basic Christian beliefs? And I think you mean mainstream orthodox Christian beliefs at that. Otherwise, the point being is that without those mainstream qualifiers, the text is clear that Jesus is NOT the same being as God.
If a concept is not understood, it cannot be adequately judged to be either agreeable or disagreeable.
And a person who's not a Trinitarian doesn't necessarily not understand the arguments and concepts of the Trinity idea. Even the early Trinitarians didn't quite seem to agree on what the understanding was.
No, I'm saying that Christians stand in a unique position to create meaningful theology out of the NT that carries any sort of authority.
Right, so in other words, they can go with whatever they want to read into it using their own interpretations that were at odds with other ideas.
No, I'm saying that a Christian doctrine can only be successfully argued from a Christian perspective. How can a fish argue successfully the merits of air?
Nothing close to the same. One can learn the Christian perspective without having to be a Christian and be able to critique it. Just as those who leave Christianity are still able to critique it.

Not cogent to the statement I just made. The theological framework of the text can't simply be dismissed.
But the "Theological Framework" is a purely subjective idea that is not exactly agreed on by all parties.

They are if they're applying an alien theological framework to it, and then calling it "wrong" for the original theological framework.
It wasn't an "Alien Theological framework" to the Arians, or to the JWs. It's only alien to Orthodox doctrine, and from there, you don't have to be one to know what they believe. As for Calling it wrong for Trinitarians, that's not the point, the point is saying that the Trinitarian perspective is objectively wrong for everyone who's not a Trinitarian. Obviously the Trinitarians are going to have their own interpretation, but there's most certainly a right to tell them that their perspective is wrong, using reasoning and grammatical exegesis. This becomes obvious when certain Trintiarians start denying facts and historical basics or outright making false claims to defend their claims. Eventually, one sides' argument must be wrong for the other to be right. It's not an "everybody's a winner" situation. A lot of people refuse to accept that they've lost a game and insist they've won even after the Judge says they lost, similar concept.

No I didn't. Here's another case of you twisting what I said. I believe I said that Arianism creates problems with biblical continuity. I never "wrote it off," nor did I say that it was "non biblical."
Nope, you said that it "Can't be reconciled biblically", that's not at all what you said originally, and I think "Can't be reconciled biblically" equates to "being non-biblical". You said nothing about problems with continuty, you said that it "can't be reconciled Biblically". It seems every time you accuse me of twisting what you say, you end up either flip flopping or restating with different wording with what you said originally. How convenient.

I disagree, again, if the views conclude that "our beliefs are wrong for us."
Then you seem to confuse "Wrong for you" with "Wrong in terms of objective reasoning". You might as well say it's wrong to tell Flat Earthers that it's wrong for them to believe the Earth is flat by this logic.

There's everything wrong with that!
Nuh uh.

These people are all Christians, and, as such, are entitled to their views of "what works for the Christian." So long as they don't condemn other Christians for holding different views.
Oh, you have a problem with Christians condemning other Christians for holding different views? Geeze, you would DEFINITELY not like the average Trintiarian Apologetic sites. So you're aware that Trinitarians have historically been condemning Arian-style believers even until the 1700s in England, right?
Not at all, although I am saying that no one can condemn other Christians. But that's entirely different from critiquing them.
What's the difference in your view between a critique and a condemnation of a view you hold as false? Have you not condemned many of my own views?

They would have that right, so long as they don't condemn.
I'm guessing you aren't too interested in spending the same energy telling Trinitarians not to condemn the JWs and Mormons? How do you stand on the historical abuse of those who disagree with Mainstream orthodox doctrines? Now why would you think they don't have a right to condemn? Do you not think YOU have a right to condemn views that you disagree with? Do I have permission to post quotes of you "condemning" perspectives you disagree with? Or what do you consider condemning exactly? Where is the line drawn between critiquing and condemning exactly?

Absolutely it is.
By all means explain how its "usurpation" and "misrepresentation" to point out that the text itself does not read how Trintiarians say it does without the Trinitarian extra-scriptural qualifiers. Are they misrepresenting the Trintiarian view or your Trintiarian perspective of the text? Or are they simply misrepresenting the Text itself, through your Trinitarian lens?
No, you don't get it. Usurpation does not argue within the framework.
By all means, feel free to explain what you mean by this ambiguous statement then.

Last edited: