• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tel Tibna Survey

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Yesterday and last Thursday we - a group of students - went to Tel Tibna, where we excavated last summer (see related posts 1, 2, 3), to learn archeological surveying methods. We split into groups. Some groups surveyed unexcavated areas, picking up whatever findings they could find - coins, indicative pottery shards, stone objects and so forth. The other groups set out to survey hewn structures. I was part of a group that surveyed a small mikveh on the lower part of the Tel - not the one we found last summer. Another group surveyed a loculi tomb with 9 loculi (here's an example of a loculi tomb from elsewhere), and the last group surveyed a small water reservoir.

Here are some pictures from our work on the mikveh:

The mikveh before we began working:

upload_2022-11-25_12-20-23.jpeg

The entrance after clearing out decades of garbage and mounds of stones:

upload_2022-11-25_12-20-53.jpeg

Findings from the first day of work (a bone, non-indicative pottery shards, two tesserae and an old (but modern) metal bowl):

upload_2022-11-25_12-22-15.jpeg

The entrance to the mikveh after the second day of work (turns out there were a lot more layers of garbage than originally thought...):

D מקווה האוכף המכונה מקווה.jpeg

The inside of the mikveh at the end of the second day:

upload_2022-11-25_12-27-57.jpeg

Our draft of the mikveh's plan from above and from the side (the arrow on the bottom-left points north). Line art will be drawn over this in Photoshop and that'll be included in the official survey publication (whenever that may come out):

upload_2022-11-25_12-30-17.jpeg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I do enjoy reading your archaeological exploits. Thanks for posting.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I am noticing there is the same white limestone as southern Lazio and also as other regions here.
It is a magnificent kind of stone to build edifices, walls. And it lasts millennia. It still is.