• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teenage plastic surgery

nutshell

Ryan2065 said:
How are the things you mentioned "barbaric" ? If they were forced upon the women then of course... Society required a man to be successful and a woman to be pretty in those days... If it was forced upon the woman then it was bad, otherwise...

I don't believe something has to be forced upon a woman to be considered barbaric.

However, in the case of the example I gave (foot binding and corsettes) each were forced upon women, IMO, to the extent that women began forcing it upon their daughter and grandaughters. This is exactly what's happening today. I read recently that one of the most popular high-school graduation gifts a mother gives her daughter now are breast implants because they want their daughters to be successful. This was the same reasoning given behind foot binding and corsettes. Women inflicted these barbaric practices upon their children because they wanted them to be successful.

If you don't think these practices are barbaric then I believe you don't know what true footbinding and corsetting was like - it's nothing like what's portrayed in he movies, especialy corsettes. I'll see if I can dig up some descriptive links for the horror lovers.

Booko

Deviled Hen
NetDoc said:
Personally, I hate augmented breasts. Only God can make the perfect breast.

And trampolines! :trampo:

As for that kind of elective surgery: they should have the same limits that they have for drinking: NOTHING doing for anyone under 21.

For the usual cases, sure. There are some instances where plastic surgery is called for where there are real deformities or repair needs to be done after accidents or burns, though.

nutshell

Booko said:
There are some instances where plastic surgery is called for where there are real deformities or repair needs to be done after accidents or burns, though.

:yes: I agree with that.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Ryan2065 said:
Agreed... way to play off the very very extreme situation =)

Sorry, but I personally know of this case. :rolleyes:

What about a girl who is picked on every day of her life for looking different and finally getting the opportunity to finally be raised to the status of "normal" ?

How "different" did you have in mind? I think there are some cases where this is quite justified. Oh...and not just for girls, thanks. But those cases have always been around, and no one was upset about excessive plastic surgery. Sheesh, there was a girl in my neighborhood who had a nose job because she'd had her's smashed as a child and it looked really bizarre, and she got it fixed.

But that's nothing like girls and women thinking they have to get cut up to look like some "ideal" that doesn't even exist anyway.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I still think people should look for non-surgical options long before plastic surgery. I have knees that are severly deformed, shin bones that are noticable bowed, and feet that aren't much better, and I have gotten around just fine. I was recommended surgery several times, but I declined.